RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has had this talk before..but i was putting my rear wheel back on and had the seat off and noticed the little white sticker on the rear fender telling you what kind oil and such info to use..and on my sticker it says to use 91 octane....does everyones bike say this?

·
Registered
576 Posts
yeah, I use 89 and have never incountered a problem. I think that after all the gossip about octane levels in low compresion motors, I'm pretty safe running the mid-grade.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the same question? What is the highest compression we can run on say 93-94 octane that is readily available??? I saw in a motor Trend many of the cars run 11/12 or 13 to 1 on premium unleaded. What is the highest we can run in our Warriors on premium pump gas. I just don't want to plan all my rides based on were the racing gas is located but I would if it meant another 20 horses.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
do a search, this was covered about a month. most members run regular unleaded in their warriors till they do extensive engine mods then run premium.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I keep 91 (lowest available here in CA, I wish it were 93 like the rest of the country), 100 in my Supra, 87 in my Sequoia.

Brian

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The sticker say REASEARCH OCTANE 91, you only need to run a quality 87. The compression is not high enough to gain any benefit from anything higher than that. If check your mileage you should not even register a difference between 87 and 93. The only real benefit to the higher octane stuff is they usually have detergents in them which help out the Fuel Injectors. I run about 1 tank in 6 of the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
if the compression ratio was 10/1 id say ya, run 93 octane but its only 8/1 so 87 is fine. one day at sears pt. i asked for some green gas (115 octane) & one of the track guys said unless your running 15/1 forget about it. at $8 a gallon i believed him

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Gas schmasss, mine will run on liquer - wait, that's me. I've noticed that on a long ride, the higher octane give a tad better mileage. There is only a few cents difference in price since it's a 4 gallon tank. As far as that mid-grade stuff, i don't trust it, i've heard of it causing damage to some car motors. Baby always gets the good stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
93 is harder to burn then 87 thats why a turbo needs it.you can burn all your gas before you run out of spark."spark knock".87 burns faster.93 burns slower.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine runs fine on 87. With the compression ratio so low, that's all you need. Now go putting in high compression pistons, then you'll need premium. With the auto decompression to ease the starting and some decent pump gas I bet you could run over 11:1 compression no problem. My friend runs the older 11.25 to 1 S&S pistons in his FXR, sounds awesome and runs great on pump gas. Just eats starters on a regular basis, that's all.....

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ribtip

93 is harder to burn then 87 thats why a turbo needs it.you can burn all your gas before you run out of spark."spark knock".87 burns faster.93 burns slower.

Anything utilizing forced induction requires higher octane to prevent knocking, pre-ignition, and so you can keep your timing advanced. Most modern cars that are turbocharged (or whatever form of FI) use knock sensors, and when it senses knock, it pulls timing like it's going out of style.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts