RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed a Power Commander. Everything went pretty smooth, but after it was all done, I noticed that the power commander wiring looked dangerously close to the cooling fins on the cylinders. I used zip ties to control it as much as possible, but the wires are right up next to the cooling fins, especially after I put the right side cover back on. Just wondering if I did something wrong. According to the photos in the instructions this is right. But I just don't want to fry my power commander wiring. That thing is expensive.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't know but I could use some advice on this topic as well. Mine will be going in within the next month...should be fun! Anything you recommend doing scoper? not to highjack your thread or anything though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best advice I can give is be patient and take your time. This was my first time removing the fuel tank. It took me 10 minutes to figure out why the rear dry brake wasn't releasing. Turns out there is a chunk of rubber that you need to remove in order to depress the release button. All of the connectors came apart really nice except for the TPS connector. Pressing the tab with my thumb wouldn't release it. I had to use a flat blade screwdriver to get enough pressure on it to release. It was about 45 degrees in my garage when I was doing this, so the cold might have been a factor. Also when routing the wires for the Power Commander I had to cut 4 zip ties that hold themain wiring harness to the frame under the tank. The instructions don't say to do this, but it was the only way I could get enough clearence to squeeze all the connectors through. It's a tight fit.

One of the last steps of the procedure is to ground the power commander. You need to remove the bolt that holds the negative battery cable to the frame. When you reinstall this bolt, be sure it is threaded in properly. There isn't much space for your fingers, and it's easy to screw up. I actually thought I had cross threaded mine, but it turns out there was just gunk in the threads.

But overall the Power Commander is a pretty simple install. You just need to be careful not to break anything. I'm always worried about breaking connectors when trying to release them.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hey Scoper, you aren't too far from me, you are more than welcome to stop over and see how I have everything routed. To answer your questions, I also had to cut the factory zip ties to get in there. I replaced them with new ones one the conections were made. And yes, that whole rats nest of wires is really tight in there.

Have fun with your installs!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Did you do the "perfect" install?

Perfect Install

I just zip tied mine to stay as far as possible from the fins (but still pretty close). I haven't had any problems so far.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I sent mine back to Dynajet and they installed a complete new wiring harnesswith Yamaha connectors at no charge no need for the perfect install all is incorporated in the new harness. I believe they got too many complaints and decided to revamp. All newer models come with this new harness.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't need to do the perfect install. The power commander came with a TPS connector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts