RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
30,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The only wires I can find locally on-the-reel are not what I want, so another change of plan. Besides, I've learned enough to know its impossible for me to make-up my own cables considering the cables I'm interested in getting. I don't have the right tools.

My set-up is Woody's VBAK, Akitadog VBAK plate, Dynatek DC2-1 coils, and NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 plugs.

I'm wondering if anyone hasexperience with these 8mm Magnecor Electrosports 80 ingition cables?

Also, I hope you'll chime-in about what you did for spark plug wires, what lengths, and things like:

Should all 4 cables havestraight plug ends, or 45-dgeree ends?

Should all 4 cables have 90-degree coil ends or 45-degree coil ends?

Should three cables have 90-degree coil ends and one (the shortest) have 45-degree coil end?

How much extra cable length is good for lifting the Akitadog plate for maintenance underneath?

The cable specs are excellent. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Reference:

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/sportbikes/coils/

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I run Taylor wires with straight plug boots.

You will need the small screw on caps for the spark plugs.

Wires: Get a universal set, they come with male & hei style distributor ends & boots. This link is for black wires other colors are available

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TAY%2D73055&N=700+400235+115&autoview=sku

You also need a good plug wire tool, This one will last a lifetime:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D900033&N=700+115&autoview=sku

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Thanks Woody for the info. Mike, I was thinking to order this kit:

Mallory Pro Sidewinder Spark Plug Wire Sets

* Low 300 Ohm resistance spiral core delivers high energy output for maximum spark at the plug
* Great RFI suppression meets the demands of today's on-board electronics, such as electronic ignition, sound systems, and computer controls
* 8mm ozone-resistant red silicone jacket repels water, oil, grease, and fuel, and withstands temperatures up to 500 degrees

I will use 4 now and have 4 more as spare, later on... Guys, let me know if you recommend this kit. Do you know if the pictured 90degree rubbers will fit nicelly over the Dyna coils? I think the 45degrees are identical in size with the original stock cable plugs.

·
Registered
370 Posts

I made my own wires using boots and clips and silicone wire from NAPA. Grand total of $24. You can't see them from the pic, but I did use the stock spark plug boot and put the same size boot as pictured over the top. The stock ones have a screw in post and the silicone wire wouldn't hold tight for some reason so I took a metal plug connector and crimped the ends tight and screwed them on then slid the extra rubber boot over the top of it. I didn't need the zip ties to hold these on but they were too loose for my taste so I used them. I plan on modifying a side bracket for both coils next spring but for the last few weeks of riding that I had this year, I put them underneath the neck using a stretched coil bracket that Bucky gave me.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Mike, Woody is right. We can use the 45degrees on the spark plugs and straights on coils:

I'm glad I ordered also the cheap DW800 kit so I can use the straight rubbers on coils.

imevh2, nice setup there!

I'm happy that the coils are not really brown so the red cables will match great with them...

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
Woody, you said you are running straight boots on the plug end. Are you also running straight boots onthe coilend?

Yes.

If your using 8mm wires use a razor blade & carefully trim the silicone jacket off from the coil end so the wires will fit into the coils. The coils are designed for 7mm wires.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Found a pic

·
Administrator
30,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that's what I want to do, perfect! We're going for the last ride of the season tomorrow (Saturday) and with the job change I am beginning to have some free time (which candidly seems odd) and the wifey and I were talking tonight about storing the other two bikes and some of the woodworking tools/stands in a storage space for a few weeks to make room to spew parts all over the garage floor. Sounds sorta cool.

I apprediate this help. I'll check NGK for factory screw-on plug tipsto convert these to standard automotive

plug wire end-connectors (like below). Thanks for that heads-up too.

Churchkey said:
Found a pic

-------------------------------

Imevh2 - thanks for yourpic on this too. I'm moving the coils undertankbut that's the general idea. I like Woody's suggestion for getting the little screw-on tips for the spark plugs instead of hard-crimping. Of course I might be misunderstanding what you're suggesting (in which case 'never mind!').

imevh2 said:
I made my own wires using boots and clips and silicone wire from NAPA. Grand total of $24. You can't see them from the pic, but I did use the stock spark plug boot and put the same size boot as pictured over the top. The stock ones have a screw in post and the silicone wire wouldn't hold tight for some reason so I took a metal plug connector and crimped the ends tight and screwed them on then slid the extra rubber boot over the top of it. I didn't need the zip ties to hold these on but they were too loose for my taste so I used them. I plan on modifying a side bracket for both coils next spring but for the last few weeks of riding that I had this year, I put them underneath the neck using a stretched coil bracket that Bucky gave me.

·
Registered
370 Posts

This is where I was talking about. If you pull the littlerubber boot up, the wire threads onto a brass stud coming out of the spark plug boot but if you use silicone wire it doesn't want to thread on there very good. I reused the little boots and put these on the end of the wire.......

Then the ends that are open I carefully folded over and made it tight enough that they would thread perfectly over the brass thread and go down inside the spark plug boot and pulled the little rubber boots back down over and they looked like they did stock. Plus they were bulletproof. With the metal clips threaded onto the spark plug boot they wouldn't budge even if you pulled hard.

Hope this gives you some more insight, I'm not always the greatest at 'splainin.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Woody, thanks for letting me know about the 7MM wire issue. Should I stick with 7MM or 8MM? If I get a good cable, I don't think it will matter, for the increased cable resistance... it should be minimal. I will check the specs for 2 quality cables, 7MM and 8MM and post the results here.

EDIT: So far I could not find any 7MM with 45 degrees boots. That answers my questions, heh.
Do you guys know if the Warrior stock cables are 8MM? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
TECK said:
Woody, thanks for letting me know about the 7MM wire issue. Should I stick with 7MM or 8MM? If I get a good cable, I don't think it will matter, for the increased cable resistance... it should be minimal. I will check the specs for 2 quality cables, 7MM and 8MM and post the results here.

EDIT: So far I could not find any 8MM with 45 degrees boots. That answers my questions, heh.
Do you guys know if the Warrior stock cables are 8MM? Thanks.

Don't know why you want 45* boots as straight boots work just fine, check the pic I posted.

Suggest thecircle file for the stock screw on plug ends they have a resistor in them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Stock wires are 7mm but you can use 8 with little or no mod needed. Actually 8 seemed to work a little better. Was tighter to get the boots over, but snugged up nicer.

+1 on the straight boot

·
Administrator
30,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should have askedDynatek and I didn't. Yes their website says 7mm to 8.8mmbut its likely that's not every coil accepts that range, but rather some coils accept 7mm, others 8mm, still others 8.8mm.I'd guess that when Woody says the DC2-1 takes 7mm but 8mm fits with a trim, that's how it is.
From their website:
Dynatek Coils
These high tech, top quality coils are designed for maximum performance. They produce spark voltages in excess of 30,000 volts and spark energies second to none. DYNA Coils are made to replace stock coils. Choose from three configurations and five variations of resistance for different applications. DYNA Coils work with point ignitions, aftermarket electronic ignitions and factory electronic ignitions. Before selecting a coil, check the coil primary resistance requirements as specified by the manufacturer of the ignition being used.

FEATURES & BENEFITS:

[*]No exposed laminations to rust and degrade performance.
[*]High voltage and primary terminals machined from brass.
[*]Ultrasonically welded and sealed against moisture.
[*]Compact size fits easily under stock covers.
[*]Peak gap current in excess of 50mA.
[*]High impact thermoplastic housing.
[*]Over 40,000 volts per output.
[*]Accepts 7 to 8.8mm wires.
[*]1 year warranty. [/list]

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
Woody........not to muddy the waters .....

Mounting the Dynatek coil on the No. 1 Cyl of the V-BAK Coil Relocation Platelooks to bea challenge with the secondary wiring ?

Here's what No. 1looks like underneath with the V-BAKon my ride with the stock coil secondary wires facingrearward:
http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602604625531/detail/Check Photos: DSCN2997-3001

·
Registered
370 Posts
Purely an unasked for opinion here, but if you have the capability of making your own plate, then I would redesign one that works with the dynacoils.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
AlanH said:

Mounting the Dynatek coil on the No. 1 Cyl of the V-BAK Coil Relocation Platelooks to bea challenge with the secondary wiring ?

Here's what No. 1looks like underneath with the V-BAKon my ride with the stock coil secondary wires facingrearward:
http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157602604625531/detail/Check Photos: DSCN2997-3001

Correct!

My dyna coils are mounted in the stock location.

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
AlanH said:

Well ....here's a member that has recently done the mod with the same components so it must be possible: 06_warrior

Dyna coils- WOW!! http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/119782/969966.aspx#969966

1 - 20 of 20 Posts