RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I did use the search bar before posting this but can't find the answers to my questions :) I have a 2006 so to my understanding the 07-08 forks will fit. The front warrior rim should fit as well as long as I swap the rotors to R1, and calipers correct? Do you reuse your trees or do you need them off a R1? Last question (for now) will the stock master cylinder be enough to properly brake the front?
Most of this information came from jbats r1 swap thread. I blew a fork seal the other day so it's a great excuse to upgrade

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
Yes I did use the search bar before posting this but can't find the answers to my questions :) I have a 2006 so to my understanding the 07-08 forks will fit. The front warrior rim should fit as well as long as I swap the rotors to R1, and calipers correct?

• That's Correct < AlanH
Do you reuse your trees or do you need them off a R1?

• Stock Warrior Trees < AlanH
Last question (for now) will the stock master cylinder be enough to properly brake the front?

• Repsol61 says Yes! < AlanH
Most of this information came from jbats r1 swap thread. I blew a fork seal the other day so it's a great excuse to upgrade
To do the 6-piston R-1 calipers, you will need to change to the late R-1 forks. The caliper bolt spacing is wider because of the larger caliper. To go with the late fork/caliper combination you will also need the coresponding R-1 rotors. I am running this set-up and am using the factory '08 Warrior master cylinder, and the combination works extremely well; almost as good as the brakes on my Repsol. I suggest that you give some thought to this set-up, the forks make a very noticable difference in the handling, and the braking will make you smile. Although the R-1 is a lighter bike, and I weigh 220# dressed to ride, the sag was very easy to set, and, once dialed in the conversion turns the Warrior into a better corner-tracking-machine.

As a side benifit, it also rides smoother.

Repsol61

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
As Alan clarified, the stock triple clamps, 18" wheel, master cylinder, and brake lines will work well with an '08 front end. Don't forget the R1 axle.

The only fitment issue comes from the fender, the stock R1 fender won't clear the Warrior wheel. If keeping the stock wheel, will have to mod your fender to fit, or go with an aftermarket R1 fender, from Puig for example.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking on ebay it's going to cost around $600. Just for comparison what would a dealer normally charge to replace the fork seals?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
$150 if you bring the forks in off the bike?

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I did the swap but i only have 150.00 in it, I just say it's not worth 600.00 unless the 6 piston brake's are with.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
madtom,

Have you tried to search on the r1 forum classifieds? Jbat had recommended it to me as he was able to score some of his r1 parts. I occasionally see complete R1 front ends for sale on there. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would the 04- 06 forks calipers and rotors bolt right up as well? Those year forks are a bit cheaper than 07-08. Honestly i think im just going to fix mine but I've got time to decide. Ill be looking on the r1 forums tonight. $600 would be total investment the rotors and calipers are cheap enough its the forks that cost a lor $400+

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
Would the 04- 06 forks calipers and rotors bolt right up as well? Those year forks are a bit cheaper than 07-08.

• Yes and you don't need the R1 calipers for those years
    • your '06' radial calipers will be fine
Honestly i think im just going to fix mine but I've got time to decide. Ill be looking on the r1 forums tonight. $600 would be total investment the rotors and calipers are cheap enough its the forks that cost a lor $400+

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
You are looking at doing an R1 fork swap just to avoid changing the seals on your forks?!?!?! That is a new one for me. LOL If you pull the forks they are at most $150 for someone to swap seals. Heck, if you lived by me I would do it for a trip to the local sandwich shop for dinner.

Like 60ft said, unless you are getting into 6-pot brakes; $600 would be pretty darn hard for me to stomach unless you are doing some pretty severe corner carving. Granted, with air ride out back; all I can say is that those R1 forks would be fish out of water in the handling department.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If $150 is all it will cost that's the logical choice but knowing my yamaha dealership its going to cost a bit more than that. Ill call them today.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
First off, I would look for a suspension shop in the area before calling the dealer. Are you going to pull the forks and just bring them in, or just bring in the bike? That will change the cost of course.

And unless you just really don't want to, why not change them yourself? The Warrior forks are super easy to service, and the tools are very minimal to do it right. You'd probably be out less than $150 to buy the tools needed and then you have them for next time. Because it is a Yamaha, there WILL be a next time. Oh and if you thought Warrior seals were something tough enough to have a dealer do, just wait till the seals go on the R1 forks. They aren't much harder but the dealer will charge quite a bit more to service them.

Maybe these people?
http://www.ccycle.com/

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I paid about that much with the forks still on the bike. It was about 150 if I pulled them. I just didn't have the time to replace them myself.
You don't live in the overpriced state of connecticut lol. Im leaning towards trying to do them myself. It could be a fun project.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Warrior forks are a breeze to replace seals on. With the correct size driver, and don't forget to buy a seal bullet; it really doesn't take long at all. Other than those two tools it can be accomplished with standard mechanics tools. You don't even "have" to have an oil level gauge. A screwdriver, ruler, and a magic marker work just as good.

$200 does seem a little excessive for just a seal swap with fresh oil. If they were going to mess with valving (which they can't anyway on the Warrior), I could see a higher price tag. Do it yourself and it will be a good learning experience.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Warrior forks are a breeze to replace seals on. With the correct size driver, and don't forget to buy a seal bullet; it really doesn't take long at all. Other than those two tools it can be accomplished with standard mechanics tools. You don't even "have" to have an oil level gauge. A screwdriver, ruler, and a magic marker work just as good.

$200 does seem a little excessive for just a seal swap with fresh oil. If they were going to mess with valving (which they can't anyway on the Warrior), I could see a higher price tag. Do it yourself and it will be a good learning experience.
Could you send me a link for the special tools ill need, what size seal bullet and driver?. I just had to spend $90 on parts to fix/upgrade my air ride so doing the seals myself is the way to go. Sorry for all the questions just don't know the specs of the forks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts