RS Warrior Forum banner

Question about Warriors and ground clearance.

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Heftysmurf 
#1 ·
Hi all, new here from IL. I'll try not to make this a typical "what bike is right for me" post. I'm outgrowing my starter bike. ( a 1980 honda cx500) I want a used cruiser. Reading online some say clearance is an issue and the Warrior is one of the better cruisers in terms of lean angle and not scrapping. I'm wondering if this is true. If so, also wondering if that varies from year to year with the Warrior.

More generally, looking for thoughts if I even need to worry about this. I'm not an aggressive driver. I've yet the scrape the old CX. But when spending 4-5 grand i don't want to buy something and later have an issue as I change riding styles..potentially.

It's not my only draw to the bike. I love the looks and the claim of the best of both worlds from cruiser and sport bike is appealing. So many nice bikes out there, something like this might really tip me one way or the other.

Thanks for any thoughts.

#4 ·
Hi all, new here from IL. I'll try not to make this a typical "what bike is right for me" post. I'm outgrowing my starter bike. ( a 1980 honda cx500) I want a used cruiser. Reading online some say clearance is an issue and the Warrior is one of the better cruisers in terms of lean angle and not scrapping. I'm wondering if this is true. If so, also wondering if that varies from year to year with the Warrior.

More generally, looking for thoughts if I even need to worry about this. I'm not an aggressive driver. I've yet the scrape the old CX. But when spending 4-5 grand i don't want to buy something and later have an issue as I change riding styles..potentially.

It's not my only draw to the bike. I love the looks and the claim of the best of both worlds from cruiser and sport bike is appealing. So many nice bikes out there, something like this might really tip me one way or the other.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Hey welcome to the site. Coming from Australia I have a few things to look at mainly because the water runs down the plug hole different to you up there. Seriously though I find it depends on whether you have a low profile rear tyre or not will determine how much lean you get. My rear is low profile and I normally don’t have a problem with scraping pegs. The thing to remember it’s a cruiser and not a sport bike ( except for front suspension). You can’t go wrong with a Warrior. In the US the Warrior ran longer than it did here so anything from 06 forward would be the way to go.

#7 ·
Stupid question time...why are they lowered? Is it just the look? Comfort of the ergonomics? Weight handling?
I think most lower them for the looks. Which I might add is why I added adjustable lowering links to mine. But some who are vertically challenged add it for better handling while stopped. If I could do it over again from the start I’d go with an TAR which is air ride. Which I may do in the future. But next major upgrade is a fat tire in the back I think. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
As a former CX owner i can tell you that the riding style is really different.. but you'll get used to it soon enough..
What you'll mainly notice though is the HUGE upgrade in performance all around! (exept range) that includes cornering..
And yea.. the pegs will scrape from time to time.. but IMO that's just to tell you "you're reaching the limit , don't push much further or other parts are going t get damaged"

#9 ·
02's and 03's have higher pegs that allow more lean before scraping and taller forks that raise the front end a bit that also allows a bit more clearance.

If you lower the bike you will scrape sooner but you still have plenty of lean to go.
It's the pipes that give the most scraping issues.
Most 2-1's have good clearance. Some 2-2's have ok clearance.

Some lower for comfort of being able to set both feet on the ground when stopped or maneuvering the bike around. Others do it for looks.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

#10 ·
02's and 03's have higher pegs that allow more lean before scraping and taller forks that raise the front end a bit that also allows a bit more clearance.

If you lower the bike you will scrape sooner but you still have plenty of lean to go.
It's the pipes that give the most scraping issues.
Most 2-1's have good clearance. Some 2-2's have ok clearance.

Some lower for comfort of being able to set both feet on the ground when stopped or maneuvering the bike around. Others do it for looks.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)
Even though I have enough drama at present with my old girl 05. I always wished the footpegs were a tad higher. I don’t have access to a workshop so I have to rely on other ways to get stuff for her.

#12 ·
I traded for my Warrior and it came lowered. Since my other bikes were a Suzuki DR650 and Buell XB-12S, I really notice the ground clearance issue. I was scrapping my pegs and frame pretty regularly, usually even at pretty low speeds. I finally switched to some stock dog bones which raised the height and am super pleased with it. I don't scrap my pegs very often anymore. I also sold my Buell & DR, so I have gotten a little more use to my Warrior. But it definitely has decent clearance for a cruiser. Just don't think you have a sportsbike and you will be fine.

Actually, the biggest issue I have with my Warrior is the seating position with the feet forward. I have always had a problem with cruisers and weight on my tailbone. I try them every 5 to 6 years and get reminded about the seating position. The stock seat sucks and I am reworking a second stock seat to see what I can do. It is much better, but not great. I'm going to play around with a few more options before I abandon cruiser all together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.