RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great, I just got my bike back yesturday from recall. I only added Yami HC pistons and 5th gear parts.
4NK-17151-00-00 Gear. 5th Pinion (28 tooth)
4NK 17251-00-00 Gear, 5th Wheel (21 tooth)

Results are fantastic. Before cruising at 3000 rpm meant 68 mph on my GPS. Now at 3000 rpm is 80 mph on my GPS. I noticed that the speedometer reads different than it used to. My GPS always read lower than my speedo before the recall so I would add 5 to the speed limit and figure I'm safe. Now its much closer and if anything the speedo is a little slower than my actual speed. I didn't expect this to be different, nonetheless it definatley is. My gas milage has gone way up, but this is partly due to the fact that I'm trying to be gentle for breakin. I've only been through 2 tanks, and can't give exact numbers, but normally I go about 90-95 miles before the gas light comes on. The last two tanks were both between 130-135 miles before the light came on. Again I've been easy on the gas today, but I've never gotten this many miles before. 5th gear is a great idea and worthwhile since your bike'll be torn down anyway. As soon as I can get 600 mile, I'll dyno it and get a new map for the PC3. Hopefully later this week.
Pictured:
Black 4th gears are new under the recall. The ones to the left are new 5th gears. What a difference.
New yami pistons High Comp.

*****New*****4/10 I just figured out one reason my gas milage increased so much. After recall my mechanic hooked themale/female power commander cord together instead of inline to the fuel injector. Anyway Its been running the stock fuel settings and this accounts for some of the fuel milage increase. Alittle too lean recently, but now I have a new custom map, and'll refigure my ecomony with the next few trips. When I get a copy of the map I'll post it in the maps to have forum. Anyway for now with Churchkey's V-bak,Samson Short Slashers, and HC pistons I got 89hp and 111ftlb torque.
Image Insert:

Image Insert:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I thought the difference in the gears was supposed to be 6.25%, yet your mph increased 17.6%. Was anything else changed?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I heard too (6.25%), but my results were much better. I think its a perfect fit. I can tell a bigger drop in 5th gear than normal, but doesn't affect anything else(except Speedometer). I couldn't tell you what numbers have what affect, just these ones. Churchkey posted these numbers and I'm very greatful. Just changed these 2 gears with recall and boom. Overdrive. Does that mean I might be able to start a 150 club...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was thinkking of doing the same thing.What is the price? What is the eta on the gears? reply asap. my bk gets the recall this wk.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is great.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] The current RPM at highway speeds is definitely too short. I'm may try this. Some questions:

- How much did the gears cost?
- Did you have to buy any other parts, or were just those two gears swapped out?
- How did you ask the dealer to do the install?
- Did the dealer give you any pushback?

Thanks,
Kenwood

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gears cost me $140.00 They told me when I ordered last week, that they were available at all of Yamaha's warehouses. No telling how many they have in stock, so I'd order them now if you really want them. No extra parts, just these two gears. My dealer didn't charge me to install either the gears or the pistons, but that doesn't mean your dealer won't. It doesn't take any extra time though, since they're already there taking the 4th gear off. Just slide a new 5th on while you're at it. No concerns from my dealer, It would either fit or not, and yes it did.

·
Registered
490 Posts
one question. do you notice a big decrease in power when you shift from forth to fifth? is it like up shifting from first to third and you notice to power loss?

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Thanks a lot for sharing the experience and the part numbers! I was waiting for someone to give it a try. Just ordered a set at my local shop and the should be here by tomorrow or latest Wednesday - just in time for the recall.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This bike really needs a 6th gear but since thats not an option I think I'll give it a try. As soon as my cam kit comes in my bike is going to the shop. I'll post the results when its done.BTW I thougt the stock 5TH gear was overdiven. Is that correct?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Your part #s don't look right Whalercat. You have two different #s in different posts. Can you veify the part numbers PLEASE!

quote:Originally posted by whalercat

My dealer gave me part numbers, but won't know until its apart if it'll fit. If I order the parts and they don't fit I'm stuck with um, but it may be worth it. I need a mod to extend my cruisin range.
5VN-17151-00-00 Roadstar 5th pinion $56.43
5VN-17251-00-00 Roadstar 5th wheel $69.88
total $126.31
warrior numbers are same with prefix 5PX
Note: roadstar part numbers are from 2004 XV1700AS/ASC motor

Does anyone else have any ideas? I have the schematics and there is one extra sleeve on the roadstar under 1st gear, but no other visual differances.

2002 Road Star 1600
Image Insert:

2002 Road Star Warrior 1700
Image Insert:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I ordered my parts today, from the dealership doing my recall work.

5VN-17151-00-00 2004 Roadstar 1700 5th (28T) pinion $51.30
5VN-17251-00-00 2004 Roadstar 1700 5th (21T) wheel $63.53

Should be in Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts