RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the weather has gotten colder, my bike seems to have more trouble starting cold. I assumed that it was the TPS recall that was giving my the trouble. I installed the big air kit that I got a couple of weeks ago and didnt change the way it started. I know that I doneed to change the air/fuel mix in the ECU to get better performance.I took the cold down time opportunityto do therecalls.I went to pick the bike up Saturday from the dealer, and it started perfect when I got there.When I got back to my house to drop it off, I tried to start itagain. First time it took about 10 cranks with some sputtering and finally got going. I let it run for a couple of minutes and shut it off. Normally the would have warmed it up enough that it wouldnt have problems, but there was. Second time, after about 10 cranks it blow smoke fromunder the gas tank(K&N's). After that I left it alone for a couple of hours in case it might have been flooded? Since then, I have the treat it like a carburated motor to get it to start, giving it a little throttle while cranking. If I didnt do that, It will never get going.

This is my bike: 2005, Sampson street sweepers, AIS block off, Big Air w/coil relocation (Red Horse) 14K miles on mobile 1 20-50 Vtwin

Before I call the dealer, do I need to first bump the ECU? Isn't the TPS recall fix this and the idling problem?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Mine has been like this since I've had it. I just hold the throttle on a little bit when it's real cold out. Assumingmy battery has the umph to turn it over at all (I have HC pistons), it generally fires up first or second try (with a little throttle). You also might want to make sure your idle is turned up high enough (900 rpms or even a tad higher). A low idle set would make hard cold starts as well...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts