RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the few that answered my questions about the service plan to guide me in the right direction. I'm almost out of time for making decisions so I need a little more help. Should I get the 3 year extended warramty for $690? If all I mod is exhaust, intake, and similar components I will not void warranty according to the Magnuson-Moss Act if it applies to motorcycles as well as cars etc.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Personally I would base this decision on your mechanical skills. Can you turn wrenches if this thing breaks down? Are you able to diagnose electrical problems? Do you want to turn wrenches if this thing breaks down? I know a lot of people that are mechanically inclined, but they buy an extended warrenty simply because they don't want to. You are buying a pretty reliable bike, so It's always going to be a gamble. Will you get your money out of the extended warrenty? Who knows. Personally, I never buy extended warrentys on anything. for $700 you can do a lot of repairs yourself. And chances are, with this bike you won't have too many problems. At least not in the first few years.

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
M-M acts dos cover bikes, I bought the extended warranty, but not because I am not mechanically inclined, but rather I am time constrained. as usual, I regret the purchase, because as for my dealings with 4 different yami shops and yami corporate so far,,, I would rather take my bike to a harley shop than ever let a yami dealer in my area touch it, my own opinion of course..

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
ak49warrior said:
take the $700 and buy mods big air kit, pipes, pc3.
+1, the Warrior never breaks, at least not on essential (warranted) parts. Plus, once you get the bike you will love to take care of it, not just ride it. What do you think you will do in winter time? Personally, I would prefer to spend the money on some nice accessories and mods.

parkinglot is right, also. You will find way more information here compared to the Yamaha dealer. The guys on forums will diagnose way more accurate the mechanical problem you experience, compared to a dealer. Plus, there is no mechanic in the world that will do a better job, then you. That is because you put heart on your work, while the dealer puts only cash into his pocket. I brought once my bike to a dealer and they butchered everything. I had to take everything apart at home and redo it my way... This is when I discovered those forums. No mechanics will ever touch my bike again from now on (unless there is something related to lack of specialized tools or big jobs, transmission etc.).

The amount of information you find on thise forums is simply incredible, take the time to read the technical forum and you will become in no time a decent mechanic for your beloved Warrior. I know I discovered a new passion, since I got my machine. That is not only riding... but also maintaining your bike.

·
Registered
394 Posts
IMO, the extended warranties are a waste of money. If you are halfway mechanically inclined dont get it. The bikes are reliable and you will probably never use it anyways, they wouldnt offer it if they did not typically make money on it.

·
Administrator
30,093 Posts
The service agreement is just service not necessarily major repairs so read closely. If its a fender-to-fender 3-year 100% warranty thrown in with the service plan for $690 for 3 years, buy it. Unfortunately the service plan generally just prepays services and the one year warranty appllies in any case. If its just a prepaid service plan then you can bet you'll be scheduled at their convenience since they already have your money. BTW Yamaha went public some years ago that it would take some extraordinary mod to void the warranty and, in particular because of their 'make it your own' campaign, they won't refuse a claim that might stop other companies from making accessories. No accessories on the market equals no bike sales. All they ask is like-in-kind quality.

If its truly a 3-year extended warranty WITH maintenanceit might have some advantages. Here's a link to YES terms:

http://www.yocracing.com/docs/YEScontract.pdf

Thanks to the few that answered my questions about the service plan to guide me in the right direction. I'm almost out of time for making decisions so I need a little more help. Should I get the 3 year extended warramty for $690? If all I mod is exhaust, intake, and similar components I will not void warranty according to the Magnuson-Moss Act if it applies to motorcycles as well as cars etc.

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
BTW Yamaha went public some years ago that it would take some extraordinary mod to void the warranty

I questioned warranty services at corporate. my wheels rotors and brakes are not covered under warranty and my bike is5 months old.. the dealer put 05 wheels on my 07 bike and yami will not honor the warrant on the parts that were changed from the original configuration. As I said, I bought the extended warranty myself, but it was a waste of money because no one with any affiliation to a yamaha dealer will ever even touch my bike.. I dont care if I need air in a flat tire, I'll call a wrecker before I stop at a yami dealer..

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i'm with the rest of these guys
figure this..... the bike comes with a factory warranty, if the bike is a dud your gonna know it pretty early into the "relationship" where your warranty will have you covered, anything could happen at anytime but chances are that if you make it thru the factory warranty period you probably going to be safe but if you spend $ 700.00 bucks for the extended warranty well then youve already bought a $700.00 repair . personally i would ride the bike and save your money and if down the road you have to repair something then cross that bridge when you come to it, seems to me you would almost need a catastrophic failure of a major component to make spending the money on a warranty to be worth it

·
Super Moderator
5,832 Posts
I agree with all the other guy's. I bought my bike new,and bought the extra warranty,just for the catastrophic failure,but after the work they did on my bike and my friends bike there is no way they will ever touch either bikes.I'm very mechanically inclined and after finding this site I'll probably be the one that does all the work.

·
Administrator
30,093 Posts
Interestingly, each bike comes off the factory assembly lineand each is adjusted to what its needs are (ie each is adjusted a little differently). All indicators are there is no universal CO1 CO2 setting so the dealer has no way to know its bumped unless you told them!

Plus,like all OEM's, Yamaha (if not the dealer) will support adjustments necessary to replacement exhaust and intake to maintain performance.The warranty states aftermarket parts are acceptable as long as they are 'or equal' and Yami doesn't quibble too much because they needaftermarket support too. No accessories, bike sales drop like a rock.

Your ECU adjustment, if it voided the warranty, is the first case of that happening I've heard about (which doesn't mean anything
) soI'll pay more attention and see how widespread'ecu bump voiding warranty' is and maybe we can get something together forum-wide to discuss and solve.

07midnite said:
I voided mine about a month after I bought the bike. That ECU adjustment will do it every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts