RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Blacked out Warrior, 2 years old and 3000 miles later and it's still completely stock [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]. I come to you other warrior people, with the same question everyone else asks..

What do I do now?

Except I know what I want to do. I just have no clue where to start.

They're all going to make me broke but I have to decide which of the Big Three are the most worth it to me. The most common answer will be "It all depends on what you want to do and what you think is important" which is good stuff and true, but guys (and ladies) I wanna know what YOU would do if you were me... when you used to be me and where you are now... if you could start allllll over again which would you do:

Power, comfort, or style? Go fast with less reliability, feel good with less looks and same power, or look good with less feeling and same power? Are there any secret have-cake-eat-it-too things I could do to have two of those or all three? Do you think there's essentials this bike needs to bring it up to zero from stock?

Power - exhaust, big air kit, ais, power commander, oil cooler
Comfort - awesome seat, forward controls (I'm 6'5"), handlebars
Style - gigantic 250+ rear, front cowl, fender eliminator, fork rake and bigger front wheel

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Comfort would be my first option.....Rumble Seat, Carlini Super Sweepers Handlebars, Legend Forward Controls.

Power.....don't know about not being reliable. My Big Bore is pretty darn solid & reliable as my ole' little 102.

Style.....the Warrior was styling right out of the box.

Its all about making it your own.

·
Registered
214 Posts
for me there are 2 must do mods when i get a bike. they are always my #1 priority: pipes + fender eliminator. These two along change the appearance of the bike greatly and also add to performance. Next is always an air filter since it's cheap, then I go from there. On the warrior I chose to go with the power mods (BAK+AIS+PC3) because I come from a few naked sports and wanted a bit more umph out of the warrior. I changed bars because if the style factor, but to my surprise it added greatly to the comfort department as well. On my speed triple and 919 I went with cosmetic mods (CF parts, mirrors, cowls, etc).

Anyways, it's hard to dictate what mods should be done to the bike. Some wanna go fast and some wanna look good. Me, i wanna look good while going fast. What do you want?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Being that you are tall you will want more comfort in order to enjoy any of the other options.
I'm 6'4" & you will need at least 3" extensions of your pegs/controls, you could go for the Legends forward controls or another & you will get approx 4.5 inches more room with good looks too.
The stock seat & bars on an 05 are not bad for me on comfort so you could hold off on those for awhile if needed.

I would make the bike comfortable first, then you can do as you please, add power & style as your credit limit will allow.
Good luck & have fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I definitely think the stock exhaust must go. After that I would look for comfort add-ons that also add style i.e. handle bars, forward controls or extensions. Can't go wrong anyway you go because the Warrior is a beautiful platform to start with. Have fun with it![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I went with comfort first... but not all out comfort. I still needed to be able to ride for a while, and the stock seat wasn't cutting it. I got a Corbin seat, and bars that had more pullback. The bars happened to be for both style and comfort, so that was a plus. If you are okay on the stock seat, then you are further along than me. After these two mods, I was on to the small but very noticeable power mods: quality BAK and Pipes. After that, it's been pretty much all style. I still have big plans for the power, but I'm happy with the power... for now.

If I had to pick an order, a) least comfort you could get away with, b) basic power mods, c) style all the way. Then go back to power to finish up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic stuff guys keep it coming!

Darkstar is there a place to get Legend fwd controls that aren't $800 or is that pretty much what you pay everwhere? I'd love the blacked out ones to keep up the all black look. Comfort seems to be the winner thus far .. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Elite Forward Controls are not over-priced, but your going tobe hard pressed to find black out forward controls minus Supreme Legends.

qualityhttp://www.phatperformanceparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPP-001RSW

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Couldn't you buy the less expensive set of forward controls and simply powdercoat black? I would bet the cost would be less than 100 bucks if you disassembled them yourself and bought a rebuild kit ofr the brake master cylinder. If black is the color you want that is a sure fire way to get it and it seems like it would be cheaper than the Legends.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
unreasonable,

I'd say go for power and you'll get a little looks to boot when you switch out the water heater of an exhaust that's on the stock Warrior.

But that's just my opinion...[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The pipes are the priority. Yamaha should just design a better looking exhaust. After that a seat. You'll wnat to feel confortable to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
395 Posts
one element that we never discuss to much is impulse buying, you know you start out trying to do one mod then you see that sale on the item you may want down the line and you just gotta have it. thats whats happens to most warrior owners. about 75% of my bike is from impulse buying, always getting a mod I didn't mean to get at that time. Im glad though cuz it works out for me. what really drives me are those ebay sale when you see someting cheaper than the dealer, the problem is the other warrior owners feel the same way and there goes the price. that just make me look harder for another deal, ok so! what yes Im junkie money! warrior torrior! modd freak, and all I can say to you is welcome home![}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Stock '06 here. I'm also pretty tall, 6'4". I'm used to riding in tiny cars and I'm not too uncomfortable with the stock controls.

I've already ordered the VBAK kit, I've shaved down the rear fender, and I've ordered a used set of corbin touring seats. Getting comfortable seats is my top priority right now. If the corbins don't work out, I'll look at getting gel pads added to the seats.

The way I look at mods is, if I am going to do them ALL eventually, then the order doesn't matter too much. I'll just wing it as I go along. Power and styling are both pretty well covered from stock, so comfort is one of my top priorities.

I've made a list of everything I'd like to do to my bike. Then as I get money, I look at the list and decide what I want to do next, what will give me the most bang for my buck. Honestly, replacing the exhaust isn't real high on my list right now. The elite forward controls will probably be my next purchase. AIS blockoff and integrated tail light will be up there too. Those are pretty cheap. After that I'll look at a new bar. Then, maybe exhaust + PCIII.

Have fun, that's what this is all about!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think my mind is made up...
Round 0 Exhaust!
Round 1 Forward controls - I can live with chrome for $400 less if it means lots more comfort. Also a nice solo seat and fender eliminator and AIS.
Round 2 BAK and PCIII stuff
Round 3 Front cowl and 260 rear and reshaped fender and dual oil coolers. If 6 grand falls from the sky I'm thinking all 3 rounds at once /emoticons/emotion-1.gif /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Thanks for the info everyone. I'd still love to hear some more points of view especially from you taller guys.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
quote:Originally posted by unreasonable

Round 0 Exhaust!
Round 1 Forward controls - I can live with chrome for $400 less if it means lots more comfort. Also a nice solo seat and fender eliminator and AIS.
Round 3 Front cowl and 260 rear and reshaped fender and dual oil coolers. If 6 grand falls from the sky I'm thinking all 3 rounds at once /emoticons/emotion-1.gif /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Thanks for the info everyone. I'd still love to hear some more points of view especially from you taller guys.

Sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'M 6'5 also and I wish i had done the forward controls a lot sooner than I did. I have the barons radius drag bars and the comfort level is perfect with the stock seat. As far as performance and styling i did the ones that do both. Bak and AIS block off to gain performance and clean up the engine and exhaust and PCIII usb to set it off. You can allways save the money from the fender eliminator and get an integrated tailight for the same price and chop the fender off and go with a sidemount plate. This will make you a much happier rider while your saving for the 260 kit!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't find an inexpensive side mount. I chopped the rear fender myself and I should have an integrated tail light showing up today! Tonight will be another late one for me.

·
Registered
581 Posts
quote:Originally posted by unreasonable

Round 0 Exhaust!

How about safety? Front HID lights seem to be a great MOD that once people do it, wish they did it first.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54784

·
Registered
761 Posts
http://www.motorcyclemods.com/quote:Originally posted by Pyre

I can't find an inexpensive side mount. I chopped the rear fender myself and I should have an integrated tail light showing up today! Tonight will be another late one for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts