RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay do the dealers do anything other than change the oil at the first oil change. Do they check anything else. I plan on doing the first oil change myself was just curious if there was anything else common that I need to do as well? Any info would be great...

·
Registered
861 Posts
transfer case oil change. Your manual should tell you exactly what is done in the "service schedule" Good Luck

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
fj55pig said:
Okay do the dealers do anything other than change the oil at the first oil change. .....

Of course they do.....they also scratch your wheels, over-tighten your belt, forget to put the oil drain bolt back, forget to put enough oil in...etc, etc.

Do yourself a favor, get a copy of the service manual in pdf (somewhere on this site) and do it yourself. Go over all the bolts and make sure they are all torqued correctly. You will learn much more about your Warrior and feel safe in your mind when you go riding.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
RX_Warrior said:
fj55pig said:
Okay do the dealers do anything other than change the oil at the first oil change. .....

Of course they do.....they also scratch your wheels, over-tighten your belt, forget to put the oil drain bolt back, forget to put enough oil in...etc, etc.

Do yourself a favor, get a copy of the service manual in pdf (somewhere on this site) and do it yourself. Go over all the bolts and make sure they are all torqued correctly. You will learn much more about your Warrior and feel safe in your mind when you go riding.

Then charge you $600.00 for it all and tell you to have a nice day.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I figured they'd screw things up they usually do. I plan on doing the maintenance myself but was curious as to what all "is supposed to be done" That way I know that I'm getting everything done myself. Thanks for the info. Also does anyone have the PDF that was mentioned above?

Zach

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Since i bought my bike new i've never taken it to a Yami dealer. I've done everything my self from changing fluids (oil + transfer case), exhaust, coil relocations, new coils, BAK kit, AIS block off plates, PCIII, rear fender elimination kit. etc. There's more i've done but you get the picture. You usually can find info on any mod your interested in etc. on this site. Just spend some time and do a little research. The search feature on this site is worth it's weight in gold. The more you know, the more money you'll save to put towards more mods. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
fj55pig said:
 Yeah I figured they'd screw things up they usually do. I plan on doing the maintenance myself but was curious as to what all "is supposed to be done" That way I know that I'm getting everything done myself. Thanks for the info. Also does anyone have the PDF that was mentioned above?

Zach
The PDF file for the owners manual is at the top of any page under downloads.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I've got the best Yamaha service department on the planet (in my opinion). I do most of my own work but occasionally, I'll let them do stuff. The service manager has been building daytona roadrace bikes for the likes of team honda, suzuki and ducati since the frigging 70's. Heckofa nice guy, was like a hero of mine when I was in my 20's. Anyway, i I have a bearing that I need pressed in or out or stuff like that, I'll take it and a half rack of beer over to him and he'll hook me up. They did my 108, cams and heads etc for me. Some service departments are good but it's better if you can get a personal relationship going with the service manager.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not too worried about doing the mods and maintenance on my bike I've been working on cars and motorcycles for as long as I can remember. I am currently dabbling in my 71 fj55 landcruiser don't have a heck of alot of time with my job that's one of the reasons I bought the warrior (other than been wanting one since 02) need a dependable mode of transportation while the landcruiser is being restored. I have just been curious if respectible dealers do more than just change the oil.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Alright, I'm going to answer your question. A good dealership will do the following at 600 miles

-Check and adjust engine idle sped and synchronization

-Check and adjust the clutch cable if necessary

-Check operation of the front brake, check fluid level, and inspect for fluid leakage. They will also adjust brake lever free play if necessary. Same goes for the rear brake

-Check belt tension and adjust if necessary

-Check steering bearing assemblies for looseness (shouldn't be an issue at 600k)

-Check operation of the kickstand switch. (to make sure the bike shuts off if the stand is down while in gear)

-Change Engine oil and filter

-Change transfer case oil

-Check operation of front and rear brake switches

-Lube control cables

-Check operation of lights signals, and switches

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scoper50 thanks for the info. I may have to take the bike to my dealer due to my lack of free time. I only intend on doing this for the first tune hoping to have more time in a few months though hoping to get a raise in the next few months which will give me more vacation time each month which will give me more time for my bike and my other projects. Thanks Oh average price for this first tune up so that I don't get screwed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts