RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished polishing the 1 of the 2 oil covers on my bike today. These are the thin aluminum covers on each side of the bike right below the seat that cover the oil reservoir. The one on the left side is the cover in which the key hole for the seat release is in. real easy to remove, one 4mm Allen bolt and the rest is held on with rubber grommets.

The paint came off fairly easy using a 340 grit paddle style stripper for my bench grinder. I then used the hard polishing wheel and mothers polishing compound. I then followed with the soft polishing wheel and some more mothers.

Then it was time for the good old hand rub with an old sock and yes more mothers polish. I have posted pics in the gallery for all to see. I will finish the other side tomorrow when I get home from work.

Over all time was about 2 hours. It should go faster tomorrow now that I have technique down.

Download Attachment: polished oil cover.jpg
30.68KB

Download Attachment: black oil cover.jpg
29.51KB

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey Cougwarrior,

Nice touch! Did you consider using a chemical stripper to get the paint off? Wonder if acetone or denatured alchohol would do it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
cougwarrior
i did the same thing and polished the covers
until i found out they are not alumium there soft steel i ended up having mine chromed
if ya dont believe me stick a magnet on em.

200MM

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 200MM

cougwarrior
i did the same thing and polished the covers
until i found out they are not alumium there soft steel i ended up having mine chromed
if ya dont believe me stick a magnet on em.

200MM

What did it cost to get them dipped?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
200mm-

well aren't you just spoiling all my fun. ****, so now i guess the dumb things are going to rust on me. looks like i'll either have to paint them or clear coat it. well, i guess it will look good for now.

As for using a chemical stripper, i tried that and it was faster to use the flapper cause you eng up having to get rid of some of the imperfections under the paint anyway.

so how about the fender stays, are they aluminum? those were next on the list to polish after the covers, but if they are steel too, i may not.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i know its a pain in the butt all that time wasted polishing and they just rust they ended up costing me 125.00 to chrome from a local plater i he's pricey but hes one of the best in the country at the time i had my parts in there he was re chromeing a 500 thousand dollar bently the fender stays are aluminum
so polish away
200MM

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Well, someone posted that they were steel and not aluminum already. I was afraid you did this and that's what got me to looking to give you a warning. Good time for paint or chrome now.

Download Attachment: Side cover closeup.JPG
26.57KB

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Coug,
Sorry you had to spend all that time polishing. Concept was good. Personally, I like the different choices we get with paints.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
has anyone ever painted clear coat over bare metal? Just looking for options cause i really like the way it looks with the shine. any ideas of a good brand of paint. i have always used PPG.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
PPG is all over my bike, that's a good coice. You could clear over bare metal, but the imperfections in your polish job would be enhanced by the clear, as it adds depth. Polish your fender struts away, they are aluminum. The casting isn't all that great though and you'll find slightly different shades in the aluminum due to the slag added in the casting process. You could color match these also. Just a thought, I've seen it on other forum members bikes and it looks pretty **** good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts