RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
You do not have to get the Nikasil coated cylinders honed. There is plenty of info on this out there. Unless you have cylinder damage or you are going to 108-110 bore. Just clean the cylinders up with soap and water to make sure your cylinders are clean and install pistons.
Thanks for this info Gilly, guess I'm just old school. Personally I would "go over and bore/hone" if I had 125k miles and were pulling the jugs off for performance purposes.

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
Thanks for this info Gilly, guess I'm just old school. Personally I would "go over and bore/hone" if I had 125k miles and were pulling the jugs off for performance purposes.
Yeah, if i go with a PR 110 kit in the future, i will just get the sleeve, bore and hone. But for Std bore, with the Nikasil coating, just slapping in the pistons in is an easy way to go and it does fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
Good info to know thanks for posting this. Out of curiosity what will happen if the nikasil gets compromised by honing?
I don't know the correct answer but i would guess the rings would not seat properly and other problems would arise like motor smoking, loss of power possibly, maybe some over heating.

·
Super Moderator
2,862 Posts
I don't know the correct answer but i would guess the rings would not seat properly and other problems would arise like motor smoking, loss of power possibly, maybe some over heating.

Same thought here.

I'd think since the Nikasil coating is so hard, if you hone the coating wont wear and the rings wont seat due to the hone groves and you'll have lower compression and oil burn.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Absolutely impossible to convince old school mechanics not to hone, I told my shop not to hone and they looked at me like I was insane! I told them about the coating but there was no convincing them, they said they always hone, that it was necessary for the rings, they also said that mostly all bikes now have that coating and they use a soft honing stone, now I'm not bashing the shop cuz they rock and have gone above and beyond to take care of me but you just can't change what people believe, so far there are no problems and hopefully there won't be any.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I should be throwing my HC pistons in soon with the help of a buddy, I dont think we will hone since that seems to be the general consensus. however it is weird to not hone...

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I should be throwing my HC pistons in soon with the help of a buddy, I dont think we will hone since that seems to be the general consensus. however it is weird to not hone...
You're gunna dig them, I"m still braking mine in, the hard way, and loving every second of it!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Getting it dyno tuned later this week, it's running sweet right now just a few pops on decel but it rips, I can't wait to see what the tune does for me!

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
...I told my shop not to hone ...I told them about the coating but there was no convincing them...so far there are no problems and hopefully there won't be any.

Joey... did you allow them to talk you into honing or not?

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
If you do have to hone the cylinder for some reason, you are suppose to use a Diamond hone or something like that. But unless you have super high mileage, i don't think you need to do anything but wash it out clean as you can get it.;)

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
they said they have to hone and they have a soft honing stone that doesn't affect the coating, There is just no convincing some people......So I trusted them cuz they've always taken good care of me. So far there are no problems with around 2000 miles on the new pistons, keep your fingers crossed.....

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
they said they have to hone and they have a soft honing stone that doesn't affect the coating, There is just no convincing some people......So I trusted them cuz they've always taken good care of me. So far there are no problems with around 2000 miles on the new pistons, keep your fingers crossed.....
It's hard to convince old school guys today about the newer processes and how they work in the real world compared to years back. And it is hard to believe today with the internet that they refuse to educate themselves. With the mileage you have on the new pistons with no problems, i don't think you will have any kind of trouble.

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
It's hard to convince old school guys today about the newer processes and how they work in the real world compared to years back....

I get that a vendor needs to advise clients...but ultimately, they need to do as the client asks... If joey came on this forum, which is entrenched with the specifics of do's and dont's for our exact bike, I would be PISSED if they didn't follow instructions...

I struggle with the concept of honing a surface with a "soft" hone, and having it leave the nikasil as per OEM spec. Hone is like sanding or polish...it HAS to remove a layer to do anything.

It would seem that the "guru's" here are also telling you that you shouldn't have any problems... Fingers crossed that this is the case. I would hate to read about you arguing with this shop about what should have been done.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I hear ya Luv, I take the knowledge from this forum as absolute truth and fact, so when I bring it to my shop, and when I say my shop I mean these folks are like family, bought my first bike off their floor on consignment, they have let me slide on payments until I had the money, the kind of relationship that warrants a random box of doughnuts as a thank you, they truly have my bikes best interest at heart. So I tell them don't hone because of the coating, and they tell me they are familiar with the coating and they always hone, and I know better from the forum, but they assure me it's necessary and not to worry they use a soft honing stone, I reluctantly leave it to them, knowing full well if they screw it up it's on them and they'll make it right. So far so good but I do agree, they should have respected my request not to hone.

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
...they tell me they are familiar with the coating and they always hone...they use a soft honing stone...

I decided to not be ignorant of this "nikasil" wizardry, and educate my self, as I am also going to do a lot of what you have done...

so I created a thread with the hopes that it will help all----click---> http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-...4498-nikasil-opinions-expert.html#post3394106

as for you Joey... read the thread.... HINT: there's a happy ending for you!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Read it, whew....no harm no fowl, just money that didn't need to be spent on useless labor!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I just got back from the dyno tune so I no longer need a map, but now I have one with said mods so I'll submit it when I figure out how! New dyno results are 87.7 HP and 107.7 torque, he said it would be higher without the ct but whatever, I'm happy with the torque, the bike rips!

·
Premium Member
2002 XV1700PC Warrior
3,946 Posts
21 - 40 of 47 Posts