RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, what have I gotten myself into!



It's actually coming along really well. I'll have pictures of my debacle up in the next few days, as soon as my new tires come in and I have them mounted onto the rims.


I couldn't stand the silver/black original look of the wheels, so I've taken it upon myself to try to NOT ruin the wheels.


Back to the garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Good luck!


I've been toying with the idea of either powder coating my wheels all black, or getting them chromed. I'm not sure which way I'd like to go with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Midnight Warrior said:
Good luck! 


I've been toying with the idea of either powder coating my wheels all black, or getting them chromed. I'm not sure which way I'd like to go with it.

 

Thanks!


I wanted to have my wheels powdercoated, as well, but decided to not spend the money, for now, because I'll be getting new wheels (probably RSD) when I get the wide tire conversion. It's been a fun learning experience - I got a nice motorcycle lift from Sears and started taking this apart to get the wheels off the bike. So far, in labor costs, I've spent $20 at a local dealership to have a tech remove the tires and brake rotors.


I'll have to take and post photos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,600 Posts
Sounds like fun, I hope it turns out really well. Out of curiosity, what kind of prices were you quoted for getting them powdercoated?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking a little break. Paint fumes are good for the soul! LOL



Marco Polo said:
Sounds like fun, I hope it turns out really well.  Out of curiosity, what kind of prices were you quoted for getting them powdercoated?


I've been quoted anywhere from $300 to $400 for the pair for just black. I'm trying to put a little red highlight on the wheels, in the center of the spokes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arizona Warrior said:
That should look real good on your bike




That's my hope, as well! I think I've managed to match the red of the wheels to the red of the bike, so I'm dying to see what the outcome will be, once it's all assembled. I just finished with the front wheel and I'm super psyched. The rear wheel is currently sitting on the kitchen island, being prepped with painter's tape and a bit of plastic wrap. Gotta be real careful not to get the bearings involved
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Actually planning on getting mine powdercoated blackthis winter, also not a big fan of the silver and black stock look. I think black will just look mean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
Find yourself a powdercoater who does large volume work for a large company and have them just hang them on the line while doing a big job. You may have a little more orange peel, but I paid$40 total for both wheels and pulley.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dragstar said:
Find yourself a powdercoater who does large volume work for a large company and have them just hang them on the line while doing a big job.  You may have a little more orange peel, but I paid $40 total for both wheels and pulley. 


 

You are right. I did find a more "industrial" place but I figured if the wheels are gonna look like that, I might as well have some fun and inhale some fumes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright - it's done!


I've got a pair of Metz 880's, front and back, on the bike and the wheels are painted and finished and look just the way I want them to.


Here's the pictures from where I started the project up to this morning, where the wheels are back on the bike.


























TaDaa!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
Those turned out sweet! Nice job man, kudos to you! Ive got to get my Warrior repainted this winter...little accident. I went to a shop yest and he said he would teach me how to do it myself. Im Looking forward to it. Again, nice job man. Do you have a pic of the rims after they were painted, before you put them back on the bike?


How do you like those street sweepers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know, I never took a picture of the wheels, together, by themselves. I have that one picture of the front rim that I took in succession as I was prepping and painting it. I was just so excited when my tires came in that I had them mounted and balanced and RAN home to reinstall them back on the bike!


Thank you for the complements!


The pipes on my bike are BUB's Jug Huggers. I love them. They don't rob the bike of any power, like Sampsons do, and sound amazing. I still have the baffles in the pipes and it makes PLENTY of noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,600 Posts
I like those MUCH better then stock, very nice job! Pretty cool idea also to add that red accent to the spokes like that. It looks good on the bike like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
Shawnzilla said:
I was just so excited when my tires came in that I had them mounted and balanced and RAN home to reinstall them back on the bike!

I know what you mean. Its like Christmas when you were 10. "Stop taking pictures mom!, Im trying to open presents!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dualxhst289 said:
Shawnzilla said:
I was just so excited when my tires came in that I had them mounted and balanced and RAN home to reinstall them back on the bike!

 I know what you mean. Its like Christmas when you were 10. "Stop taking pictures mom!, Im trying to open presents!"

EXACTLY!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
The black looks really awesome. You did a great job. What kind of bike is in the background? It looks like my other bike 97 vulcan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BOSSMAN2677 said:
The black looks really awesome.  You did a great job.  What kind of bike is in the background?  It looks like my other bike 97 vulcan.

That's my girlfriend's 1996 Kawi Eliminator 600 - and you have no idea the kind of giggles that bike gives me when I beat on it on the streets.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top