RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back my side covers from being powder coated, actually these covers I fabbed myself welded brackets for them and they will fit the left and right side to hide the wiring and throttle bodies. Now the question, there gloss black and appear to have what appears to be a wavy appearence. Now just to give some background, I painstakingly made sure they were perfectly flat, went from 80,120,180,220,380,600,1000 and then 1200 grit sandpaper, so the surface is absolutly perfect. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Also is it possible to wet sand powdercoating then just buff it out. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just asked the guy thats painting my bike and he said that you can, just not to sand it to much. But, I would get second opinion just to be sure.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking about wet sanding with 600 just to smooth it out. Hopefully someone who has done this chimes in.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mike, how thick is the material you got coated? It sounds like the heat from the curing may have warped the metal.

·
Registered
523 Posts
All of my powder coatingis smooth like paint. They did have textured finishes if you wanted that, but I went with the smooth.

Maybe they put a wavy finish on it instead of smooth?

·
Registered
188 Posts
+1 agree, it sounds as though your metal warped. i havehad many things coated and never gotten a wavy look.the thinnest thing that i have had coated were the fork tube covers and the belt cover, they turned out nice.

royale5 said:
Mike, how thick is the material you got coated? It sounds like the heat from the curing may have warped the metal.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
++1, sounds like warpage or improper application. I've powder coated rims, frames, covers, even valve covers, and they always came out smooth like a babies bottom. What guage metal did you use? I would take them back.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The metal is 1/8 inch steal, I guess I should better explain my issue. When you look at the piece it almost looks like water, like small little ripples if that makes any sense. Not to mention this is the second time that I will be taking them back, the first time there was horrible pitting. Maybe I need to switch powder coaters.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I may be misinterpreting your explanation here but what you are describing. . .Sounds like orange peel. Just like with a liquid finish(paint). You can get orange peel with powder coat when the piece is either not clean well enough, improperly coated(I.E.- running the gun at too high air pressure, not applieing powder thick enough, fluidizing adjustment incorrect, etc.) or if the piece is not heated correctly(I.E. - not enough heat, not cured long enough, etc.).

You can sand powder coat but there is generaly no reason for this to be necessary. If you do intend to sand the finish just keep this in mind. Powder coat is a plastic finish and while it is much tougher and more corossion resistant than liquid finishes, it is also a fair bit thinner. It's a little bit harder to sand but if you get carried away there's not alot of forgiveness and no "touch up". Just has to be recoated.

That's my two cents. I'm a "backyard powdercoater" and certainly no professional/expert. What I know is from experience and making mistakes; of which I've made many. Orange peel and over-sanding included.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
I want to get my rims done but I don't know where to go. I am in northern virginia. I am mechanically retarded. So, I dont know how to take my rims apart or off. I just got the bike.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
ZZR12 said:
I just got back my side covers from being powder coated, actually these covers I fabbed myself welded brackets for them and they will fit the left and right side to hide the wiring and throttle bodies. Now the question, there gloss black and appear to have what appears to be a wavy appearence. Now just to give some background, I painstakingly made sure they were perfectly flat, went from 80,120,180,220,380,600,1000 and then 1200 grit sandpaper, so the surface is absolutly perfect. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Also is it possible to wet sand powdercoating then just buff it out. Any help would be appreciated.
Did you sand them with a block or your fingers? The only way to keep surface flat is with a block.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
iknow , sand them flat and smooth again and just paint them and buff them to that glass like finish you are looking for. the powdercoater would have sand blasted the parts ,so the ultimate fine grit you used was a waste of time ,ask him what he done to prep them. or if he just shot over the to smooth of a surface it could have effected the powder that way and not let it stick as it should have.1/8 metal didnt warp in the oven thats for sure,it only gets around 350 or400 degreesor something close. btk572

1 - 14 of 14 Posts