RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I will be getting a warrior within the next month, if all goes well, it's a 2007 grey/silver stripe one. My question is regarding painting or powder coating chrome parts. I do not like chrome at all (just a preference) and am wondering if painting chrome parts black (air intake, headlight, drag bars, risers, etc, etc) is a good idea or should i get them powdercoated? I am no paint expert, but i just cant see paint adhering to a chrome part very well. Or am i wrong on this? Will a painter just need to rough up the surface to get the paint to adhere?

Thanks in advance!

David

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you get them powdercoated, the chrome parts will need to be sand/ media blasted to remove the chrome. To get the best results the chrome should be removed for either finish, but if you paint you could get away with just "scuffing" the chrome. I do not know how well it will last in the long run. If you want durability my vote is powdercoating. I got my bars done for $35 at a local shop, price included sandblasting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely go with the powder coating....it will last longer and look alot better....if you are going to color your pipes go with a ceramic coating, the powdercoating won't withstand the heat..

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
One problem you will run into is that you can't powdercoat plastic. I'm not 100% sure, but there might be a few chrome pieces on the Warrior that are plastic, and not metal. The headlight bucket for one, is plastic, and I think the air box is plastic, too. Come to think of it, I think the AIS cover is, as well.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
The problem you will run into powdercoating will be the oven. Parts are coated with powder and then go into 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. Dont think the plastic will make it thru the oven.

·
Registered
262 Posts
RaySDF250 said:
One problem you will run into is that you can't powdercoat plastic. I'm not 100% sure, but there might be a few chrome pieces on the Warrior that are plastic, and not metal. The headlight bucket for one, is plastic, and I think the air box is plastic, too. Come to think of it, I think the AIS cover is, as well.

Good luck.

the back of the stock mirrors are too....dont ask :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't like chrome either and am presently replacing some stuff. Another route you could go is getting the Midnight replacement parts for your bike from Yamaha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, i didnt know those parts were plastic, guess it would help to have a warrior...

thanks for the input guys, i know what to do when i get mine!

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Yammi Midnight parts is a great idea...I also dont want the chrome look for my bike .. of course, being a Midnight, it already has the Midnight parts on it...so far i have tons of Yammi billet stuff powdercoated and put on and right now, I have 24 pcs getting done...i cant wait 'til i get it.

Maybe we should start a list of things to powdercoat...so far the most intersting parts i've done are the oil lines (2 on the right and the Y-shaped one on the left).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts