RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I found lots of information on either or but not versus and at 215lbs with some 2 up Im leaning towards the Progressive Spring...
Has anyone had Both and can give an Honest opinion on this subject???
Oh I used search lol

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,569 Posts
I've ridden a 2003 Warrior with Progressive, stock height, no passenger. My 2003 has Eibach 1000 and is lowered. With Preload added and rebound control the Progressive felt fine. I have no experience with passenger on it. Mine rides a little stiffer but I prefer that.

The real issue is that if your 2002 has its original 2002 shock, which has Preload but no rebound control, either stiffer spring will create more pogo effect. That will be uncomfortable for passengers, and for the rider too.

Even with a 2003 or newer shock, the progressive cannot be lowered as much with a passenger. You can max out the Preload but I don't think the one I rode was maxed out.

Best I can do. Both are rider friendly but noticeably stiffer. On the 2002 shock the pogo can be a problem with either spring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like I need a lower mile replacement shock!!! Do the shocks all mount the same or do I need some other parts to go along with it??? Been too long to remember lol

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
I also do not have experience with an 02' shock but I did the whole progressive spring, the lowering links, eibach 1000 and the adjustable links. The progressive spring is to soft in the beginning and if you hit a nice bump it takes to long for the spring to catch up if you understand what I am saying. The progressive is supposed to be soft in the beginning and stiffen up the more it is compressed. I tried it stock and and with the lowering links and it just didn't work for me by myself and much less 2 up. I do measure a very svelte and chiseled 315 lbs. kinda like a small tonka truck. Either way the progressive was just too soft.

Now with the Eibach it was much better with a linear heavier spring. I did find it too low with the lowering links so swapped those out for adjustable Baron links and I got the look I wanted, stiffer which was nice, no bottoming out when I went 2 up and loaded with a bag for the weekend.

These are newer shock assemblies and they also have the Eibach spring mounted.

02 Yamaha XV1700 XV 1700 PC Road Star Warrior Rear Back Shock Spring | eBay

·
Premium Member
7,835 Posts
I have no experience with the 1000 but have the progressive with lowering links. When I first installed the progressive spring like others have said it seemed very soft and I would bottom out easy. I had it set up as per the owners manual and soon realized that the progressive spring was shorter than the stock spring so I had to throw the stock spring dampening and set up instructions out the window and crank the settings up a lot harder. Once I did this it eliminated the softness and bottoming out and the spring automatically compensated for when I was riding with the extra weigh of a passenger

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ChristoK your Explanation made More Sense than anything I've read on the Progressive Spring :) Was gonna go straight to the 1000 till I read that LoL Im a picky ******* so I will probably end up with Both and a newer style shock because I know I already don't like its performance!!! The Forks will get about 10cc more oil per leg to firm that up on Anything LoL I like Firm and Planted but not like a lowered S10 with Cut 3/4 ton springs or Some **** lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And Thanks for the Input Fellas this ones been bugging Me since I got the bike lol And I might lower it a smidgen with those adjustable links :) Eventually I want a 260 tire on the back so I need all the other pcs lol Fuxx it Its Only Money Right :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts