RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to the service guy at my dealer, I asked if they could sub the HC pistons for me while the work is done. He replied that would cost me some bucks because then they would have to do a total tear down of the motor. He was trying to tell me that they don't have to tear down the motor, therefor, they would not do the swap without charging me for it. I thought, from what I understood, that this recall required a total tear down? what the **** is he talking about. Why would the kit come with new rings and such? They already ordered the kit, but now I am thinking that I want FullThrottle to do the work. If they ordered the parts, am I obligated?

Next question. OE is offering HC pistons for $299, don't I need to purchase rings and such, or do they use the rings that come with the recall kit?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
sounds like he's either an idiot or he thinks you are and is trying to make up for the extra time it takes to do the recall from what yamaha is paying them. When the kit comes in, just go in to see it, grab it and say thank you very much will have some one else do it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Dice

sounds like he's either an idiot or he thinks you are and is trying to make up for the extra time it takes to do the recall from what yamaha is paying them. When the kit comes in, just go in to see it, grab it and say thank you very much will have some one else do it.

Can you do that? Leave with the kit? Suppose they pull the "We can't let you have it, because we have to install it." line?

·
Registered
639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by redbullssg

. . . what the **** is he talking about.

He is either dishonest or incompetent. Either way, do you want him, or someone from a dealership that puts up with him, working on your bike?[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

The engine MUST BE torn down and the ENGINE CASES SPLIT. The right side engine case is fully emptied, while the left side engine case is left pretty much intact. Cylinders are out, pistons are out, rods are out. This is the way it MUST BE DONE if one goes by the Yamaha repair memo.

Go somewhere else, is my suggestion.

When you order HC pistons, they should come with rings. There should be NO CHARGE to put in HC pistons or Big Bore Kit (as long as the cases do not need to be machined).

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Clarification: rods don't come out. Parts you pay for are yours no matter what, the recal parts are charged out at ~89.00 and that includes oil, they may not however let you take them with you to another dealer. See if you can back out and go to another dealer cause it sounds like they're trying to make a fast buck on your acessory installation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would sure try to get the parts and go somewhere else. It sounds like those people are either incompetant or dishonest. I believe I would go somewhere else parts or no parts.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
my dealer wanted to charge me an hours labor to install the pistons during the recall. for some reason the $tip$ seemed to change his mind/emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yikes, if my bike is gonna look like that, I had better get HC pistons out of the deal... One way or another I am going to get it done. I am going to give him the benifit of the doubt and explain it to him again, if he still persist, then I'll tell him to keep that kit in a slightly less polite way!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, it happened to me also. They want me to pay one hundred dollars for the HC piston swap. I asked them how much labor they thought it would take and she replied that the service department had discussed it and all part swaps were going to be a hundred minimum. Needless to say, I am shopping around. I guess the largest dealer in Washington state has to pay the rent somehow. Anyone know of more recall friendly shops around the Seattle area?

·
Registered
455 Posts
This whole thing is ridiculous. They ought to be replacing your pistons for free considering that you've had to wait so long for parts. Do what Arthur said. See what shakes out.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not to mention that our strong, perfectly good motors are getting torn down for what could happen but probably won't. And are risking damage done by them that would otherwise never happen to other makes of bike. What do we get out of this, NOTHING!!! In fact, we are in the negative after this whole deal!!!! It is bullS$%^ that we are even hassled for wanting to get a lil sumpin sumpin out of it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys,

I'm worried that the dealer may not have qualified help ripping into my near-new bike. My warranty is nearly up. What is protecting me from having some half-wit mechanic botch the engine while intalling this kit and having me be out of luck with a crapped-out engine after my warranty is gone?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts