RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have experimented with doing some polishing, I was looking around at things at my bike that can be polished. One thing that stuck out bigger than sh*t were the mounting brackets that the gear shifter and the brake lever mount to. Anybody already tried this? The forward controls that Terry is pushing look great but they would be too long of a reach for me so I am going to compromise. One question I had was whether or not those stock controls have a protective coating on them to keep them from getting tarnished. If you have any experience with these items, bring it on. Otherwise, I will post pics after I am done. Tips, Tricks, suggesitons?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Cerino...

you can polish these brackets and many other parts on the warrior...including a lot of the parts that are black.

BUT...once you polish them you will have to do it a couple of times a month to keep them looking good. You can spray them with clear coat so they won't tarnish and have to keep at them...BUT...if you use clear coat from a spray bomb...the sand, gravel and such will chip away at the clear coat pretty easy. It would be best to have them powder coated with a clear coat. OR...a body shop spray them with clear coat with a hardner in it.

The brackets do have a clear coat on them. You can use paint remover or sand it off. It sands off pretty easy.

AND...since you haven't actually done the mod yet...i'm going to move this thread to the GENERAL DISCUSSION area. After you've done the mod...then post it in the Warrior Modifications area.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cerino;the foot control brackets are coated with silver paint that can be removed with paint stripper and do polish up real nice.I did this last summer and put a single coat of Liquid Glass auto polish on them and they look as good as the day I polished them,good luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I too have polished the brackets and applied Luster Seal polish & sealant (lasts about 5-6 months). Bill is right though you will have to re-polish every so often to keep a chrome like finish due to oxidation and debris marking up the finish. I also made my own mini floorboards and polished these also.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I did the same mod and polished them. There is a "clearcoat" on them which I removed with an abrasive wheel on the drill press. I then went to 3M polishing pads, similar to scouring pads. From there I went to the cloth wheel and some compound. Looks like chrome when done and has not changed in appearance for several months. No clear coat. Once you put clear on, touch-ups are no longer possible, unless you strip and start all over again. Try mounting your 3M pads in the drill press, works well and you can get at all those tight areas by moving the part not the drill, DA, ETC...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cerino -

I was thinking the same thing as you, but I took into consideration of what Bill said, the upkeep.. I decided to send mine in along with a TON of other thing to a chrome plater. He charged me 50.00 to plate booth of them.. I took off just about every bracket I could get off the bike, including the rear pully and fender stays. His turn around time is pretty fast also.. I'll post more details on this later..

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I thought about chroming mine but I didn't. I figured the footpegs would take as much abuse as anything so i left them as is. Great idea though, can't go wrong with shiney stuff *L*

·
Registered
188 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jspencer

Great idea though, can't go wrong with shiney stuff *L*

Doesn't chrome add like 5-10 HP?? J/K![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
188 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cerino2000

Thanks for all of the info. Rockford, where did you have yours chromed at? I think $50 is reasonable.

There is a local plating shop in IL, called Custom Plating, I have his info at the shop, I'll be there later today and post it for you.. He can't do rims but another company that does his bigger stuff will do them for 400.00 plus they gaurantee the plating for 2 YEARS!

Some of his prices were a little high like the rear pulley for 100.00 but other stuff was freakin cheap! He is doing my fender stays for 85.00 and alot of the smaller brakets hes said he would do for free.. The side mount lics plate braket thet we got from EvilTwin is made from stainless and he said he would polish that for FREE!!

Best of all his turn around time (right now) is only 2-3 weeks.. But if he gets busyier it will be longer..

·
Registered
188 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cerino2000

Thanks for all of the info. Rockford, where did you have yours chromed at? I think $50 is reasonable.

Ok here is the info on the company:

Custom Plating Service
Marengo, IL 60152
815-923-8089

Here is a picture of almost everything I had done (I also brought in the 102 cover):

Here is a few of the prices:[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

Sproket: 100.00
2 Fender Stays: 80.00
2 Front Peg Mounts: 50.00
Rear Caliper Mount: 40.00
102 Cover: 25.00
2 Rear Foot Peg Mounts: 25.00
Master Cylinder Covers: 10.00

I don't think his prices are bad at all.. Considering his turn around time is 2-3 weeks and no shipping time for me.. Also see the above post for rim prices..

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One other note, if any of you have replaced your foot control brackets with something like aftermarket forward controls, and you want to get rid of your stock ones cheap, fell free to email me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I haven't got them back yet.. It will be a few weeks still.. I just brought them down there on Friday (feb 14th).. I will post pics when they do get back..

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I feel that I get a lot better job when I polish my parts because I spend a lot of time smoothing off all the edges and getting rid of all the factory casting marks. This way even if I decide to chrome later I get a much better job. I've got my bench grinder set up with two cottom wheels (red jeweler's rouge on one side and white on the other to finish up). The initial polishing is quite time consuming, but the finish usually last a couple of years with just wiping them down when I wash the bike. Re-polishing parts when they're off the bike only takes a couple of minits.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey Meatball if you use caswells blue cut and color compound to finish polish instead of the white compound you'll get a chrome like finish that won't be as hazy, the blue adds a bluish tint or highlight much like you would see in a chromed piece.
instead of using the red tripoli before finish polishing use the grey emery it will give a more uniform surface to finish polish with the blue, i've been doing polishing on everything from $60,000 hogs to crotchrockets and i've tried just about every way possible to polish and the stuff i just described to you is absolutely the best, i too polished the front peg brackets and alot of other pieces and you'd be hard pressed not to think they are chromed, you're on the right track with the dry polishing just remember once you use a buff for one compound don't use any other compound on that wheel especially the buff you use for finish polishing and clean it often with a gouge to remove old burnt polish, once the polish blackens clean the buff and reapply new polish it's worth the extra effort when you see the finished product

1 - 16 of 16 Posts