RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a search brought up 36,678 items so I thought I'd risk another post with that title rather than wade through that lot:}

If you have done the swap to the R1 forks, I'm interested in hearing your opinion on how easy it was, what you actually had to change ie, brakes/triple clamps/wheeletc, is a new wheel required, which R1 forks lower the Warrior and by how much (I want stock height), does the Warrior fender fit any of the R1 forks, if it's actually worth it, what was the result and have you then modified/swapped the rear shock. I'm thinking a change to the 99-01 fork would be a good upgrade but am not exactly sure what I need so any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much and have a great weekend:}

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The swap itself was the easy part...the four triple clamp bolts get loosened and remove the brake hardware from the wheels...choosing the model year of forks is hard though...I went with the 99 R1 forks, as they retain the stock height. The newer forks(I think 05 and up) are shorter by .750 inch. I put an 02 R1 fender on mine( I think) and fabbed some aluminum brackets when the fender didn't quite mate up. There's some pics in my profile, or I can send some if you want. If you get the early model forks, the stock rotors, axle and calipers from the Warrior are a direct bolt on....but I went with custom wheels so I ended up using the 98 -99 calipers, 03 -04 R6 rotors and the 99 forks that I had rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics in Florida. If you need more info, Arizona Warrior has to be about the most informative and informed guy here on the whole compatibility issue, PM him and pick his brain. He helped me a bit last year! Hope this helps!

is it worth it, and the expense? Does the pope wear a tall hat and live in the vatican??

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I used 99 R1 forks and a 99 R1 fender. Everything else was standard Warrior. And yes it is worth it. The handling has improved considerably.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just picked up some 01 R1 forks for $190 so I feel a new project coming on!!

Thanks for all the info.....

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, that and all the Warrior brakes etc bolt right backon. Wheel control is better generally with this fork which sounds like a great upgrade to me. This isa good project for me to get more mechanical experience too:} I'm a little anxious about the fender clearance issue because stock R1 wheel is 17" compared to our 18'. We have gravel roads here in the Rockies so I need to check that very carefully. Wet,slick gravel roads and possible jamming the front wheel with gravel doesn't sound good:{

kickice24 said:
I take it you'll gain compression and rebound adjustments by doing this? Not just the stock preload adjustment currently.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Ooh, I'm keeping my eyes on this thread - this is a subject of high interest to me. Good Luck!

Would you mind taking photos of the progress with a general report on the steps and ease/difficulty?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The swap process is fairly easy and straightforward...there are the 8 6mm socket head bolts that clamp the upper and lower trees to loosen, you can put a couple quarters or flat washers (if you are broke!) in the gaps to hold them open whilst you support and ease the forks downwards and out. Just make sure that the brake hardeware is removed and the bike is securely supported on the jack! The forks practically dropped out after tthe bolts were loosene. Also, note where the top cap of the old forks were in relation to the top tree....it helps setting your stock height back. Gently insert the R1 fork through the lower tree and guide it it into the top, lining it up as you go. I put a small spray of WD40 on the fork to aid in sliding...didn't really need to though. Just be careful to avoid scratching the nice gold finish!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
fcwarrior said:
....I'm a little anxious about the fender clearance issue because stock R1 wheel is 17" compared to our 18'. We have gravel roads here in the Rockies so I need to check that very carefully. Wet,slick gravel roads and possible jamming the front wheel with gravel doesn't sound good:{

I was a little worried at first but I have ridden over gravel and loose surfaces and so far no problems.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
When I mounted the fender there was a slight droop at the back over the wheel...however when I made the brackets they gave enough lift to clear the tire with room to spare. No problems with rocks or gravel geting trapped so far...but then I don't really take it down unpaved roads intentionally! I think I have a couple close-up shots of them(the brackets) if you want to see, fcwarrior.

Dan

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that would be great to see:} I'm wanting to just use theR1 lowers inside the Warrior uppers so am wondering if that entails removing the seals and dust covers or if I can slide the lowers out, leaving the uppers on the bike, and then back in through those seals etc. I've temporarily lost my service manual darn it!!

SuicideD_45 said:
When I mounted the fender there was a slight droop at the back over the wheel...however when I made the brackets they gave enough lift to clear the tire with room to spare. No problems with rocks or gravel geting trapped so far...but then I don't really take it down unpaved roads intentionally! I think I have a couple close-up shots of them(the brackets) if you want to see, fcwarrior.

Dan

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
FC, I think that you'd have to unbutton the assembly at the top(fork cap) but using the R1 internals in the Warrior forks should be possible...others that have more knowledge than myself can chime in here too!! R1's use stiffer and heavier gauge springs, I think. IMHO the gold R1 forks give the front end a good look!

I looked for the pics of the brackets but seem to have deleted them. I can uncover the bike and snap a couple shots for you though and post them in my gallery.

You can also download the service manual here: http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/handbuch/warrior_service.pdf

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
SuicideD_45 said:
FC, I think that you'd have to unbutton the assembly at the top(fork cap) but using the R1 internals in the Warrior forks should be possible...others that have more knowledge than myself can chime in here too!! R1's use stiffer and heavier gauge springs, I think. IMHO the gold R1 forks give the front end a good look!

I used the R1 internals in the Warrior uppers as I wanted to retain the black look.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And I want to retain my chrome covers:} I can probably fit them over those perty gold ones but it's not my favorite job:}

Badger said:
SuicideD_45 said:

I used the R1 internals in the Warrior uppers as I wanted to retain the black look.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Got em on my bike. Make your adjustments first then glue them on with clear rtv silicone.

If you need to remove them work them up with a knife blade thenpeal off the old silicone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts