RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I’ve been searching for a while now but haven’t found it yet. I’ve had my PowrPro black installed for 4 years and the bike’s run great up until a month ago. All of a sudden (after riding with my dumb Harley friends) it started to develop a “hiccup”, especially when accelerating from first to second. Seemed to be progressively getting worse so I looked into it more. I checked my BAK, filters, and vacuum lines, changed my plugs and coils. Tested and thought my TPS was faulty so I changed that. Changed exhaust gaskets. Bought a CPS kit but it just came after a month of waiting. Anyway, the only way to get the bike to run decent was to zero out the cruise and accel settings. Even then I got the occasional hiccup. It also pops and farts like crazy sometimes on deceleration which it never did before. Finally today I just unplugged the thing, to find that there were no more hiccups. It still pops but I expect that since I’m sure it’s running a bit lean (BAK and street sweepers). So my question is has my PowrPro black pooped out on me? If so, would Cobra help me out at all or would I have to cough up $500 again? Would it be better to just do Ivan’s ECU or would I still need a fuel processor? I’ve become so frustrated that I started looking at other bikes but I really love this bike. Just can’t deal with it running at less than 100%. Any feedback or input is greatly appreciated. You guys are a wealth of knowledge👍.

·
Registered
411 Posts
DO NOT get rid of your RSW! I had a similar issue happen to me except I was running Ivan's ECU with it. I encountered the same thing and fiddled with the idle, cruise and accel settings with limited success. After consulting with some of the fella's on this forum along with Ivan, I decided to remove the Cobra Black and run just Ivan's ECU. Some
bikes respond better with the cobra unit and said upgrades, some do not. Mine in particular runs exceptional without the cobra black and just Ivan's. I have been monitoring the spark plugs for signs of being to lean and they are exactly what you want them to look like. I would consult Cobra as they are great in assisting and from there I would definitely do an Ivans ECU as dollar for dollar it is probably THE best upgrade you could do in my opinion. I hope this helps you out. Ride safe and post up what you decide and the results.
Rg

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight Rg. This is my 3rd Warrior. I just can’t keep away... My riding buddies don’t get it. It’s tough because the bike has always run awesome so it’s unnerving to try to sort through this issue that I haven’t found the solution to yet.

·
Registered
411 Posts
tlr-fan;

I think most of us on here can relate to your not being able to "stay away" from the RSW. Please follow the advice from arizonawarrior as he is one of the most knowledgeable
and experienced members with this ride. I can attest that he has helped me immensely along my journey with my RSW. I honestly feel we can get her sorted out for you with
input from the fella's on here!! Pass on any and all accurate information to those who will chime in on this and lets get this done!! Ride Safe and Be Safe.
Rg

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be certain the tuner's ground is solid and clean, and disconnect bluetooth so its non-accel tune feature is inactive. If you have played with CO1/2 recently that could mess. Also, verify warm idle 850~950 rpm.
Disconnect blue tooth I assume means disable on my phone. If you mean on the PowrPro how do I achieve this?

·
Administrator
28,971 Posts
Disconnect blue tooth I assume means disable on my phone. If you mean on the PowrPro how do I achieve this?
Yep, the PowrPro Black has a red led indicating power is applied to the tuner. Plus a blue led indicating bluetooth (blinking means pairing in process and solid means paired). Use your app to unpair and check the blue led is not illuminated meaning nothing can alter your custom settings.

There is also a reset function to restore original factory settings. Its handy because its possible to make adjustments that contradict each other. Doing a restore helps unclutter and therefore unconfuse. Then make any custom tweaks indicated necessary during riding.

In cases of backfiring thru exhaust its best to search for gasket/hose air leaks and over-rich or over-lean A:F. Otherwise the tuner should autotune.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I’m gonna double check everything and try resetting to see what it does. When I bought it I didn’t look into the Bluetooth settings at all. I just thought it was plug and play with no real adjustments.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arizona:
Disconnected ground, inspected, reconnected. Reset PowrPro black and disconnected from Bluetooth. Test rode with same results. Hiccups in gears 2 and up. Tried a few different settings and tested. Even tried removing fuel and testing. No luck. Finally, reconnected the old FI2000 that came with the bike (3 pot) and set to Churchkeys old settings with similar mods. Bike ran well with no hiccups, and most backfiring I had was gone. Not as powerful as with my PowrPro black but “good” and predictable. I’m under the impression now that the PowrPro black has an internal problem. Wish I knew someone locally that had one so I could test theirs on my bike. I did contact Cobra to see what they think.
Any more ideas?

·
Administrator
28,971 Posts
Assuming the AIS is deleted and properly plugged (verify), and assuming warm idle is set at spec 850~950rpm, next time you try the CVT also try warm idle 900~1000rpm.

These CVT's run by nature slightly rich, and by design they run a bit more rich under acceleration. As you already know the Black model has an app adjustment for other-than-acceleration: do a reset again then try only setting other-than-acceleration by a couple increments toward lean. This could solve backfire and hesitation coming off warm idle, and when steady cruising.

Also try more throttle the instant before engaging the clutch, minimum 1100 rpm from standing start. Keep the rpm's up. The bike likes it.

I'm interested in your results, please post back in this thread in the future if you are able to try this solution.

From what you have posted these are the last ideas I have, assuming no vacuum/intake leaks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assuming the AIS is deleted and properly plugged (verify), and assuming warm idle is set at spec 850~950rpm, next time you try the CVT also try warm idle 900~1000rpm.

These CVT's run by nature slightly rich, and by design they run a bit more rich under acceleration. As you already know the Black model has an app adjustment for other-than-acceleration: do a reset again then try only setting other-than-acceleration by a couple increments toward lean. This could solve backfire and hesitation coming off warm idle, and when steady cruising.

Also try more throttle the instant before engaging the clutch, minimum 1100 rpm from standing start. Keep the rpm's up. The bike likes it.

I'm interested in your results, please post back in this thread in the future if you are able to try this solution.

From what you have posted these are the last ideas I have, assuming no vacuum/intake leaks.
Hey Arizona,
Tried all combinations and still can’t get rid of that hiccup. I even put a new end on the ground wire to see if it was the problem. No luck...
Cobra would have put in a warranty claim on it but I can’t find the receipt for it. After almost 5 years of using it I wasn’t surprised I couldn’t locate it. They also said that more than likely if my bike runs better with the FI2000R than the PowrPro that the PowrPro is probably shot. I’m not spending another $500 so I’ll live with it being less than awesome.

Yesterday when I went for a ride the bike just shut off on me twice at about 2200 rpm for some reason. Pretty unnerving. Today took it out for an hour+ and no issues. It still has a rough spot between 2100-2500 rpm but other than that it runs like a raped ape.

Still, not sure if I should trade it in or not. I don’t get to ride often (3 young kids and a wife) so I don’t want to have to worry about dependability if I do go on a long ride. Considering going back to Honda but man it is tough. I’ve put countless hours in on this bike making it into the machine I wanted it to be.

Oh well, I digress (read midlife crisis)...

·
Administrator
28,971 Posts
And zero hiccups without the black?
I was about to start suspecting either trouble brewing with the CPS or TPS, know what I mean? But no matter which side I look at it, its dazed and confused. Hmmm.

Cobra would likely test your black free if you send it to them. Maybe you need to get past the desk and get to a technical person and ask? It has to be a case where its not resetting completely to original specs.

Does yours have a dial (pot) inside the unit's case? Did they maybe manually tweak it for some reason?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah... no hiccups with stock ecu only or the FI2000R hooked up.

I’ve suspected the CPS and actually have a couple kits here so maybe look at it over the winter. It hasn’t completely failed obviously, but I do occasionally have the bike shut off while I’m riding for no apparent reason. Sometimes I just turn the key off then on and it fires back up but sometimes the fuel pump won’t kick on so quickly. Seems to happen early in my rides then after the bike is hotter goes away. I’ve tried to troubleshoot why in my head without any luck.

I may send the PowrPro black to Cobra for testing, but I have my doubts that they’d be honest with me about it, as they have nothing to gain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
I’ve been searching for a while now but haven’t found it yet. I’ve had my PowrPro black installed for 4 years and the bike’s run great up until a month ago. All of a sudden (after riding with my dumb Harley friends) it started to develop a “hiccup”, especially when accelerating from first to second. Seemed to be progressively getting worse so I looked into it more. I checked my BAK, filters, and vacuum lines, changed my plugs and coils. Tested and thought my TPS was faulty so I changed that. Changed exhaust gaskets. Bought a CPS kit but it just came after a month of waiting. Anyway, the only way to get the bike to run decent was to zero out the cruise and accel settings. Even then I got the occasional hiccup. It also pops and farts like crazy sometimes on deceleration which it never did before. Finally today I just unplugged the thing, to find that there were no more hiccups. It still pops but I expect that since I’m sure it’s running a bit lean (BAK and street sweepers). So my question is has my PowrPro black pooped out on me? If so, would Cobra help me out at all or would I have to cough up $500 again? Would it be better to just do Ivan’s ECU or would I still need a fuel processor? I’ve become so frustrated that I started looking at other bikes but I really love this bike. Just can’t deal with it running at less than 100%. Any feedback or input is greatly appreciated. You guys are a wealth of knowledge👍.
It’s the motherboard I pretty much had the same problem with Ivin ECU flash and I sent it back to Cobra and they fixed it basically the motherboard needed to be upgraded and they sent me back a new one and it’s been fine ever since...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts