RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried polishing the stock wheels? i would like to polish the wheels where they are aluminum looking and leave the black stuff on there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Polishing is easy if you don't mind the EXTREME mess and have the a lots of time to spare. I polished my RoadStar front forks and triple trees along with the rear brake rotor.

Here are some places I booked marked where I learned everything. I spent about $300 on polsihing bonnets, compounds and buffer.

[url="http://www.caswellplating.com/>http://www.caswellplating.com/

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you are going to leave the black surfaces black you won't have too rough of a time, strip the clear off with aircraft stripper, being very careful not to get any of it on the black, once stripped wetsand the **** out of the stripped surfaces with 1000 to 1500 grit with that done use caswells blue cut and color compound on a 2 or 3 inch buff in your die grinder to polish it out nice and shiny, you should be able to do both rims in about a day, if you were going to do the black part of the rim it would be quite a bit more labor intensive and yes it is messy as you would have to grind all the rough stuff down smooth with roloc discs and then wetsand, it is a long process
polishing is nothing more than making the scratches as microscopic as possible before you polish, the polish just smoothes over whats left making it reflect light, the deeper the scratches that are left behind the less it will reflect light

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well I'm in the proccess of doing this right now,but I'm doing the whole wheel,so far smoothing out the rough casting has been the worst part,very time consuming and labor intensive you have to remove a lot of material before all the pits are gone.If I wasn't such a cheap a*s I would have paid to have it done,but the original estimates of $400 to polish both wheels climbed substantially when they saw how rough they were,but to answer your question even if you want to polish just the unpainted areas you'll have to do quite a bit of grinding as all those surfaces have machined grooved finish you must smooth out before it will polish up.Once you have the area smooth the polishing is the easy part if you have the right eqipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts