RS Warrior Forum banner

61 - 80 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Am I getting this correct? Do the 2004 Warriors already have this setup? (28/21) As well as the 1600's? Just not the 2003 or before Warriors?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
For those that have had this 5th gear mod to their Warriors already.

Could you please PM or post some info about the Dealership name, Mechanic who performed the recall/ engine rebuild, and their service phone #. This could alleviate some other service manager/mechanics hesitation on doing this for someone else (like myself).

Or even if you had a Yamaha Corp tech look into this. Post their # & name or even port their email. If you want to do it in Private then email or PM me.

I told my service manager about doing this and he was "are you sure this is going to work? Has this been done?" I'm like "oh sure, been done dozen times from the guys on the Internet forums." This would help ease their mind about liability.. etc..

I'm next on the list, all the Warriors in front have been done. Just waiting for a 1700 recall kit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I took my bike in last week I asked the shop manager if he had any left-over Roadie 5th gears. He said yes, and I asked if he would put them in and he said he would check it out. When I went to pick up my bike he said he had double checked all of the clearances and then had the tech put them in. They didn't charge me for the gears or the labor. Plus, it only took one day to do the whole thing.

I have 200mi on it and 6 runs at the dragstrip w/ no problems.

I'll PM you my dealer.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
My 5VN ('04 RS 1700) came in last week.

How do these look compared to the RS 1600 5th gear sets, for those that have them on hand??

Pics:
Image Insert:

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Penzoil- To which question did you mean "no?" All of them?

And again, could one of you tech heads explain to the rest of us what, if any, real benefits this particular mod may have.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tribalrites

And again, could one of you tech heads explain to the rest of us what, if any, real benefits this particular mod may have.

Thanks in advance.

Road Star 5th gear swap:

Benefits:
[*]Lowers RPMs at highway cruising speed
[*]Better gas milage do to lower RPM
[*]Longer range per tank fill
[*]Top speed of bike is increased
[*]Only 5th gear acceleration is affected gears 1-4 are unaffected. Compared to a 'pully change'... which affects the final gear ratio (acceleration) in ALL the gears.
[/list]

Minus:
[*]5th gear acceleration would slightly be affected. Free tip: Downshift to 4th if you want more acceleration. [/list]

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
nice free tip redhorse. Mine shipped today, so they should be here this week. I bought the ones for the 1600. I'll take pictures when I get them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I still interested if someone has installed the 5VN gears. I now know the
4NK gears work. I ordered my 5VN gears about two months ago but havn't read
about anybody using them.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I had Frankenstein's 4NK gears in my hands tonight, when we were at his 'Monster' garage party. I didn't think of bringing 5VN gears with me to compare. We both have calipers to compare dimensions too. Could have solved that issue tonight...Oh well... [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by tribalrites

Penzoil- To which question did you mean "no?" All of them?

Thanks in advance.

Hi: Until I see the fiche of the 2004 Warrior transmission part, the 2004 Roadstar and 2004 Warrior tranny are not the same. final ratio of the Roadstar is .750 and for the Warrior is .800
Another benefit for this exchange could be that is you change the rear pully (biger)for quicker 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile et. you will not loose 5 gear cruising speed.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sliderbkt

...I have 200mi on it and 6 runs at the dragstrip w/ no problems.

How much did your 1/4 mile times increase? I know it has to be slower than with the stock gears, just not sure how much.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was only in 3rd at the end onf the quarter, so no effect there. But, I am going to change to a 31t now so that should help. My best run was a 12.4 at 106mph. But, that was on a slick track, I had trouble getting traction through 2nd gear. I had to leave the line basically at idle, if I left any higher I would spin bad.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
I haven't tried the 1/4 yet but only 3rd gear? I thought it would be 4th, close to or in 5th. You just convinced me to go with the new 5th gears set. I want the lower rpm for cruising. I don't care about top end, just want to get up to cruising speed as fast as possible.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
At the end of the 1/4, we're not much over 100mph. That should definitely not be in 5th gear (unless you're purposely trying to get crappy times & make your harley buddies feel better by shifting too soon).

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well, my recall is done, the 5th gear changed out, and my New Complete Yamaha Speed Star Kit is all complete [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

[V][/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!][xx(] Sad thing is, the weather is supposed to be FANTASTIC!!! this weekend. The Bike is in Daytona (183.9 miles away) and I'll be in San Antonio this weekend and won't be able to pick it up until the following weekend, for the Leesburg Rally.[V] [/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!] [xx(]

Fortunately, I have a great pal, buddy, o'friend of mine that is gonna check the bike out and start the break in [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif][/emoticons/emotion-1.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] Thanks Shawn, I really do appreciate letting me have your KIT as well as all the effort you are putting in to this! Its in hands better than my own...I owe you one[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] See ya in 2!

61 - 80 of 260 Posts