RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Penzoil

Waiting the results from Frankestein.

I hope its not going to take too long. My recall kit is here but I am still waiting on 122 cams from PR and some chrome parts from CI.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Originally my research lead me to the 5VN number because its from a 2004 1700 transmission. My mechanic suggested to use the same year part number from my bike which was 2002 1600 Roadstar (4NK part number). Churchkey posted the same 4NK number and I made a guess. So I used the 4NK even though it was for the 1600 engine it was an 02 like my bike. Hope this helps. I would guess that the 5VN number should work, because I doubt there is a difference in the shaft. They could even be the same part. 4NK did work on my 2002 model.
wildone-- No decrease in power at all going into 5th. If the little roadie engine can handle it, then big brother can too.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
We can't let you get away that easy![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]
We're doing minor stuff, but enough to keep up![/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

quote:Originally posted by Frankenstein

Chris and Rich,

And I thought I can outrun you guys with the new setup... **** [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK, so I'm less confident making a decision here.

Whalercat, can you say positively that the 4NK-17###-00-00 was what you used, and that they went in without any issues?

I'm inclined to go with the 2004 parts for the 1700 engine.

Frankenstein, Redhorse,
Are you feeling pretty confident in your selection of the 5VN-17151-00-00 pinion and the 5VN-17251-00-00 2004 wheel? Did you have any outside input to back up your decision, or just those excellent exploded diagrams and some Warrior intuition?

Thanks,
Kenwood

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
I ordered the 4NK parts just like Whalercat. His bike is back together and he has been riding it. Sounds good to me. Now I only have to convince my technician that it is "safe" to install those parts [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif].
Honestly I am 99% certain the 4NK and 5VN parts are identical.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
quote:Originally posted by Frankenstein

[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif].
Honestly I am 99% certain the 4NK and 5VN parts are identical.

My thoughts exactly. Just got back from another ride. I love my new 5th gear. Fits right in place with the other gears, but great cruising rpm. I'm hoping after my new map Thurs. I'll get 50mpg. Right now I'm at about 44-45mpg. Would like to break the 150 miles per tank barrier.

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK. I'm in. Just ordered on-line from an old on-line standby for me, Cycle-Parts.com.

4NK-17151-00-00 GEAR,5TH PINION $54.42
4NK-17251-00-00 GEAR,5TH WHEEL $67.42

I'm going with Whalercat and Frankenstein (there's something you don't say everyday) on this one and getting the old Roadstar parts.

I'll also post the results when done.

Thanks,
Kenwood

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
I think I'll put go ahead and put in my order tomorrow. I think I'd better check with the shop that's doing the work on my bike first though. I know the tech, so it shouldn't be much trouble to convince them....just hoping they don't have some sort of policy against it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whalercat, thanks for the info, however now I not sure what I'm going to do. Like Redhorse I ordered my gears with the 5VN- #'s last month. (have 2002) I'm just waiting for the rest($$$$$) of my parts to come in before I start the rebuild. Now should I have the dealer send the 5VN gears back for a set of 4NK-#'s? I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
That's ok Frankie, I'm still waiting the time for the installation of the NOS system. Maybe this week end. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I like the idea of less r's at highway speed, and increased gas mileage.
I know the top gear roll-on will hurt.
But instead I'll be grabbing fourth

Kyle

·
Registered
934 Posts
[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] Mine is being installed tomorrow w/ the Complete Speed Star Kit [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Roger, did you order the 5th gear as well? Finally something worthwhile for Shawn to go ahead and have the recall done. Wow, didn't see that one coming.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Jeff, I hooked him up, he's getting a set installed with his recall as well. He's actually taking my place too. I'm doing his valves while the heads are off. Next kits aren't projected to be in until the end of april. Gives me time for Leesburg, after that I'm tearing her down to the bone for some other enhancement goodies as well as the tranny recall.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Whalercat,
Thanks for the heads up on the gears! I ordered mine today. That means I'm only waiting on the hc pistons from PR. Called Dave today and he said they still haven't rec'd them. Not exactly what I wanted to hear....

The Ripsaws, PCiii, V-Bak, 31t pulley, OD gears, & new PIAA bulbs will all be here by weeks end. If the pistons are rec'd by PR tomorrow, they will be also. Teardown will be Monday with bike being back possibly Tue/Wed.

Can anyone here verify that the 2 diff. part #'s for gears were, in fact, the same gear/pinions? [edit] I did order the 4NK's for my 2002 Warrior. I'm tired now, but that's what I read an dre-read that Whalercat did. I can read, right?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Cool,
Roger must be excited. Add some more ponies. Maybe we'll hook up in Leesburg. I'll probably go Sunday.
Rrufast, yes you read correctly. 4nk definatly works, and 5vn most likely works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check with your service department as they should
have 5th gear sets from the first Road Star recall.
My dealer will sell these cheaper than ordering thru
parts.

21 - 40 of 260 Posts