RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone give me some advice what to do regarding the following:

Picked up my new bike two and a half weeks ago [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif] put it in for it's first service and have now found out that it hasn't even had the recall done[V]. It's my understanding that Yamaha told dealers not to release the new bikes before the recall was done on them. Anyone else experience this?

Any ideas on which way to approach this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gday Ian, bugger that's not good. Make sure you take plenty of photos of your bike before it goes in for the recall so that you have evidence that there are no marks on it. Get the dealer principal to take a look over it with you and agree there is no damage on any engine casings, frame etc. I don't know wether the bike should have been released to you without the recall done but one would assume that they would have taken care of it before delivery. All the best hope it goes ok.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
They definitely acted have broken the law by letting you drive off a bike that has a serious recall outstanding.

Depends what you want to achieve. The recall work can be a very simple tidy job if your dealer has a proper professional technician or can end up in a pretty wrecked bike if the technicians are sub-standard. If you want a bit more performance the recall is a good opportunity to get some free labour to put in high compression pistons or a big bore kit and cams. If you aren't really interested in performance, and this is a brand new bike, this may be an opportunity to get yourself a brand new 04 Warrior.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go down any sort of legal work, it is just too much stress.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Hello Ian, read through this link. I have also posted on numerous (mostly recall boards) my particular situation, which is quite like yours...Being sold a new Warrior by a dealer after the transmission recall was effective.
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15459

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Yamah and my dealer have recently settled with me and all parties are satisfied with the outcome. An expensive legal game was avoided which Yamaha and the dealer knew they would lose. I keep the bike, which i like, instead of forcing the issue and going for a new bike. I explained to my opponents that I factored the worth of the recall in loss of value/what I would have offered for my new bike had I known about the recall issue as $1,500. That happens to be 1/2 off retail of a complete stage IV kit for the Warrior. I pay that, the dealer installs the kit at no charge for install during the recall. I just have to wait for all the Stage IV parts to get to dealer, probably about mid August, this year.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Centerline, are you going to take your bike to NTY? If you do, then "here's yer sign". You know where to get the work done, right?

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Yeah, Troyus..that was the agreement with Yami and the dealer..since there is no charge for the install and the dealer is paying whatever the difference is between my 50% and his wholesale cost of the kit.
I know, and I am praying for skilled surgery. I will try that $100 technique to the mech suggestion. $50 to th service manager as well.
Anyhow, awaiting cams, prolly mid Aug.

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
Ian, the million dollar question is....Was that a 2004 that you just bought?

If so, then it doesn't fall under the recall.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Was just going to ask that same question Ridingrules. LOL!!!

If not, make sure you get some HC pistons out of the deal for F#$%ing with you...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Hi Ian yes the dealer should have at least discussed the recall with you and given you the option whether to get the recall done before you take possession, and to arrange the work when it can be done or get it done on the spot, anyway the recall letters we received in Aust where different than the USA ones as ours just said contact your dealer at your convience, the USA letters said don't operate the bike until its done.
Anyway keep us informed and good luck with your new RSW.

The WIZ.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The UK ones also didn't say don't ride. I have now ascertained that is because the bikes in the UK, Europe and Oz were released later and Yamaha were allowed to presume that the bikes didn't have high mileage and therefore the problem wouldn't happen for a while. This is also reflected in the contents of the kit as we didn't get new rings and some other parts (one of the cogs?)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Hope everything works out for you Ian.

You can take advantage of the recall and have some performance parts installed while the engine is apart. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was looking at an 03 and the dealer told me he couldn't sell it to me because there was a recall and the tranny had not been fixed on the bike . I bought an 04 instead. If the dealer did not disclose the tranny prblem to you before you puchased the bike ,then you have a legal dispute with the dealer. If he did not tell you about the problem,I would demand a new 2004!

lildaddy

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was looking at an 03 and the dealer told me he couldn't sell it to me because there was a recall and the tranny had not been fixed on the bike . I bought an 04 instead. If the dealer did not disclose the tranny prblem to you before you puchased the bike ,then you have a legal dispute with the dealer. If he did not tell you about the problem,I would demand a new 2004!

lildaddy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts