RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fixing to start the process of rounding up things for getting my tank and fenders ready for paint.I am really wanting to put a flush mount paintable pop up cap on the tank. I have done a search and there isn't a whole lot of press on this here. From what I have gathered the cap on the warrior tank is ventless because the vent is on the under side of the tank. My question is would it hurt anything to have a vented cap as well? All of the pop ups I can find seem to be vented. I dont see why it would matter but please let me know if I am wrong. I found this one http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=301170and thought it looked pretty good. If you have experience with a pop up I would like to hear your opinion on them. Once this is done there will be no going back so I want to be sure in my choice. Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
i just pulled mine off, wrapped up the lock from the bottom with masking tape, covered the top of the lock the same way, bead blasted it, etch primed it and painted it black to match my tank,loks outstanding.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
The gas tank must be vented in some fashion! The enclosed url shows thestock arrangement. Your planned modification of the welded bung will require a vented gas cap
and i suspect eliminate the overflow of the stock tank.

Tank Venting Question: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26856/387293.aspx#387293

·
Administrator
29,681 Posts
Have you checked the installed height after weld-in to be sure it will clear, it appears too tall for the depth. If you do this you might retain the vent line below the tank just in case. I remember a post where some unexpected problems surfaced and don't recall the specifics but it involved the vent line and a cap swap.

IMO the pop-up caps are a pain in the real world.

baclay9 said:
I am fixing to start the process of rounding up things for getting my tank and fenders ready for paint.I am really wanting to put a flush mount paintable pop up cap on the tank. I have done a search and there isn't a whole lot of press on this here. From what I have gathered the cap on the warrior tank is ventless because the vent is on the under side of the tank. My question is would it hurt anything to have a vented cap as well? All of the pop ups I can find seem to be vented. I dont see why it would matter but please let me know if I am wrong. I found this one http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=301170and thought it looked pretty good. If you have experience with a pop up I would like to hear your opinion on them. Once this is done there will be no going back so I want to be sure in my choice. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Be carefull with those pop-ups. A buddy of mine has a brand new Big Bear Chopper Sled 300. He was out riding one day and was low on gas. He pulled into the station and when he tried to pop-up his pop-up it wouldn't pop.
Anyhow, he ended up prying it up with a flathead screwdriver and scratching his custom tank in the process. His warranty covered the cap but not the paint. They said he should have traileredthe bikeback to the dealership instead of prying it up. It happened on a Sunday when the Stealership was closed.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlanH said:
baclay9 .... as long as you are prepared to do sheet metal work to the top of the gastank, almost anything can be used .... just be sure that the cap is vented as discussed earlier

I do plan to have the sheet metal work done and am trying to find out locally what this is going to cost. I got a quote from one guy today for paint and sheetmetal work and I felt that it was outrageous. But I may just be kidding myself. This may be way out of my price range. I may just end up having a paint job done and forgetting the metal work.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have a freind that built a custom and used a pop up cap. it worked fine for a while but the second season of riding the paint around it started peeling.It was the fumes seeping out from the cap.It ruined his custom paint. He has gotten a new style which has a protective ring but is no longer flush. I would stay away from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts