RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I found lots of information on either or but not versus and at 215lbs with some 2 up Im leaning towards the Progressive Spring...
Has anyone had Both and can give an Honest opinion on this subject???
Oh I used search lol

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
I've ridden a 2003 Warrior with Progressive, stock height, no passenger. My 2003 has Eibach 1000 and is lowered. With Preload added and rebound control the Progressive felt fine. I have no experience with passenger on it. Mine rides a little stiffer but I prefer that.

The real issue is that if your 2002 has its original 2002 shock, which has Preload but no rebound control, either stiffer spring will create more pogo effect. That will be uncomfortable for passengers, and for the rider too.

Even with a 2003 or newer shock, the progressive cannot be lowered as much with a passenger. You can max out the Preload but I don't think the one I rode was maxed out.

Best I can do. Both are rider friendly but noticeably stiffer. On the 2002 shock the pogo can be a problem with either spring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like I need a lower mile replacement shock!!! Do the shocks all mount the same or do I need some other parts to go along with it??? Been too long to remember lol

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
All interchange. You'll need the 2003+ shock adjustment Spanner that come in 2003+ tool kit. Not all aftermarket spanners fit well. I'm not aware of a recommended aftermarket part number but search might yield something.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
I also do not have experience with an 02' shock but I did the whole progressive spring, the lowering links, eibach 1000 and the adjustable links. The progressive spring is to soft in the beginning and if you hit a nice bump it takes to long for the spring to catch up if you understand what I am saying. The progressive is supposed to be soft in the beginning and stiffen up the more it is compressed. I tried it stock and and with the lowering links and it just didn't work for me by myself and much less 2 up. I do measure a very svelte and chiseled 315 lbs. kinda like a small tonka truck. Either way the progressive was just too soft.

Now with the Eibach it was much better with a linear heavier spring. I did find it too low with the lowering links so swapped those out for adjustable Baron links and I got the look I wanted, stiffer which was nice, no bottoming out when I went 2 up and loaded with a bag for the weekend.

These are newer shock assemblies and they also have the Eibach spring mounted.

02 Yamaha XV1700 XV 1700 PC Road Star Warrior Rear Back Shock Spring | eBay

·
Premium Member
7,851 Posts
I have no experience with the 1000 but have the progressive with lowering links. When I first installed the progressive spring like others have said it seemed very soft and I would bottom out easy. I had it set up as per the owners manual and soon realized that the progressive spring was shorter than the stock spring so I had to throw the stock spring dampening and set up instructions out the window and crank the settings up a lot harder. Once I did this it eliminated the softness and bottoming out and the spring automatically compensated for when I was riding with the extra weigh of a passenger

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ChristoK your Explanation made More Sense than anything I've read on the Progressive Spring :) Was gonna go straight to the 1000 till I read that LoL Im a picky ******* so I will probably end up with Both and a newer style shock because I know I already don't like its performance!!! The Forks will get about 10cc more oil per leg to firm that up on Anything LoL I like Firm and Planted but not like a lowered S10 with Cut 3/4 ton springs or Some **** lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And Thanks for the Input Fellas this ones been bugging Me since I got the bike lol And I might lower it a smidgen with those adjustable links :) Eventually I want a 260 tire on the back so I need all the other pcs lol Fuxx it Its Only Money Right :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
the only issue is finding a stock shock replacement. the only thing I have found is used. I don't really want a used 15-20 year old shock!! lol

·
Registered
2002 Warrior
100 Posts
All interchange. You'll need the 2003+ shock adjustment Spanner that come in 2003+ tool kit. Not all aftermarket spanners fit well. I'm not aware of a recommended aftermarket part number but search might yield something.
Does that mean you can use any year warrior shock on a 2002?

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Yes they are interchangeable.
CGAWarrior your options would be an older shock, a Progressive 465 shock ($500)
Or air ride like Tricky, Big Boar or AirFX

·
Registered
2002 Warrior
100 Posts
Found this last night from doing a little research:

Wow Hefty, I really like the look of that SS progressive! I would imagine the technology and features of a shock like that would surpass what came stock on the earlier warriors.
For those who really like that lowered profile but still want the ability to handle well (on demand) is an air ride is the only way to hit all the marks?
Just last weekend I was getting after a tight right turn heading uphill and bottomed out in a dip halfway through. It was hard enough to send a shock through my low back and neck Not to mention the damage to the bottom of the cobra pipe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
got tired of waiting for shocks to become avail. I bought a brand new take off from a 07. I ordered a Eibach 1000. I hope it feels better then my 02 oe shock with factory spring. Will it be stiffer or will it ride any better? Who's done the swap?

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
It will be stiffer but play with the adjustments as they make a difference.
Do a little google search to get a better idea of rebound and compression to help understand how to set it up to your likings.

·
Registered
2002 Warrior
100 Posts
Here’s an awesome review and comparison of the air rides:
I have been reading this thread and waiting for some time to type a reply. Here it is and i hope it helps.

I have a tricky air system on the warrior and a Platinum Air bleed and feed system on my Hayabusa. The platinum air system is very similar to the more expensive PCS (Airfx) system in that it supplies air to both sides of the cylinder. One switch lifts the bike by supplying air to the bottom of the cylinder (oriented in the vertical position) and the other switch provides the rebound control because it presses the bike back down by supplying air to the top of the cylinder. This creates positive pressure on both sides only the cylinder. I can adjust the rebound while riding depending on the road conditions.

The tricky system raises the bike by providing air to the front of the cylinder (because it is oriented in the horizontal position). It does have rebound control, but it in not adjustable on the fly. It is a "set it and forget it" type of set up. It is adjusted by bleeder valve located on the cylinder itself. By controlling how fast the air in the unpressurized side of the cylinder enters and exits that chamber, it controls the rebound.

I looked at the PCS kits as well and decided to go with the Tricky system for a few different reasons:

1. Warranty: tricky is lifetime on the cylinder and it's rebuildable. PCS is 1 year if I remember correctly.

2. Space: my platinum air system has a larger compressor and a separate full set of 4 valves to provide and control air flow to the cylinder. It also has 2 switches that have to go somewhere. The tricky system has a smaller compressor and the valve is attached to it. It was a tight squeeze, but I was able to get it all under the seat and install the single switch in a very well hidden location.

3. Type of riding: with all due respect, the Warrior is not a sport bike. I ride my Busa very hard at times. It is not at all uncommon for me to see speeds of 160+mph. The Warrior isn't made for that kind of aggressive riding. It's got tons of torque, but it's 70-80hp isn't even close to my hayabusa's 250 plus (It's got a built motor and nitrous). For the speeds and type of riding the Warrior is capable of, the tricky system works perfectly.

A couple of notes as well. My Hayabusa is stretched 16in over stock and has a 310 rear tire. It is lowered front and rear, and used a jack shaft set up for the chain drive. So from a tire size perspective its similar to what you are doing, but that's not really that important. What is important is the stretch. If you are not extensively extending the swingarm (thereby increasing the force of the lever arm) then the tricky system will be perfect for you. At 16 over, the swingarm works like a breaker bar and applies much more force on the cylinder. For every action....there's a reaction, and so the same force is applied in the other direction creating a wicked bounce without that positive pressure on both sides of the cylinder. You will not have that problem.

I've also wired and plumbed my Hayabusa platinum air system for instant up using a 1lb nitrous bottle, a pressure switch, and a relay; and setup the tricky air system on the warrior with a remote control (not trickys expensive one!), so if you need any help let me know.

I'm sure I have confused someone (because I often confuse myself), so if you have any questions just ask away and I'll do the best I can to answer.

Again...hope this helps.

Thanks,
Maurice

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts