RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping for some kind of answer to this issue.

I just had both the TPS and CPS recalls done to my warrior. Now the engine isn't running as it was before. Seems to have lost some of its get up and go and I'm getting a lot more backfires. It feels like the timing may be off. (Is there such an adjustment?)
I have a Roadhouse slipon exhaust for which the bike was tuned for and now I think I'm running too rich as the exit area of my exhaust pipe is turning black when before is was running really clean without any problems.
Tell me, do they have to make any changes or re-connections to the ECU when doing these recalls?
Would disconnecting the battery during this fix loose the previous setting which would have been made on the ECU? (Don't know if this is the right question to ask).
I would like to understand this a bit more before I jump down on the dealer for screwing up my sttings.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank to all

Gates (Montreal, Canada)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
Have a PCIII but its not installed yet. A winter project.
They need to reset the ECU to zero???

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by ohiomike

They need to reset it to zero.. Do you have a Pc3

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Since you have the PCIII, you should install it. It took me a few hours of hours and I went slow and methodical using the "Perfect Install", (after having problems with the install instructions that came with it, so skip this.) Once you have it done you have much easier control of the air/fuel mix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
mine is doing the same thing after the installs... de-acceration say from 2k down to 1k is aweful,loud popping, crackin, backfires, and raises ****... i have a hard chrome side burnner, and k&n filters, thats all... im just sitting back hoping it will fix itself... dealer said the instells were correct, yet i don't know why it is so bad after the installs... im may have to put a power commander of some type, anyone used the rev-tech fuel manager yet, let me know if you have and if it works for ya...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had the cps done and the same problems occured. Bike was stock. Dealer was an ass and took it for a ride after I told him it happens worse when cold. What do you know, when he returned he said the bike couldn't be running better.AHOLE Something is up with these cps units.
Now I have samson short slashers on so it pops like **** anyway.
F______IT

·
Premium Member
8,869 Posts
gandst1... there are no adjustments involved when replacing the CPS. It's strictly an R&R of the component part and a connector plug under the seat!

It's certainly possible that some inexperienced Tech took something apart that wasn't necessary and this is affecting the performance of the bike.

Since you don't have a PCIII, more then likely the area of concern is the TPS that requires some basic math calculations to properly set-up when the throttle bodies are in the closed position. This is based on actual resistance readings of the new TPS and is done with an ohm meter before mounting!

The Factory Shop Manual covers the adjustment procedure quite clearly IMO as i replaced mine out of pocket before the recall. If you are mechanically inclined and have a VOM with ohms x 1 scale (preferred) you can reinstall the part! This will involve removal to check resistances for the calculation.

Check my photos in this thread if interested in DIY: [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43717&SearchTerms=TPS

·
Registered
215 Posts
If it ain't broke..don't fix it !! 16,000 miles and my baby runs tight and strong!!No need for that recall!!Glad I didn't have them screw with my ride !!!Good Luck..It may never be the same............ /emoticons/emotion-6.gif

·
Premium Member
8,869 Posts
jake.... My '04' CPS started acting up at 18,735 miles and never broke down! Here's my saga if interested, so read the whole post:http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42828

The CPS Factory recall is a must do else you're riding a time bomb IMO!

We are lucky that we haven't lost any riders during the many failures of this vital component!
quote:Originally posted by jake

If it ain't broke..don't fix it !! 16,000 miles and my baby runs tight and strong!!No need for that recall!!Glad I didn't have them screw with my ride !!!Good Luck..It may never be the same............ /emoticons/emotion-6.gif

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Since the TPS has to do with the fuel delivery, You might have to readjust the ECU, to get the fuel/air ratio correct. Check your plugs and see if this is the case.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I also have the Roadhouse slip on and with mine , and others I have heard of , it is normal to get that black soot on the end cap.Maybe yours was too lean ??
If you do put your power commander on there is a decent map available to start with.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If your bike is worse now then before sounds like the dealer has got some adjustments to make, keep blasting your guns until the smoke clears.[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts