RS Warrior Forum banner

41 - 60 of 260 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
quote:Originally posted by dr2152

Check with your service department as they should
have 5th gear sets from the first Road Star recall.
My dealer will sell these cheaper than ordering thru
parts.

Any gear sets left over will probably be used if they still have 'em casue they replaced the early recall work with the new parts.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Whalercraft and others who do this overdrive mod - a little more detail on what the feel is like when going from 4th to 5th...noticeable lug down or drop in rpm? What speed do you need to maintain to stay in 5th?

My concern would be how often i have to downshift to keep the RPM up or a noticeable drag when shifting. Other than that, i think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
df, I very seriously doubt you'll have trouble lugging this engine down. If you're above ~2k, then you're pretty much golden (unless you're trying to pass). I ordered the parts, so I'll let you know what I find whenever the recall gods smile on me.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Forgot to add that I ordered my parts yesterday. Total was $128.xx. Shoudl arrive Friday via dealer truck. Now if I could get my hc pistons from PR I'd be dealing! The dealer is now open on Monday, so they can start Mon if all parts are here Friday... I should (better) be riding by next Wed.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
DF, if these gears were good enough for the Road Star than they'd be good enough for a more powerful Warrior motor. I wondered why Yamaha wouldn't place them in our transmission in the first place given our limited fuel capacity. Two things came to mind: they are trying to keep the gear ratios close (you alluded to this), and that Warriors power would enable us to top out at higher speeds with this gear set and maybe wanted to slow us down.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JPWARRIOR

DF, if these gears were good enough for the Road Star than they'd be good enough for a more powerful Warrior motor. I wondered why Yamaha wouldn't place them in our transmission in the first place given our limited fuel capacity. Two things came to mind: they are trying to keep the gear ratios close (you alluded to this), and that Warriors power would enable us to top out at higher speeds with this gear set and maybe wanted to slow us down.

Plus this will hurt the warrior's top gear roll-on
Which so many people view as a big power indicater

Kyle

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Why would they worry about slowing us down. They made the the R1! At that point, why would they care.

I wish i wasn't rushed to do my recall. I wanted to do this but didn't have time to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have always felt that this bike needed another gear. I am always pulling the clutch that last time to check if it will ever show up.'[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]'
My dealer is closed now. I am going to call on Monday. Doing HC pistons and valve springs as well.

---Is there any concenses on part #'s at all?
---Are there any potential issues with the fifth gear besides speedometer?

Great thread!

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
Another question: Why would a change in gearing affect the speedometer? Does the ecu measure the speed of the crank and know what gear you're in? I wouldn't think so.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Don't think so either. My guess would be the faster you go the bigger the error. Maybe that's the cause for the difference experienced.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
quote:Originally posted by redbullssg

Why would they worry about slowing us down. They made the the R1! At that point, why would they care.

I wish i wasn't rushed to do my recall. I wanted to do this but didn't have time to.

The R1 was purpose built for just that. Ours wasn't. How many cruisers can even top 130, up until the last two or three years ago few even bested 110 mph.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I just figured out one reason my gas milage increased so much. After recall my mechanic hooked themale/female power commander cord together instead of inline to the fuel injector. Anyway Its been running the stock fuel settings and this accounts for some of the fuel milage increase. Alittle too lean recently, but now I have a new custom map, and'll refigure my ecomony with the next few trips. When I get a copy of the map I'll post it in the maps to have forum. Anyway for now with Churchkey's V-bak,Samson Short Slashers, and HC pistons I got 89 hp and 111 ftlb torque.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not for nothing. I think running at lower RPMS at the higher crusing speeds is all around better. Kind of what I was looking to do. I am still debating on the full worth of it though. Any other opinions on why this is a good option. I assume it does take away a little torque at the top end. Wouldn't you have a little slower response accelerating in the new fifth gear?

41 - 60 of 260 Posts