RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Laurie, it didn't snap, there were no symptoms, the Yamaha mechanic noticed it when he was putting a plug in th tyre for me.

It's only the very inner layer of fabric which I guess is there just to give a smooth contact with the pulleys. The central layer in the belt looks as if there might be some cracking developing (might be just my eyes, they're getting on a bit now) but otherwise the strength of the belt doesn't look to be compromised.

·
Administrator
29,696 Posts
The teeth don't fit the gear properly without thecover. I've heard it called a protective cover, and a silencing cover, although I don't have any info it does either. No matter because the belt will begin to slip worse and worseas the tooth face wears away until it skips and snaps.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time, where did you get your new belt?

I believe the "Gates" belts are good but I can't find where to buy one here in Oz and with the Au dollar as it is right now the yamaha belt is outrageously expensive.

I took the OEM belt off, as a precaution, after I bent the belt guard such that it was rubbing on the belt for a while. It's back on now and seems ok but it has done 40,000 Ks and I'd feel better if it was just my spare.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Greg,

Don't forget that I have a gates belt here if anyone needs one urgently.............
A stealer once told me a belt should last over 100k's.......

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, thanksLaurie. I hadn't forgotten about the belt in your garage...... I was gonna sneak over tonight and remove it

I'm not desperate at the minute but I will get a decent new belt and put the original aside in case of emergency. I've just got to find where tobuy the newone

·
Registered
830 Posts
gtg_ozzie said:
Time, where did you get your new belt?

I believe the "Gates" belts are good but I can't find where to buy one here in Oz and with the Au dollar as it is right now the yamaha belt is outrageously expensive.

Greg email [email protected]

his web / ebay links below

http://www.jubileemc.com/index.php?option=com_facileforms&Itemid=4

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Jubilee-Motorcycle-Parts

I picked up my 1 1/2' x 128T Gates belt from him when the dollar was good at about AUS$180.00 ..... probably just over $200 know

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Well this is the third time I have tried to post a reply on this thread, hopefully it works this time.

Sorry to hear about the belt, I've got some new Gates belts here if your other supplier hasn't got one, or if anybody else needs a spare.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hans, hey was wondering where you'd been. The site's been real quiet lately.

I emailed Time's contact, re the Gates belt, last week but he hasn;t replied. I'm guessing he hasn't got the right one. He had some listed on ebay but none that would fit.

Am I reading you correctly? You have a few of them? If so, yes, I'm still looking to find one, let me know.

Cheers

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool. If you wanna pm me how much you want and give me your bank account details, I'll transfer the money and pm you a delivery address

Thanks

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yep, Panthers suck big time. Although it costs more, the factory belt is the way to go IMO. I went through 2 Panthers in two years.

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior
120 Posts
Hey guys long time no talk, my POS panther snapped last week, no warning, no ware marks. It let go as I was accelerating from a set of lights.
Anyway I've been trying to purchase a Gates belt the 1 1/8 wide belt, and it seems to hard for phat performance to send parts out of the USA
and I rang Gates Australia and they don't have anything close to 127 to 130 tooth belt. Does anyone know where I could purchase 1? I really
don't want to pay $500-600 for a factory belt.

Any help would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
The local shop that detailed my bike after the flood replaced my belt with a Panther in June. I've ridden it all season with no problems but I'm purchasing a Gates Polychain before next season.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts