RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a few Warriors a little bit closer to home and want to make sure I ask the right questions and look at the right things.

Are there any reoccurring issues I should focus on? Are there any specific questions you think I should ask when meeting the seller?

I see a pretty good local 09 Midnight for around 6500. More than I wanted to spend, a 05 regular for about 3700. Another midnight for about 4500 but it's about a 3hr drive a way to check it out.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

·
Super Moderator
7,468 Posts
These motos are bullet proof...

Look for normal stuff...

Any leaks.
Check tires
Check the steering neck for the recalls.
Ride it and make sure it goes through the gears...

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I’m reading things correctly, the neck would have some markings for the recalls? Do dealers still take care of it automatically or are there fees?

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
After that you can post up pics of the bikes so we can check them out.
These bikes are extremely stout and other than the usual things to look out for they are pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,312 Posts
In general, it seems like ‘02’s have more issues so all things equal, I’d take a different year if there are options. But like others have said, these things are bulletproof so long as they’re mildly taken care of.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I found a few Warriors a little bit closer to home and want to make sure I ask the right questions and look at the right things.

Are there any reoccurring issues I should focus on? Are there any specific questions you think I should ask when meeting the seller?

I see a pretty good local 09 Midnight for around 6500. More than I wanted to spend, a 05 regular for about 3700. Another midnight for about 4500 but it's about a 3hr drive a way to check it out.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.
you really have to do a walk around, I saw a bmw 6, in the pic it looked great. they only wanted 10k for the bike. when I checked it out, the oil looked like coal tar, the tires were bald, the grips were sticky, gummy, the seat was rough, spots of rust here and there, was never taken care of, I walked away.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
Here's some work we did years ago describing most of the differences between model years. Use it in conjunction with the information in the Recalls forum and you'll have more info than you are likely going to need in order to know which model years carry more value to you.

When buying a motorcycle, you need to know what features exist so you can look at them.

Some examples for the Warrior, many apply to bikes in general.

Make sure the steering neck is not cracked or chipped and make sure the steering lock feature works.

Cautiously check if the motor is warm so you know. There is a difference in what you hear on a cold start versus a warm start.

Check the action of the key in the switch and watch the gauges when turning the key on and off. The bike should cycle through a self-test.

Check the bike starts without dragging on the battery. With the bike motor running, check all lightning and re-check the gauges for codes or check engine lights.

When shutting the bike off, test the key switch off, and separately test the kill switch off. In both cases tune your ears to listen for rattling noises subsequent to turning it off. Do some reading here in advance about COD just so you recognize it (it's easily solved you just want to know if it exists).

Test the key in the seat lock and observe conditions under the seat.

Inspect tires for cracks and learn how to read the date codes on motorcycle tires. There is info in our Documentation forum.

Open the motor oil fill cap, which has a dip stick. Look at the oil's condition and feel for grit. Look under the bike for fresh oil drips. Ignore the oil level because there is a special routine for checking level (video in The Welcome Mat).

Just generally look if observable wiring seems okay, not cracked or frayed.

Sit on the bike and hold it upright but leave the kickstand down. Kill switch set to run. Hand off clutch. Try to start the bike. It should not start due to good kick stand safety switch. Pull in clutch and try to start bike, testing the clutch safety switch.

With the owner's permission, on level ground and with the motor off, sit upright in the saddle and center the handlebars. Then let go of the handlebars. The handlebars should remain centered. Then carefully stand straddling above the seat and test slowly turning full left and full right watching for clearance above the fuel tank and meanwhile feeling for smooth action stop-to-stop.

While straddling, slowly roll the bike forward and backward a few times, ears open and hands feeling for input from the handlebars. It should be smooth and quiet except possible minor momentary faint rubbing of brake pads against rotor.

Test for brake light illumination at foot control and at hand control. Beep the horn. Test front and rear turn signals and in general notice flash rate. Notice if front signals and rear signals and separate license plate lights exist. Notice if the front has turn signals and front running lights. Notice if turn signals are incandescent bulbs or if changed to all LED's (you just want to know).

You need to ride the bike so bring your gear and your MC license and your valid insurance. Ride it for ten minutes and see how it reacts when fully warm. When cold it should idle a bit higher for a few seconds then idle down to about 900 rpm. The tach will bounce a bit. It's a v-twin.

The bike produces big torque. Be easy on the throttle. Feather the clutch SLIGHTLY and feel the clutch grip and accelerate normally. This bike will get away from you if you don't have some sanity and focus. No fear. It's fine.

Notice if the bike pops or backfires on acceleration or on deceleration. Some is normal. It's mostly solvable. Plenty of ink around here. But it might take a few hundred dollars. Read up so you know. But most pop or backfire can be managed by monitoring your right wrist lol. Plus, the IVAN'S mod solves a lot all by itself.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll request more info once FB is back up. Two of the sellers were from that Marketplace...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the one I was mentioning.
$4500 2005 Yamaha Midnight Warrior 1700 - Fuel Injected - Power Commander 5 Fuel Management System Installed and Dyno Tuned - PCS Monster Pro Pipes 2 into 1 Wrapped - New Avon Tires - Avon Grips - Bluetooth Speakers with Toggle - Windscreen - Backrest - Demon Cycles 10" Bars - Oil, Brake Fluid, Fork Oil and Seals recently changed
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And here is one for $3700. Not the Midnight that I always wanted, but priced low. Clean title, no dents.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,312 Posts
Here is the one I was mentioning.
$4500 2005 Yamaha Midnight Warrior 1700 - Fuel Injected - Power Commander 5 Fuel Management System Installed and Dyno Tuned - PCS Monster Pro Pipes 2 into 1 Wrapped - New Avon Tires - Avon Grips - Bluetooth Speakers with Toggle - Windscreen - Backrest - Demon Cycles 10" Bars - Oil, Brake Fluid, Fork Oil and Seals recently changed View attachment 254547
View attachment 254548
View attachment 254549
View attachment 254550
I'm a huge fan of the midnight. It looks like it has a bunch of mods already done which is nice if they were done right. He's most likely got some sort of BAK (big air kit) as the coils have been relocated and under the tank is the most common location. He's also got some sort of aftermarket front fender on it. For that reason, I would start looking for drop damage, specifically with the steering stops. There should be a rigid tab on the front of the headstock that limits the swing of the front forks. Make sure that's in tact.

Also, there are no pictures of the left side or the rear. I don't see a license plate or even a mount for it so you'd want to check that.

Everything else looks pretty good from the pictures. The mods are all personal taste and you get to determine if you want to pay for those and what their value is.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,312 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
888 Posts
another thing to consider on the midnight.. the exhaust looks like a PCS pipe.. and i think those are known to have some rust issues.. which will get more likely when you wrap them

me personally .. i like the look of the blue one more.. but that's a matter of taste

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,312 Posts
Can you send me an example of what I'm looking for there?
Check this thread. It shows the problem piece, but it'll be obvious if the forks don't stop when swinging left to right as if you are steering.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts