RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trans recall pix, Roadie 5th gear install.

The other 2 PIX show the motor scattered over the work benches.

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Nice. Sucks to know that a brand spankin new bike has to go thru this before I've even heard it crank.. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
422 Posts
Church, can you measure the before / after gear set and can post the diffs? Speculation on the true nature of the recall is always appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
I have them here, and there appears to be no measurable difference in the gears or shafts. The circlip is more stout, has more tangs.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Now that is interesting. Why is there "no measurable diff" ? If the circlip just can't handle it, why change the gear? The material is the same as the other gears? I said it before, I am not going into that gearbox to replace a circlip.

I've been speculating all along that the factory/supplier cut some gears incorrectly, and they're not sure what bikes have it, so they change them all. That's why I've been asking folks to get the before/after spec on the gears. Let's just see how many get swapped that don't need it.

I would be especially interested in the numbers for bikes with serial no's real close to my ride.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
In the above pics. the top shaft is the main axle assy. Gears from left to right are: 1st, (4th), 2nd/3rd, and 5th. The lower assy is the drive axle assy (output to transfer case). Although this has been discussed before, I recall the premise behind the change is due to a possibility that uneven wear (due to a manufacturing defect?) can cause the circlip and washer(mistakenly referred to as the circlip) to fail. Because of this Yamaha decided to change out the main axle shaft and both the 4th pinion and wheel gears, circlips, and stouter washers because of the possibility of uneven wear on the parts in question. The Driven shaft has 4th gear locked in with teeth and slides sideways on the shaft but the main axle doesn't the gear rotates around the shaft when not engaged and is held in place by the circlip. It's possible it could open up the groove in the axle and wear the circlip until the gear breaks free. This is why the main shaft is being replaced, the gears are a no bariner. Incidentally when Yamaha first issued a recall, they decided to change out the whole transmission. Since these gears all mesh together I'm curious as to why they are only replacing just 4th gears and the main shaft. Perhaps part of the reason is because there's enough room in the sockets for the dogs to move around in without causing any undue stress on the neighboring parts (speculation here). I've seen about a half dozen tranny sets and from what I could tell no unusual wear was present in either the Road Star bikes (5) or Warriors (1). Where the difference is is a mystery to me?

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by boogie man

putting in any other goodies Woody?

I had plans on going full bore with it but have decided to keep it more of a cruiser. Just dropping slugs in now, here's how its playing out.

I checked the cylinders for taper with a dial bore gauge & they only have 1/2 thou taper. That relates to 1/4 thou (.00025) per side of the bore. The piston to wall with the SS pistons is at .0025 at room temp so I will not be boring oversize & will probably install the SS pistons after they are compared to the stock pistons for weight difference on a gram scale. I really don't like the look of the SS pistons as Yamaha has machined off the skirt more than .300 at the bottom & I think they are more prone rock in the bores than the stockers. Its my contention it was done to keep the weight close to the stockers for balance purposes. Long life & piston slap noise were not a consideration since the parts are considered "off road". I'll try them, if their noisy I'll go with some other brand when they become available.

Other than that, touch up the valves & glue it back together.

Oh yeah, Gots to remember to put the pin back in the grenade :~)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Church, you've got the ss box, so no plans to advance ignition while it's apart (mechanically)?

How about boosting oil pressure (no fiche avail, assume change spring/ball to boost?)?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Churchkey

Can you do us a favor and measure those tabs from the orginal Warrior 5th gear. I found out that there are a slight differences from the RS1700 (5VN) & the RS1600 (4NK) 5th gear set.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14583&whichpage=7

Image Insert:

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by REDHORSE

Churchkey

Can you do us a favor and measure those tabs from the orginal Warrior 5th gear. I found out that there are a slight differences from the RS1700 (5VN) & the RS1600 (4NK) 5th gear set.

Image Insert:

I used the 1600 5th gearset. I"m headed back to the shop after dinner & will check them out.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by PURSUVANT

Church, you've got the ss box, so no plans to advance ignition while it's apart (mechanically)?

How about boosting oil pressure (no fiche avail, assume change spring/ball to boost?)?

Come on PURS, did you have to ask on the forum? You know I'm not going to lie to you, lets just say its a consideration :~)

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by REDHORSE

Churchkey

The 4NK 5th gear set dogs are identical to the Warrior.
Diameter closest to the gear teeth is .435 (10.875mm)
Diameter at widest point,(top of dog) .450 (11.25mm)
Width, inside to outside is .340 (8.5mm)

The 5VN gear set should work with out any problem as the slots in the Warrior gear that it mates with are elongated considerably, there are almost 2 teeth worth of rotation when the dogs of the Warrior or 4NK gears engage the slots in the mating gear.

Hope this is what your looking for, if you need anything else just shout.
W

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Thanks Churchkey.

That's about the same measurements that I got when I measured the 4NK parts.

If the gears that it mates with has that much play... I'm guessing that it should be ok then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts