RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed her today. Widened rear wheel 18x9 / swingarm and hidden caliper. Installed them today. Just waiting on my tank and fenders to come back from paint.

Oh yeah... kudos to bucky685 on his quality velocity stacks. I had em chromed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Installed her today. Widened rear wheel 18x9 / swingarm and hidden caliper. Installed them today. Just waiting on my tank and fenders to come back from paint.

Oh yeah... kudos to bucky685 on his quality velocity stacks. I had em chromed.
who did you use to do the chrome plating?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
who did you use to do the chrome plating?
I used a shop in Ontario, CA called BJs Chrome and Custom. Turned out, they were just a middle man so I don't know which shop they used to chrome them. Chrome came out good but not too pleased with the customer service. The only reason I used them was they quoted me a two week turnaround on the wheels. Ended up taking over 4.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Don't know if it makes a lot of difference but your rear disc (directional spokes) is flipped...
+1 .... it does imho. The rear rotor has a 45* chamfer machined on the ID of the rear face to clear the radiused inside corner machined on the stock aluminum wheel where the two surfaces mate.

It is possible when the rotor is flipped as noted by outlawarrior it will hang-up on the sharp broken corner and radiused inside corner causing the rotor not to sit flush to the machined surface as was intended! Especially if this surface wasn't masked during plating.

When i did my DIY 240 Phat chrome set-up i paid particular attention to cleaning these surfaces up for both the frt & rear wheels to be sure that the rotors sat properly :)

some jpegs attached if interested:

nice looking mods themartinz .... outlawarrior, you have a sharp eye :>)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I used a shop in Ontario, CA called BJs Chrome and Custom. Turned out, they were just a middle man so I don't know which shop they used to chrome them. Chrome came out good but not too pleased with the customer service. The only reason I used them was they quoted me a two week turnaround on the wheels. Ended up taking over 4.

I hate that!!!
I ran into a similar problem. Had I known the guy I was using was nothing more than a money exchanger and shipper I would have done it all myself... And the chromer he used was garbage, I would have used someone that was reputable. Live and learn.

Keep an eye on your chrome and keep it clean. A lot of shops are more concerned with volume than doing a job that lasts. Its funny how an oem car bumper can last 20+years, but aftermarket chrome your lucky to get 3 years.

Pops bought an aftermarket bumper for his Pete...rusty in less than a year...there is some real garbage out there today....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate that!!!
I ran into a similar problem. Had I known the guy I was using was nothing more than a money exchanger and shipper I would have done it all myself... And the chromer he used was garbage, I would have used someone that was reputable. Live and learn.

Keep an eye on your chrome and keep it clean. A lot of shops are more concerned with volume than doing a job that lasts. Its funny how an oem car bumper can last 20+years, but aftermarket chrome your lucky to get 3 years.

Pops bought an aftermarket bumper for his Pete...rusty in less than a year...there is some real garbage out there today....
I hear ya. The shop they used seemed to do a great job and this guy warranties his chrome jobs for 5 years. I knew of other well known shops but they were all quoting me 4 to 6 weeks and this guy told me 2, so I was lured by the time frame only to end up waiting longer. At the end of the day, I'm happy with them so it wiped away my frustration.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
So what exactly makes kyle the preferred vendor for tire kits? To my understanding they all send the rims to kosmans. Are his prices better then crown or is it about supporting the small companies? I have a performance edge kit and love the fact that the caliper bracket bolts underneath a option other companies don't offer.
I guess my question is does one build a better kit then the others?

·
Registered
927 Posts
So what exactly makes kyle the preferred vendor for tire kits? To my understanding they all send the rims to kosmans. Are his prices better then crown or is it about supporting the small companies? I have a performance edge kit and love the fact that the caliper bracket bolts underneath a option other companies don't offer.
I guess my question is does one build a better kit then the others?
My experience with Kyle....has been the service and his flexibility. ..I'm sure other companies provide a great product and good service....but based on my personal experience..... Kyle was flexible, straight forward and a delight to work with...

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
Kyle posts his prices right on his vendor page. I wanted to go wide since 08 when I got my bike..Kyle made it affordable. Back in 08 there were a few vendors, all priced about the same. I never remember seeing any specials or deals, or free caliper bracket with wheel kit until Kyle started. Just my opinion, I'm sure the rest are great vendors but back before Kyles days on the forum, I used to have to email and wait to get prices. I like the whole..here's my cell phone call any time.
Madtom..did you buy the bike with that kit or did you buy it from performance edge? Last time I looked at that style bracket it cost as much as getting my wheel chromed..

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Kyle posts his prices right on his vendor page. I wanted to go wide since 08 when I got my bike..Kyle made it affordable. Back in 08 there were a few vendors, all priced about the same. I never remember seeing any specials or deals, or free caliper bracket with wheel kit until Kyle started. Just my opinion, I'm sure the rest are great vendors but back before Kyles days on the forum, I used to have to email and wait to get prices. I like the whole..here's my cell phone call any time.
Madtom..did you buy the bike with that kit or did you buy it from performance edge? Last time I looked at that style bracket it cost as much as getting my wheel chromed..
I bought my kit for a steal off another member, he needed a stock 5 spoke set up to trade up to a 280 kit. He went thru kyle for the 280 kit and did comment to me about how he doesn't do the underside braket mount. If I were to have bought new I would have gone thru crown due to shipping costs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not saying Kyle is better as I can't do a side by side comparison, nor am I a welder so I can't critique his welds, but he was great guy to work with. Any time I called or texted him, weekends or evenings included, he responded quickly and spent a lot of time talking with me about the different options, like having the wheel made as 18x9 instead of an 18x8.5 like most people sell. Yes, Kosman did the wheel, buy Kyle didn't tack on a **** load of money as a middleman.

All in all, my decision to go with Kyle was a) his prices were better, b) his customer service was great, and c) I live on the left coast and Kyle is in Nevada, so shipping time and shipping prices were lower for me. When I got his product back, the quality was great.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Since Crown is also a vendor i can't use the standard tag line- So:

In my case:
Kyle's kit was significantly cheaper
Kyle's a good guy
Kyle's lead time and shipping cost was reasonable
Kyle' was available nights/weekends for technical assistance

Kyle runs specials once in a while- it just happened to work out that the money was in my bank account when he ran one.

That being said- he exceeded my expectations with The Quality of his swingarm, and his customer service.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts