RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked my plugs today and found it to be odd. One half of theinsulator is a light tan, the other side is white. It looks like it was perfectly devided; one side tan, the other white. What's up with that?

I have V&H big shots and the V&H fuel pack. This is what V&H has to say:
Frequently asked questions:
3. I Checked My Plugs And They Seem White
Modern fuel injected engines with high energy ignition systems run a more consistent air fuel ratio and the plugs will look "leaner" than on a carbureted engine. This is normal and is nothing to be alarmed about.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Do you mean that 2 of the plugs are white and 2 are tan or do you mean that each plug is half and half?

If 2 plugs are white and 2 are tan, look into doing and ECU bump, search for it here, will tell ya everything.

If it each plug is half and half, that is different, never heard of it before.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, half and half. Take one plug out, and one side is tan, the other is white. (like looking at a half moon) I've already got a V&H fuel pack, so I do not need to bump the ECU.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, probably this afternoon. I'm fixing to out with the mrs's. for a bite to eat.

·
Administrator
29,677 Posts
You are interested in the shape of theparts (square and not worn or elongated) and you are interested that no oil or crust fouling exists. They look good, maybe a tad sooty (rich). The darkness on one side has to do with the natural combustion gases based on the shape of the cylinder and the angle of the fuel being injected.

Helpful charts from popmods:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqread2.asp

Normal Condition
An engine's condition can be judged by the appearance of the spark plug's firing end. If the firing end of a spark plug is brown or light gray, the condition can be judged to be good and the spark plug is functioning optimally.

Also from popmods: http://www.usaimports.co.uk/Mopar_Tech_Pages/Spark_Plug_Reading.htmteaches how to judge things like ignition timing from plug visual condition, although its difficult (not impossible) to alter the Warrior's timing. But it shows that your plug condition is very good although I can't reach far enough from here to check the gaps!

BTW did you ID each plug on removal for what jug it came out of? If one had a problem then you'd know which jug to fix.

Anyway, you can try to lean it out a hair but usually a drastic too-rich problem shows with plugs being completely darkened so I'd maybe leave it as it is for now and read them again down the road. Maybe someone else has another opinion!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I replaced mine at 8600miles just because the manual says and to be in the safe side....

for a bike that was "garage kept", this guy cleaned the bike way too much! the spark plugs got rusty.... because of the position of the spark plugs in the engine, if you hose down this bike.... the spark plugs holes will keep water there... be sure to dry it properly...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Not to thread jack, but since your all on the topic of plugs, what brand do you guys recommend? Ill be replacing mine in the next week or 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts