RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I separate the top half of the air box under the tank? Is it just glued together? If I can get the top half off, I'm just simply going to slid a K&N filter on each of the stacks under the tank. Quick and Very easy BAK..... won't even have to relocate anything.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
you'd also have to put two small filters anywhere else to avoid dirt being sucked into the engine. refer to BAK instructions to see where.
if i remember correctly it was about some crankcase vent.

just sliding the two K&N is NOT enough

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just removed the entire air box. You will have to also do an AIS removal or rig some sort of inlet filter for the AIS unit. Leaving the air box half on will only cause aggravation and large amounts of cussing when it is time to do spark plugs. From experience, remove the air box totally. As for relocating the sensors and such, they can be mounted on the frame with heavy duty zip ties or spend a few bucks and buy a coil relocating plate. I believe Akitadog has them for sale. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nedreck said:
I just removed the entire air box.  You will have to also do an AIS removal or rig some sort of inlet filter for the AIS unit.  Leaving the air box half on will only cause aggravation and large amounts of cussing when it is time to do spark plugs. From experience, remove the air box totally. As for relocating the sensors and such, they can be mounted on the frame with heavy duty zip ties or spend a few bucks and buy a coil relocating plate.  I believe Akitadog has them for sale.  Hope this helps. 

Bob

AIS block off already done. I can get to my plugs fairly easy with the box there and the tank off. I've done a lot of reading on the BAK's so I know bout the crank vents. I don't have much $ so that's why I want to do it this way so I don't have to relocate anything. Gonna have to scrape to buy the filters. Just hoping someone knows if I could separate the 2 halves of the air box or if I'm gonna have to use my dremel? I do appreciate your guy's response.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
also keep in mind if you dont use velocity stacks of some sort you will not get the full effect. you will only have a BAK instead of a VBAK. beleive it or not the velocity stacks do make a difference and im not sure if you would have enough room in there for stacks and the filters.

not to poo poo your idea, I also know how it is when money is tight.

ps sorry. i dont know how the box is put together, but if you dont plan on using the box again just dremel the top off

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was kinda figuring it wouldn't be as good as a VBAK, but it's gotta be better than that "coffin" lol. Well I guess I guess the dremel it is.... I'll shave down some of the sides too just to create more space.... I'll just leave the base of the box so that it'll keep everything in place. I'll keep ya guys posted on how it goes.

·
Administrator
29,677 Posts
Don't build a bath-tub that will fill up with rainwater and drown your beast.

For the short term there are several DIY BAK's under 'Intake' in the Popular Mods post. I've seen guy use radiator hose, black plasticpipe "L" fittings for plumbing your house. Not great for long-term due to motor heat, but . . .

·
Registered
619 Posts
You can go to home depot or you local hardware store and get 45 or 90 degree street elbows and rubber fittings for them I think I paid maby $10 for both elbows and rubbers but I do not remember the size just do a search on DIY VBAK and you will find it that is how I did mine. and you can get uni filters at the locas dirtbike shop I used 2in for about $15 ea I think the elbows are 1.75 but dont quote me on it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Don't have any pictures readily available, but I can tell you this. I cut the top part of the airbox with a dremel and installed Woody's VBAK. I had 3 reasons for doing so. One was, I could not get the air temperature sensor off the box without destroying it. Two, I wanted to reattach the rubber snorkle back and use a velocity stack to create a ram air to feed cooler air into the airbox. Thirdly, I noticed that with the airbox surrounding the K&N filters, they stayed clean for a longer period and picked up less dirt and grime. I also insulated the underside of the airbox with reflective tape to deflect some of the heat from the engine during standstills.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts