RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Tom, I replaced my fork seals a few years ago and I used Peps writeup. This really wasn't a hard job to do. I used the PVC piece he mentioned in the writeup and it worked great. Basic hand tools for the rest as I remember. This was the first time I have done fork seals, in fact it was the first time I had messed with the forks period! Pretty easy job.

Just a bit of advice, I noticed a scratch in the chrome on mine, so I used some 400 grit emery cloth to polish it out. I was surprised how soft the chrome was, and how quickly it came out. Worked great though.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok ordered all the parts (hope peps part #s are correct for a 06) and bought the driver and seal buddy. Need to hit the dealership for oil and i'm still well under the prices I was quoted. Bought the tools figuring once I do mine i'm sure local members will be sending pm's to do theirs lol

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Im having problems, are 06 forks diffrent from peps write up? I broke the bottom bolt loose but it just spins freely never comes out. Do i need to take the top of the fork off and hold something in place? Used a impact just spins

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
How does everyone take that bottom allen out without taking the top apart to hold the dampening rod?

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
^^^
Bottom-out the spring preload adjusting screw (cross your fingers) and give it a shot with the impact gun.

added: if that doesn't work reinstall the shock in the triple trees and tighten the lower pinch bolts only to hold the shock assy to loosen the spring preload and remove the top nut.
Remove from tree and take to work bench so that you can get to the dampening rod as discussed in the factory manual.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
All the parts arrived will tackle this weekend. Im concerned that the bolts are just going to spin the dampening rod and never tighten......

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just put R1 forks on my '02. Well, actually the suspension tech I entrusted the swap to, swapped my Warrior innards with the R1 innards, leaving me with a complete stock looking set-up. Yeah, I lost the "compression" adjustment, but he assured me that he re-valved it for my Warrior, and I also added progressive springs to replace my stockers with 121k miles on them. My bike rides like new, & then some. I also have an '04 rear shock set-up, witch adds another adjustment, from the '02-'03 unit. All set for my cross country trip.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
I just put R1 forks on my '02. Well, actually the suspension tech I entrusted the swap to, swapped my Warrior innards with the R1 innards, leaving me with a complete stock looking set-up. Yeah, I lost the "compression" adjustment, but he assured me that he re-valved it for my Warrior, and I also added progressive springs to replace my stockers with 121k miles on them. My bike rides like new, & then some. I also have an '04 rear shock set-up, witch adds another adjustment, from the '02-'03 unit. All set for my cross country trip.
Don't know what year R1 forks you used for your doner parts on your '02' but if done properly you should have Full Functionality of the OEM R1 suspension.

Brian aka MrWilson is the 1st member that comes to mind that wanted to maintain the Warrior black upper fork tubes (not R1 gold) and did the deed by swapping the lower fork legs and guts reusing just the uppers of the Warrior. There's a neat detailed DIY thread he posted on the www.

Happy to hear you're delighted with the out come :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Check the service manual, there's a little tool for holding it during disassembly and reassembly. You can find a workable tool in your garage someplace once you see the sketch.
Depending on the make/model of fork; sometimes it is just a spark plug socket turned around backwards on a really long extension. I know this from experience.

But if the bolt just spins, first and foremost I just compress the fork a little bit with a ratchet strap setup and call it good. That has worked almost every time a had a bolt that wanted to spin.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I got a set for a '99 - '02(maybe '01?) R1. Did my home work on buying the R1's but was surprised that my suspension guy misunderstood my request to just replace the legs, and replaced both "ends". Kept me from having to purchase an R1 fender. Looks totally stock 'cept for the blue pre-load bolts at the top of the triple tree. Cool!

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Depending on the make/model of fork; sometimes it is just a spark plug socket turned around backwards on a really long extension. I know this from experience.

But if the bolt just spins, first and foremost I just compress the fork a little bit with a ratchet strap setup and call it good. That has worked almost every time a had a bolt that wanted to spin.
This is good to know. To get the bolts out i had to have my friend push down on the fork to get the rod to stop spinning. Ill try the strap during reassembly.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Reactions: Abd9810
21 - 38 of 38 Posts