Discussion Starter #1
i got a quote today to have
hc pistons
cam
springs
clutch
gaskets
and all extra labor for $1600.
does this sound resonable? i know labor was $400 of the cost and parts were all yamaha. i just didn't know if i should pay for that much labor. let me know what ya'll think
thanks chad

·
Registered
576 Posts
sounds a little high to me. Even if they rebuild the heads with new valves and what not, everything else is dissasembled anyway.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kinda waht i thought at 40 bucks am hour thats a nother ten hours doesn't sound right. sounds like they are making up time for the recall

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I misread this at first and thought they were charging you 1600 extra labor. If this is parts and labor, this doesn't seem out of line with what everybody else is charging

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was quoted the following as Yamaha list prices:

$380 - Cams
$350 - Pistons
$240 - Valves
$97 - Clutch

That adds to $1066, and he is charging about $100 in extra labor the for valves. He also mentionsed a gasket set, but his opinion was that is was not needed, and the the stock set would be fine. I pressed a little, and he agreed to 10% off, so that knocks the deal down to about $1000, give or take. Your guy sounds a little high, but I would give him a chance to come down.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
roussey, is your guy using yamaha parts are other. those prices seem high for yamaha parts. i can't remember all the prices but i know the piston kit was $280 gaskets were $90 i will have to check on others. he also gave me a rough qoute to port and polish heads of $400- $500. i will need to check on that price also. thanks to all
also my guy was installing new clutch if that matters

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The $1066 is the list price. Yami of Hamilton(upper right corner of the screen) provided a quote to me of 7% less than the list. Tell your dealer you will order the parts from another Yami dealer. When he hears that, you might save on the parts right there, if not you will save when you order them from Hamilton. Thats what happen to me, I was intending to purchase from Hamilton and my dealer said he could match the price. Since my dealer is charging only $100 for the labor for the same parts you list I went that route.

So your dealer is really charging over $500 for the labor, forget him. Shop around and let him know you are and you should get a better price. Do it fast, no telling how many speedstar components are avaliable, I ordered mine last week.

O yea, gaskets? The recall kit should come with gaskets. Yami recall knows the engine is to be disassembled and has to include all necessary gaskets. My dealer is checking on additional (if any) gaskets are needed but you don't need to buy a $75 gasket set for the Speedstar parts. Maybe a couple but not anything around $75.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The valve springs and clutch springs are the only extra labor there. Maybe a little fitting on the cams and such. If this mechanic was phenominal I would pay the $400 otherwise only $200 just to help them out.

If those are all Yamaha parts that price is WAY out of line. You can get pistons and cam SET from OE for ~$1200 and the clutch for the $97. The Yamaha cams do not come with lifters or rods. Skip at OE said the stock gasket set is fine. Patrick pistons and cam SET is a little more.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ok Guys...are we saying $1000 for Yami parts and $400 in labor is about right? Can this be done cheaper with OE parts?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My dealer called me today and said the speedstar parts came in. Those parts were ordered about six days ago and have been delivered to Mississippi. Now we are just waiting on the recall kit. I had to drive the 45 miles just to look at the parts and drool, and make sure the mechanic and I were still on the same page. We are so I am happy so far.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got quoted 1100 for the yamaha stage 4 hc piston, cam, cam spring and clutch spring, he said list was about 200 or so higher. He told me the labor would be 240. I am fine with the price becouse it seems he gave me a decent break on the parts and I know it costs alot more money for shipping to hawaii. He also sold me the bike new for just under $10,000 and let me charge it on my credit card so I dont mine him making some money on me now. I am going with the yamaha stuff becouse I hope if there is any problem in the future they will be more receptive to fixing the problem being #1 its all yamaha parts in there and #2 they installed everything. I hope I break into the 11 second 1/4 mile time now.

aloha
garett

·
Registered
364 Posts
I sat down with the owner of my dealership and went over what would be involved in the recall and changing out parts and the instructions that yamaha sent leaves the cam cover untouched the heads aren't disasembled etc.So expect extra labor charges.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like everyone else, I'm thinking about doing some performance upgrades while the engine is completely dismantled. I'm not looking for the entire Speedstar kit, just some Yamaha components. I don't want to spend the $1290 on the stacks, ECU, and injectors. That leaves:
- HC Pistons ($350)
- Valve Spring set ($240)
- Cam Set ($380)
- New Warrior 2-1-2 MegaCone Exhaust ($500)

Questions:
1 - What kind of performance improvement can I expect from the mods above? With a BAK?
2 - Rob Hughes had mentioned that stock injectors are good up to 25 to 30 hp over stock. Is this true? Can the stock injectors perform well if the stock ECU is adjusted?
3 - Can the stock ECU be adjusted adequately, or do I need the vaunted PCIII?
4 - I'd love to go with OE parts. They support this site really well, but would OE pricing through a dealer be competitive with Yamaha pricing? Yamaha would be $1460 (LIST) * 0.90, or $1314 + labor. (maybe better with some haggling.)

Gotta act quickly before the wife figures out what I'm up to...

Thanks,
Jon

1 - 20 of 32 Posts