RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Im still pretty new to the Warrior scene. My 2006 is about a month old. I have searched and could not find an answer to my question from a previous post so here it is. I have seen that numerous people have changed their stock front fork tubes to R1 front fork tubes. Is there a reason for this? Is there a performance difference? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
i believe you get about 1" lower in the front(with out denting the front fender on big bumps) and will need a new r1 front fender(warrior wont work, unless modified), also believe that the front will have dampening and are very adjustable. Personally i like the way they look. But with that being said, if you are not an aggresive rider would be an expensive mod. if you are an aggresive rider, belive you will benifit by having the R1 front end.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Even if you are an aggressive rider you will only benefit so much from doing this mod. Whatever you gain in compression damping you will most likely give away in ground clearance. I looked into going to the R1's also but have since changed my mind. If you just run a little thicker weight oil in your forks you'll be just fine considering the Warrior's ability to turn. I think the R1 forks are a little overkill. But they do look really cool. JP is the man to ask all R1 fork related questions, maybe he'll chime in.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Less dive when breaking into a corner. They feel more settle over all. Once you have tried them you won't go back.
For the 06 Warrior you will need 04 & up R1 forks because of the radial break mounts.

Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
There are a couple of choices out there but going backward in years prior to 04 for R1 forks could be more pricey. Like mentioned above the performance gains (eliminating the wallowing, greater stability (settled), and quicker steering are all benefits of upgrading the suspension. Even on this bike the differences are noticable when compared to stock.
Like Frankenstein mentioned your simplest move is to go with a 04-06 radial fork set. Anything else and you'd be looking for 03 and up R6 rotors for your current wheels, and earlier monobloc calipers too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't have such a new Warrior, so I installed '03 R1 forks on my '02 (getting that 1" front end drop)with an R1 fender and R1 front wheel (can see in my gallery). The performance difference is NOTICABLE in almost all conditions. I did not notice any clearance issues but I did notice that the lower front end puts more weight up front for better turn entry and stability (where it needs to be for better handling) and the lack of front end loosness is dramatic due to superior dampening.

If you are patient and can buy this winter on e-bay can get you great return. I picked up my forks for $210 with only 1000 miles on them, the fender for $25 (you'll have to paint the front fender) and the front wheel with polished calipers and CHROMED for $125... not bad. I sold my stock forks for $150, fender for $40 and traded the stock front wheel for a good portion of the chroming cost of the rear. Definitely it is a winter project, better get on it... fork prices go up in the spring, if you can find them... newer '04 R1 forks are probably more spendy, but I've never looked for them.

I would recommend the mod... in my mind a no brainer.

John

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ditto what jshram said. Better control at all times (especially in bumpy turns), more comunicative to handlebars, almost anti-dive when braking, cheap upgrade considering returns.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
FOrgot to mention the rotors for the 04 and up R1 forks are 320mm yours are 298mm. So you'll have to get larger rotors with your 04 and up R1 forks.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Besides the 02/03 fork legs and fender is there anything else you need? Do you need the R1 axle and spacers? Thanks.

Also, is the fender the same from 02-05?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
If you're doing the 02/03 legs you will need the axle as well. Also try and make sure when you get your forks and fender, to get the fender mounting hardware. Otherwise you have to spend $50 to get that as well. As for fender years I'm not sure, but JP would know.

BTW, 98-01 R1 forks use the same Warrior axle, and can use the same chrome fork covers. But you still need an R1 fender and hardware.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
So let me see if I (the newbie) have this straight. If i have an '02 warrior and i want to install '98-'01 R1 forks, all I will need is the fork tubes themselves? I wont need the triple trees or anything else from the R1? I tried to look for this info on other threads and i didnt see it. Doesnt mean its not there just means i didnt see it.
thank you for any help you can provide

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
That is true, or with the 02-03's you will need the axle also. Plus, you will need a front fender. My 03 R1 forks w/axle came in the mail today. I should have them on by this Friday less the fender, which should come next week. I'll let you know how it goes, but I heard it's cake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 Warrior and my outer tubes are badly pitted and need replacing. Where can I get a set of new tubes from and if I use the R1 tubes only will everything else fit?
Also where can I get a new set of them from thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,533 Posts
I have a 2005 Warrior and my outer tubes are badly pitted and need replacing. Where can I get a set of new tubes from and if I use the R1 tubes only will everything else fit?
Also where can I get a new set of them from thanks.
The 1st member on the forum to do the swap of the Upper Fork Tubes is MrWilson with his '2004' ride. In his case he was installing 2001R1 forks that have a Gold finish which he didn't want so he reused his Warrior upper black fork tube and the guts of the R1 forks. So, yes, the proper year R1 upper fork tube can be used for your application.
Here's MrWilson's link: R1 Fork Swap Completed - Unfortunately the images are missing as are many links on this subject matter.
2002-2005 Warriors use the same forks for axially mounted calipers. FWIW, later year Warriors 2006+ have radially mounted calipers and the upper fork tube is shorter.
Some years ago I started to gather components for a 4-piston Radial R1 Install but decided to sell-off the parts when they came out with the 6-piston R1 calipers.
Enclosed below is a snap shot of a Excel spreadsheet that I compiled over the years with limited information. Based on this compilation it looks like you would need to go with the Gold Uppers as I suspect the later year '02-03' will be shorter. Just my thoughts and 2 cents

1 - 18 of 18 Posts