RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems I have once again looked in the wrong place for my issue. I replaced a starter relay and when I fired up the bike it didn't sound right at all. After tearing through a huge list I found out im am idiot. It seems the brand new relay was faulty so the starter remained on the entire time the engine was running. Unfortunately I don't really have baffles so the pipes overpowered the noise of the starter. The starter is not damaged thankfully. I am new to these bikes . The bike did backfire and spit flames when I first started it and it sounded horrible. Is there anything that could have been damaged by the starter running.? I did let it idol for a decent amount of time while trying to figure out what the sound was.....

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I have had my starter stay running once like that.
If your starter still works then there probably isnt much more to do. Mine did it once and I didnt change the relay right away and never had another problem with it.

FYI these starters have a tendency to have the magnets come unglued. I think it happens from heat. The glue that holds the magnets in gets weak with heat, my theory. So if you try starting it sometimes and nothing happens, the starter doesnt spin over, that could be the problem a magnet came loose and jammed the starter up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had my starter stay running once like that.
If your starter still works then there probably isnt much more to do. Mine did it once and I didnt change the relay right away and never had another problem with it.

FYI these starters have a tendency to have the magnets come unglued. I think it happens from heat. The glue that holds the magnets in gets weak with heat, my theory. So if you try starting it sometimes and nothing happens, the starter doesnt spin over, that could be the problem a magnet came loose and jammed the starter up.
Cool cool. Thanks for the info!

·
Administrator
29,480 Posts
May I please ask a difficult question, did you buy the part from a Yamaha dealer or seller, or from ebay or such. Thank you.

When I questioned your starter solenoid post and you clarified starter relay, and you kindly posted the picture, I saw the battery connection is on the correct side, and I attributed the rubber boot damage to being understandable on a nearly 20 year old bike.

If you bought this starter relay from a Yamaha seller or dealer and specified Road Star Warrior, then I would not suspect what follows: if you bought it elsewhere then the relay circuits may not be correct for RSW. These relays look alike in many cases, but subtle differences exist and many sellers make assumptions because they are clueless.

If the circuits are wrong then you might have somewhat melted a wire somewhere along its length (even the wires coming off the plug).

Also, if the starter continued to run while the motor was running then potential exists for Sprague clutch (anti-reversing gearing) damage, starter gear damage, and other general starter damage. If any occurred, it could take time to become observable.

You might do a motor oil and filter change and carefully inspect all the oil, including the oil poured out of the filter, for steel or aluminum shavings.

Also, while riding, just pay attention for any increased lifter noise from metal plugging the hydraulic lifters and push rods. And of course if the clutch starts slipping due to embedded metal shavings.

Probably you're fine.

Hope you let me know where you got the (faulty) (wrong) starter relay. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May I please ask a difficult question, did you buy the part from a Yamaha dealer or seller, or from ebay or such. Thank you.
Of course! I should have mentioned that. My apologies . the part I orders was on eBay . not my best choice. I just orders another one from a different company and made sure to check the reviews and such . something I definitely shall have done to begin with lol.... Live n learn I guess.

·
Administrator
29,480 Posts
I expanded my earlier post. Thanks for letting me know its ebay. I cannot count how many here have damaged their bikes from ebay relays . . . this is a rare case when the dealer part price is worth it. Most dealer parts people know a R* and a R*W can have different parts so they double check. Other sellers could care less. I realize this could be a bad example but hopefully you understand the concept.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I expanded my earlier post. Thanks for letting me know its ebay. I cannot count how many here have damaged their bikes from ebay relays . . . this is a rare case when the dealer part price is worth it. Most dealer parts people know a R* and a R*W can have different parts so they double check. Other sellers could care less. I realize this could be a bad example but hopefully you understand the concept.
Indeed. Thanks again for the information. I hope nobody else makes the same mistake .

·
Administrator
29,480 Posts
We keep an eye out. I should have been more careful to inquire with you but you seemed to have a handle on it plus I sorta felt like you were feeling pressured. I guess I probably thought you had read about this in other threads here.

Hopefully your bike survived. Maybe in the future I will ask members to post video with sound to YouTube, although in the past this has not been met with enthusiasm lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We keep an eye out. I should have been more careful to inquire with you but you seemed to have a handle on it plus I sorta felt like you were feeling pressured. I guess I probably thought you had read about this in other threads here.

Hopefully your bike survived. Maybe in the future I will ask members to post video with sound to YouTube, although in the past this has not been met with enthusiasm lol.
I'm gonna have her put back together this weekend. I will probably post the sound if it persists

1 - 9 of 9 Posts