RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to preface this post by saying that it is with all your continued support that this site continues to grow.

This site started as a basic forum running in a shared hosting environment for over a year. Over the last year a new server was purchased and the site has been running in a co-located environment. By moving to our own server RSWarrior.com was able to increase the amount of space members get in their gallery, and the overall speed of the site had increased. While the speeds had increased the site is still on the slow side. From the support of members and vendors the site is now making another leap.

It is planned that on Friday April 8, 2005 at 6pm EST the server will be relocating to a faster facility! For those that are interested, the site is now hosted in a facility with 3 T-1's and we will be moving to a facility with multiple OC-12's and other “smaller lines.” In other words, we are moving to the head facility that supplies the other smaller facilities!

Since the server will need to be physically transported this means that it will be unplugged and put in my car for 20 minutes or so. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] Unfortunately, this means the site will experience some sort of downtime.

During this period I am planning on setting up a temporary server to host the site, however, I will be disabling all uploading functionality. There may be some other issues that arise during this period, such as bounced emails, timeouts, etc. I am already working on the switch so that minimal downtime is experienced.

Once the web server is running and stable in the new facility I will be moving the database to a faster machine in the new facility. During this period the entire site will need to be shutdown in order to prevent loss of data. Unfortunately, the data will probably need a couple hours to make the move. This upgrade will again be run on a Friday night so that the majority of users will not experience a problem.

Things are already being done for this move, but if for any reason plans change I will post them here.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

CarKnee

Update: 4/7/05 4:30pm EST
Changes being made now:

[*]My Warrior Section is now locked down from editing your images.

[*]Uploading images in the forums should now be disabled
[*]Previously uploaded images to the forums will dissapear sometime tomorrow until completed.
[/list]

Update: 4/7/05 9:30pm EST
Changes being made now:

[*]Starting now people will begin to start accessing the site from the backup server. By 6pm EST tomorrow just about everyone should be using the bck server and I can take the primary off line.
[/list]

Current Status: 4/8/05 10:30am EST
[*]By now just about everyone is seeing this site from the backup server, and I must say it seems to have been a seemless transition![*] There has been a time change... the site will not be moved until 8pm EST. At this point you really will not notice the move.[*]If all goes well tonight I anticipate that tomorrow afternoon everyone will start migrating back to the primary server and the speed difference will hopefully be significant![*]My Email addresses are probably going to bounce back with a server not found... please do not send me email until tomorrow this thread says the migration is complete[/list]

Current Status: 4/8/05 8:41pm EST
[*]The server is now in its new home![*]You all can most likely expect the site to get shut down sometime in the next few hours. I will be moving the database over tonight. It should take an hour or so. Sorry, but it will be worth it. [*]Just to let you know... the old server used to let people download at 80-100 KB/s ... prelim tests on the new location are showing 500+KB/s[/list]

Current Status: 4/8/05 11:30pm EST
Sorry for the downtime folks... I think it was down for about 2 hours or so during the database upgrade. I have done some basic testing on the site and it all apears solid. If you encounter any problems please let me know in this thread:
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24845

Current Status: 4/9/05 7:50am EST
There are still problems [xx(] I am working on them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sean, this is a fine web presence; you have really done well. Thank you for continuing to improve it (except for the color scheme - no, I can't let it go! [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] ). Great work.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Nice! can't wait to browse in super fast mode. Then you only need to decrease the 60 second time out to maybe 30 sec for new posts and we are good to go to finally catch good old Darkstar. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Nooooooo! I won't be able to handle any down time. This website is like air to me. I need it to stay alive. Shutting this down may kill me. OK, just kidding! Enough of that. Good work Carknee, look forward to faster browsing!!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ok, Ok,..... I'll just drink Friday night.....[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif] but please...... by Sat. I'll have withdrawals...... By the way, thanks for all your hard work!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Congrats Caknee. This website is one of the best motorcycle website on the net! Great job![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Whooohooo more power, moooore speeeeeeeeeed. [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif][^]

·
Registered
826 Posts
Is this going to be a chrome server or a really "phat" one? Mods, mods and more mods.

Thanks Sean, really great work and the best site.

·
Registered
570 Posts
quote:Originally posted by CarKnee

Since the server will need to be physically transported this means that it will be unplugged and put in my car for 20 minutes or so.

Don't drop it [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

Thanks for all the hard work you put in!!!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Thanks Carknee for all your hard work and for making this site happen! I guess i'll have to spent more time cleaning my baby for Saturday's ride! [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Carnee, Thanks for the communication. I wish you worked where I do. In the past I have made changes to plans that affect my whole family just to come into work on a Saturday to get caught up (no extra pay I might add...I know whaaaaa) only to have no engineering server or an e-mail server. Of course on Monday the IT guy replies "oh sorry, you should have told me you where going to come in on Saturday"

More speed, IIIIIIII LIKE IT!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts