RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question:
I sanded down all my parts with 220 dry that I'm going to paint.
I've heard that doing that is equal to 400-500 wet. Is that true, or should
I hit those parts lightly again with 500 wet before painting?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
It depends on how extensive a paint job you're going to do and what kind of paint you're going to use. 220 would be all right for a 1st primer coat since you want it to stick. But I would gradually work my way down to a 600 wet before my 1st coat of clear and then maybe even a 1000 before my last coat of clear and then 1500 before the rub-down.
If you're just going to give it 1 coat of rattle can you could start with the 220 but I'd still hit it with 600 before you start applying paint. In other words no, I don't think it is fine enough before a final coat.
Do a search, there are a lot of painters here with lots of info on it. Check out 1256day, he is a wonderful "rattlecan painter"!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've done a few rattle can jobs and would recommend spraying on as much as possible of each coat, spraying with a can, doesn't lay anywhere near as much paint as a pro job, so you need to build up the thickness.
Regarding rubbing down, I always use the much finer grades, plenty if paint and lots of rubbing pays off and you will get good results!
Patients is a virtue, as they say.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I've done a few rattle can jobs and would recommend spraying on as much as possible of each coat, spraying with a can, doesn't lay anywhere near as much paint as a pro job, so you need to build up the thickness.
Regarding rubbing down, I always use the much finer grades, plenty if paint and lots of rubbing pays off and you will get good results!
Patients is a virtue, as they say.
That's a rattle can? Got a good spit-shine there bro!

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
220 git is base body work grit , you need to prime or see if there is enuff material to still sand the parts with 400-600 grit . if all 220 scratches are completely gone then you could paint over the 400-600 scratches.220 scratches will show thru many layers of paint! and i mean many layers! plasti dip or spay can bedliner would like to be on top of 220 scratches.and just so you know 220 wet or 220 dry is still 220 scratches,so no its not finer like 400-500 scratches! wet or dry. btk572

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Docker that looks great! You win, that is the nicest one I've seen.

G
Thanks Garrett, that's a very nice comment coming from The Rattleman himself;)

I was all done with Simoniz 500ml cans, grey primer, gloss black, silver alloy wheel spray and clear lacquer, each layer was smoothed with 400 to 2500 grit for the final rub, then polished and finished off with a coat of resin hardner.

I think it was all worth the effort PLUS I have arms like Popeye now lol :p

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
Thanks Garrett, that's a very nice comment coming from The Rattleman himself;)

I was all done with Simoniz 500ml cans, grey primer, gloss black, silver alloy wheel spray and clear lacquer, each layer was smoothed with 400 to 2500 grit for the final rub, then polished and finished off with a coat of resin hardner.

I think it was all worth the effort PLUS I have arms like Popeye now lol :p
so its actually spray can base coats with good 2 part polyurathane over it sprayed out of a gun? right ? that's way different then a total rattle can buzz bomb paint job don't you think? that's like brush painting a whole bike then gun spraying 10 coats of clear over it and then sanding smooth and buffing it out ,then saying check out my brush painted bike parts. lol btk572

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
so its actually spray can base coats with good 2 part polyurathane over it sprayed out of a gun? right ? that's way different then a total rattle can buzz bomb paint job don't you think? that's like brush painting a whole bike then gun spraying 10 coats of clear over it and then sanding smooth and buffing it out ,then saying check out my brush painted bike parts. lol btk572
Nope......Never mentioned a gun!!
Primer, black, silver, clear coat, all done with rattles!
And all rubbed down by hand and polished by hand!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
you said a coat of resin hardener , right ? did you mix it in the clear or just a coat of hardener by itself ? ????? btk572
Here is what I used, didn't have any of the silver left.
The polish and the resin are bottled, the final resin 'coat' as I called it, is applied with a soft cloth and leaves a hardened protective film over the paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The polish and the resin are bottled, the final resin 'coat' as I called it, is applied with a soft cloth and leaves a hardened protective film over the paint.
Be careful with fuel spillages on the tank Alan, that Acrylic lacquer will just dissolve.
The Auto Glym will wash off with petrol too.

I think you get 2K lacquer in a spray tin now (fuel resistant). I have never used rattlecans except for 'Weld to Weld Through' zinc primer.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Be careful with fuel spillages on the tank Alan, that Acrylic lacquer will just dissolve.
The Auto Glym will wash off with petrol too.

I think you get 2K lacquer in a spray tin now (fuel resistant). I have never used rattlecans except for 'Weld to Weld Through' zinc primer.
Cheers Gav, I'm always pretty careful putting fuel in, although I once spilled diesel all over it when I realised and panicked, non went in the tank though haha.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Now that's a new one to me, how did you do this?:confused:
See above ^ Resin Polish.
This is applied in single strokes of the cloth, not rubbed in! and is left for half hour, then you buff it off, it doesn't last for ever but is very easy to apply.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just want to say thanks. Hit all parts with 500 wet before painting. It's the first time I ever shot clear and considering I shot everything outside, no garage or anything, they came out pretty darn good. I picked up some good 1500-2000 and 2500. That should take care of the debris that floated into the paint. In order to paint, I had to dig out my big ol 60 gallon compressor, and wouldn't you know it, that was leaking on the bottom of the tank. I had to borrow my friends welder to fix that before I could even move on. Man what a pia today was!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Somehow I missed this post... I've never seen any of these products nor have I tried painting with acrylic spray. Interesting, I'd like to try it.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts