RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer says I should break the bike in for 600 miles before adding the 240 tire & swingarm. He says adding them first will put strain on the bike during break in. Any input? Thanks. Ruckus

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Ruckus said:
My dealer says I should break the bike in for 600 miles before adding the 240 tire & swingarm. He says adding them first will put strain on the bike during break in. Any input? Thanks. Ruckus
What? Where is my broom? Shenanigans!! Shenanigans!!!!!

Seriously. It should not make a difference to the break-in process.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do believe that a 240 kit does put some extra strain on the engine, but I'm not sure if it's enough to interfere with proper break in. I'm sure someone will reply with the correct answer. But congrata on the new bike and plans for a 240:)

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,718 Posts
That's just stupid. Sorry, but it is. Your motor is going to break-in in about the first 20 miles. Modern motors do that. New cars don't even get a break-in oil change anymore, its 6,000 miles to the first one in our new car. I wonder how many guys have ridden it home and made the swap, or had the dealer do it. Plenty I think. Ruckus you should have raised one (a ruckus)! Freaking ignorant dealer salespeople scumbag cager wanna-be's. A modified 240/260 swingarm, Metz tire, and rim add what,25# to the bike over oem (the aftermarket steel swingarms are heavier of course). There's greater than a 25# spread on different people buying Warriors. Do they make big guys like me go on a diet before breaking it in? Oh, don't pack a bag until after 600 miles? Rgggh. OK I'm all vented now - selfishdealers drive me nuts.

The difference between a 240 and 260 tire is 1/4 pound - extrapolate to 200mm its 3/4 pound between 200 and 260. Call it a pound. Call it two pounds in case the other brand is twice as heavy.

Here's some weights for tires, and dimensions 200mm to 260mm:

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26626/384558.aspx#384558

There's also posts on swing-arm weight and Cosman wheel weight but you'll have to search it out here. Aluminum doesn't weigh much so you can take it from there.

Ruckus said:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ummm yeah,

Proper break in should cause no strain on the motor. I recommend you lift the bike off the floor using this $500 floor jack provided by Yamaha. Then, spin your rear tire by hand until you hit about 150 miles.

See, you dont want to strain it so whatever you do, DO NOT TWIST THAT RIGHT GRIP. Especially if you are sitting on the bike.

Good luck.

lol

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,718 Posts

BJMartin said:
Ummm yeah,

Proper break in should cause no strain on the motor. I recommend you lift the bike off the floor using this $500 floor jack provided by Yamaha. Then, spin your rear tire by hand until you hit about 150 miles.

See, you dont want to strain it so whatever you do, DO NOT TWIST THAT RIGHT GRIP. Especially if you are sitting on the bike.

Good luck.

lol

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
i waited about 250 miles to have the dealer put on my stage 4 kit, so i had a margin just in case the bike did something wierd and we did not know what might have caused it. the dealer considered the bike fully under warranty with the stage 4 kit, since i spend allot of my day trouble shooting i just like to start with a stable system before i change anything. then a few hundred miles later the dealer installed my 280 rear, then the f200 ront end a few thousand miles more, because it took that long to find all the parts (note, some custom parts makers are lying sacks of $hit).

as for the breakin thing, that is bull, but from a "what might be the problem side, not a bad idea to know everything is good before you change something.

my dealers shop manger (dave at michaels power sports in reno) has taken great care of me every step of the way. they have put on every part that i did not have time to put on and taken alot of pride in their work. i only mention that because if you have a good shop manager that takes care of you, that is a good thing. they are good friends to have. i do try to live with his recommendations, like once he reminded me to refill the nitrous tank when i brought the bike in so he could "check somethings out" if they buy in to what you are doing, life will be better when (if) things go wrong

btw, it would have taken less time to do the few hundred miles then to write this answer, so ride this weekend, put on the miles, and then put on the fat a$$ next weekend.

welcome to the club (s)

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
You need to strain the engine to seat the rings. Do at least 10 full throttlepulls in 2nd or 3rd gear from 2K to 4K letting it decell in gear between pulls Then drive it easy for 5 minutes to let it cool.

Using your dealers philosophy I would not be able to take my dog for aride in my new truck because it would strain the engine. Total BS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts