RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rearching license plate kits tonight and I noticed that almost everybody has their license plate number photoshopped out of the picture. Why is this? You ride around all the time with your license plate number clearly visibable, but in a picture you make sure nobody can see what it is. Why is this? If somebody on the internet , such as me got a hold of your license plate number, what could I possibly do with it? What is the point of photoshopping your license place number out of the photo? Does anybody know?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
antitech1 said:
False insurance claims? Hiding from the law? I do it and I really dont know why.

+1

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've done it too. The way I see it, it's one less piece of information that people can match to you. The huge problem of identity theft is all about matching enough separate pieces of information about you, so that someone can fool others into thinking that they are you. Driving down the road displaying my plate number to others, is one piece of information they know about me. No harm there, unless they figure out what my name is, where I work, etc. -- then maybe they are getting closer to knowing me. The more individual pieces of personal information I can keep private, the better.

I don't stress about it too much, but that is my reasoning for taking 15 seconds to blank out (or change) my plate numbers before I post pics on the web.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I asked the same thing a few years ago when I made the "mistake" of posting an unaltered picture and everyone freaked out like I was now in every theft database in the world instantly. It really doesn't take but a few seconds though to edit and there's not really any point in not doing it considering how unfriendly things can sometimes get on the web. I'm pretty certain it wouldn't take much to get someone's name and address from a license plate as it would fall under public records.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I thought it was possibly because many of the bikes have modifications that aren't fully legal and the discussion within the forum might make it hard for someone to deny their non legal components/ actions because it is not unheard of for law enforcement to use such information in a court scenario.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Give me your license plate number and I get your driving record, your name address and possibly your social. Once I get your name and address if you have a run in with the law where a report was filed I can get all kinds of info. Not true in every case but it is true in some cases. Maybe one in ten license plates numberwill reveal vital info.Be caredul you never know who is watching.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe I should stop driving all over **** and back displaying my license plates. Someone following me might not like my road rage, take a picture of my plate and post it on the internet for all the wackos to run all their bad guy database crap on me. My personal thought about this topic is that it is like kind of an urban legend type of thing that you should fuzz out your plate number when you post it on a website. Once upon a time, someone started it, now people do it because everybody else does it. Some of us ugly maggots ought to worry about fuzzin out our faces instead of our plates...........
My $0.02.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I don't do it because if anybody is looking for me, they'll find me anyway. I usually hide in plain sight. If somebody has my license plate number, I guess that they could look it up to figure out who I am. Or, they could just ask me, I'm not ashamed or afraid to be me.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I never worried about it. I recall a thread about "what name you chose for your license plate", and seem to remember quite a few posts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts