RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beaten to death and I followed the manual and the advice I found here. I just finished taking off the drain plug in front, removed the dain cap and very little oil came out - only a few drops in fact. The bike is upright. I also moved the bike a bit more to the right, then to the left and still nothing. I got mayabe a tablespoon of oil out of that plug. Ideas??

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Don, you need to drain the oil tank, which the plug is underneath the bike. the plug is almost directly under the oil tubes going into and out of the oil tank. It is about a inch in from the bottom of the transfer case. look for a plug that goes in at a angle

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I understand there are 2 plugs that need to be opened. The front plug is an allen head bolt that's I believe 6mm (Ithink that's what I used). The other bolt I see is on the same same side (right) near the spring. This bolt doesn't appear to be at an angle but straigt down. The link that grizwarrior posted is the same one I looked at earlier this morning. I used the pics for reference, but the top pic is not what I see. The bottom one is. Is it normal to get only a few drops out of the engine drain?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The Yamaha manuals are wrong as far as drain plug locations.

One drain plug is for the crank case. It faces the inside of the lower tube on the left side (clutch side) near the mount for the shifter. Its a hex head & you need a box end wrench narrow enough to get between the frame & the head of the bolt.

The other drain is for the oil tank, its the same size hex head as above. Its located inside of the right side lower tube (throttle side). As stated above it points down at an angle.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see it. Man did I screw up. I already changed the filter and put in fresh oil. Now to do it all over again. I'm sending my son out to get new oil for me since I'm sweaty, oily and filthy (hot and muggy down here in the valley). I have another question now as well. While looking for the bolt on the clutch side, under the bike, I noticed an allen head bolt on the side cover at the very front of the engine right next to the clutch controls. What is it?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Figstr the bolt you removed and only got a few drops sounds like the bolt to the transfer case. Look under the the how to's and general maintenance section of the site. It provides very good pics.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The bolt he removed (I believe) is where the sensor-thingy goes at the shop to test oil pressure. No hard done shipmate. I did the same thing on my first oil change - freaked me out! Someone in here set me straight...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. I read that some here had trouble with the front bolt and needed to modify tools to get at it. I used the 17mm open end in the bike's too kit and tapped it with a hammer to break it loose. I had no problems at all getting to it. The wrench fit in there very well. I did get lucky with the oil change though. I didn't have a 17mm socket to get to the back bolt. Sooooo, off I went to get new tools[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] I got a complete new ratchet set with short and deep well sockets, plus some other goodies too. Don't ya just love buying new tools??[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] All total, about 130 pieces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts