RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on the CoolTool Blog. It makes for a cheap winter modification.

Here's an easier way to flat-proof your bicycle: make a flap of stiff plastic that extends in front of the back wheel until it nearly touches the pavement. Then glue or rivet a rubber flap to the lower edge that brushes against the pavement. A bleach bottle is a particularly good source of plastic since you can gain some stiffness from curve to the neck, and depending on your bicycle design, you might even profit from the neck itself. I learned this many years ago when I was a motorcycle mechanic and discovered that perhaps 90 percent of all flats are on the back wheel. The reason: the front wheel stands the object up, the back wheel runs into it. All the flap does is knock the object back down, and that's all that's necessary. I put one these on my motorcycles and have never again had a flat in more than thirty years and hundreds of thousands of miles of riding. I put them on my bicycles too, and never have flats. -- Bill Babcock

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had to read that a few times, but I think I get it. What you suggest is more or less a mud flap in front of the rear tire. I would really like to see a pic.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
antitech1 said:
I had to read that a few times, but I think I get it. What you suggest is more or less a mud flap in front of the rear tire. I would really like to see a pic.

+1, lets see a pic.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I imagine that would look like crap. This guy is suggesting you put a piece of a bleach bottle on your bike. I think I"ll just take the small risk of getting a flat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts