RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and picked up my good calipers, the nut's hexwidth measures ~35.74 at the open end, and ~35.82mm at the closed (back) end, so ithasa little flare. Thickness is ~12.1mm. The side of the nut that faces thepulley is bored out to ~30.80mm diameter Yes, I tossed my old calipers.

I bought a 36mm socket at a local auto parts store and it fits fine. In the light of day Inotice my 28-32mm socket set has six-point flats that actualy are not flat, but they bulge in the middle a little. I've had them for so long I don't even remember where/why I bought them but I sort think maybeit was either for a GM front end, or for some imported crane repair someplace in the last 25 years. Anyway they are useless too.

My streak these last months of screwing up my posts seems to be continuing. There's no excuse for it. I've correced the 35mm below to the 36mm I knew it was from the prior topic. I see I also posted this in the wrong General forum. I still seem tobe doing fine with respect to completing my work, butcommunicatingdetails on this forum seems to be a bit of a challenge these days. I'll take the appropriate steps, including slowing down and trying to finish one task at a time, and stopsqueezing things in timeslots between other stuff. Plus,Ido fine when Ijust jump in, so I'll stop asking questions to get ready in advance.It'll be fine.

corrected as above: I picked up the OEM pulley fastener set from the dealer.The 36mm nut won't fit my 36mm socketand its loose in 1-7/16". The nut flat-to-flatmeasures just over 36mm with my old calipers which Idon't trust too much. AnywayI'm headed to the tool storetomorrow before the game starts to test-fitthe nut ina few sockets.I'm betting it fits because several members said they had a nice tight fit with good quality 36mm sockets. Mine are not cheap, but there's another possibility. Its been a long long time but I think I might have bought my 32-38mm socket set to fit GM front end parts, and I recall something about a difference. Next Tuesday I'll have my good calipers back and will see what's up by measuring, too. But rather than wait, if I can find a socket to fit, I'd rather drop the $30 than screw around with it.

From the Star parts website at: http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/parts/home.aspx

5PX-17651-00-00
PULLEY, BELT

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1283967/add.aspx

90179-22004-00
NUT

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1283968/add.aspx

90215-30233-00
WASHER, LOCK

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/accessories/addwishlistpart/1283969/add.aspx

I'm installing this:
BILLET DRIVE PULLEY CASE SET - Smooth
STR-5PX27-82-01

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
another bit more knowledge [thanks AZ] - I personally appreciate learning about the warrior this way - the info is always great, but it's the schematic from the manual alongside even the smallest 'heads up' that adds so much more - and it's no small effort to put his together each time - Az's not alone in doing this.. so thanks guys....and i'd like to say i'll be going the extra mile like this whenmy turncomes - it's what makes this family great!

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
I really tried to bite my tongue on this one and just couldn’t resist
... or maybe this is a set-up
.. oh well ..

Don't take this response personally.... just remember, what goes around comes around so maybe someday you'll be able to repay the favor

My response is in Blue

Arizona Warrior said:
I don't have my good calipers at home so I willcorrectand/or add-to this post when I know more.In the meantime just a heads-up.

I picked up the OEM pulley fastener set from the dealer.The 35mm nut won't fit my 35mm socketand its loose in 36mm. The nut flat-to-flatmeasures just over 35mm with my old calipers which Idon't trust too much. AnywayI'm headed to the tool storetomorrow before the game starts to test-fitthe nut ina few sockets.I'm betting it fits because several members said they had a nice tight fit with good quality 35mm sockets.

[*]I don’t know what Groupies are feeding you this info but we have another Myth in the making.

[*]Everything i've ever read on this site regarding the tool of choice for the '02-05' frt pulley nut has been a 6 pt M36 impact soc until today and that's what i have in my tool box.[/list]
[*]BTW, would you mind increasing the Font size on a couple of yourjpegs. I have a 21" wide screen monitor that i run 1680 x 1050 resolution, for multi-tasking,and am having difficulty reading the script.
[*]The photos are excellent if you lose the framing.[/list]

Mine are not cheap, but there's another possibility. Its been a long long time but I think I might have bought my 35mm socket to fit GM front end parts, and I recall something about a difference. Next Tuesday I'll have my good calipers back and will see what's up by measuring, too. But rather than wait, if I can find a socket to fit, I'd rather drop the $30 than screw around with it.

FYI, the OfficialYamaha Motors Parts Fiche doesn't appear to display Superceding PN's on the pages that i have visited recently

Here's an example of MSSS.com

80 WASHER, LOCK 90215-26241-00 (replaces 90215-30233-00) 1 $6.77

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Since we are into lock washers, How about this? Placing 2 lock washers on the pulley shaft at 180 degrees opposite of each other? That would give you 4 locking tangs. Any opinions? Just a thought.

·
Administrator
29,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Alan, I knew what I meant but my brain seems to have failed me
see corrections above, and take this one opportunity to not ridicule me for my string of errors. I measured them about an hour earlier and my wake-up call is that I still typed it wrong.

Feel free to copy the pics from the post and reframe them to suit your tastes, its fine by me.I like the way they look.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
jabo said:
Since we are into lock washers, How about this? Placing 2 lock washers on the pulley shaft at 180 degrees opposite of each other? That would give you 4 locking tangs. Any opinions? Just a thought.
jabo .... that's the last thing in the world you want to do.

The integrity of themiddle shaft (MS)& pully assy relies on the close fit betwen the splines of the MS & pulley as well as the PROPERapplied torque to the pulley nut. The '02-05' tab washer acts as a cotter pin w/o weakening the MS and ismaintenance friendly. The purpose is forsafety, of course.

If you review the frt pulley nut and MS, you'll note that they are nearly flush when assembled as in the photo below. Adding anything else between the current parts compromises the integrity such as the Yami naked pulley adapter plate.

IMO, over a period of time, the softer mat'l begins to extrude from the torque & kinetic energy applied to the rotating parts. The solution is increasing the factory manual specified torque > (greater than) 72 lb~ft as discussed in the pastin the tech forum... thread lock is nothing more than a band-aid for worn parts! The design of the machined nut and thinthreadscause the nut to flex and lock the assembly, IMO.

The Baron design doesn'tdisplace the MS as it mounts behind the pulley and is not sandwiched as is the Yami.

There have been many reportedfailures with the Yami methodology. Here's an example:http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26783/286675.aspx#286675 & http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26783/386425.aspx#386425

1 - 6 of 6 Posts