RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone own a pair of rain gear pants that don't disintegrate from the heat coming off the exhaust? I recently had a pair that started disintegrating while I was at a traffic light. I couldn't believe my eyes. Other rain gear I've owned have a hole where the pants are closest to the pipes or I have the pants material stuck to the pipe after I'm done riding.

I've even had my pipes burn a hole in my jeans but that's after a few months. Please add your horror stories to the thread. Let's have a laugh

Happy 4th, everyone!!! Be safe out there!

·
Registered
970 Posts
My old Sportster would burn a hole in my jeans but I was running pipes with no heat shields.
What kind of rain pants are you wearing and are you wearing them when it's not raining?
I've had decent luck with a cheap set of Frogg Toggs they're easy to slip on and slip off and keep you reasonably dry even in full rain. They're super small and easy to pack. Coming back from Canada a few years ago I had to do about 3 hours of riding in moderate rain and while I was pretty wet by the end of the ride it was all from water getting in around the neck wrists and ankles. The rain gear was solid.
I did get a little bit of melting onto my pipes but only very minor and I think that was from right when I got off the bike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My old Sportster would burn a hole in my jeans but I was running pipes with no heat shields.
What kind of rain pants are you wearing and are you wearing them when it's not raining?
I've had decent luck with a cheap set of Frogg Toggs they're easy to slip on and slip off and keep you reasonably dry even in full rain. They're super small and easy to pack. Coming back from Canada a few years ago I had to do about 3 hours of riding in moderate rain and while I was pretty wet by the end of the ride it was all from water getting in around the neck wrists and ankles. The rain gear was solid.
I did get a little bit of melting onto my pipes but only very minor and I think that was from right when I got off the bike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I've only worn rain pants in the rain. Let me first preface by saying that I have short legs. My inseam is 29/30" on a good day. Even at a stop my legs are dangerously close to the pipes especially if I'm not on my tippy toes. My first Warrior caused me the most problems. I had a pair of BUB Chambermaids. They would glow in the dark from the heat without heat wraps. After adding the heat wraps, I bought a Joe Rocket rain suit. The pants part lasted two rides. Then I went through a bunch of overboots to cover the gaping hole in my rain pants, which are made of a sturdier material - sometimes - but have ZERO traction at the sole. Right now, I'm trying out a pair of Columbia ski-pants. They are loose at the legs so I use bungee cords but the material is getting the job done. I've heard of Frogg Toggs and now that I remember they have a very good reputation on the forum. I'll check them out.

A pair of leather chaps could do the trick too.....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Burns jeans too? Are you certain air:fuel is not overly lean at idle?
hahahaha. It takes a couple months. and my legs are short, remember

no, my Warriors don't run lean. they used to but they're tuned. Best header shields I've experienced are the on the OEM headers. Wraps are good too

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I will say that the Warrior being air cooled 1700 will get hot but I ride in shorts all the time so your pipes might be just a bit too hot. You said tuned.....by who and how good, just asking?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will say that the Warrior being air cooled 1700 will get hot but I ride in shorts all the time so your pipes might be just a bit too hot. You said tuned.....by who and how good, just asking?
my mechanic. But I found a new shop. taking her in next week. I agree, pipes are just hot. Not much you can do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well some one that is short as me'same inseam" I have the frog things which are really good ,but I had an old pair of chaps that I cut from below the knee down and I wrap that around my right calf-and snap the few snaps on the chap --perfect!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well some one that is short as me'same inseam" I have the frog things which are really good ,but I had an old pair of chaps that I cut from below the knee down and I wrap that around my right calf-and snap the few snaps on the chap --perfect!!
Yup. Great idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I saw this guy once walking down Peel Street in Tamworth ( Country Music Festival ) wearing a pair of chaps. I said “ how come your wearing chaps on such a hot day ?”. He replied he forgot where he parked his horse. As he walked away I noticed that he had his butt cheeks showing lol 😎😎

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw this guy once walking down Peel Street in Tamworth ( Country Music Festival ) wearing a pair of chaps. I said “ how come your wearing chaps on such a hot day ?”. He replied he forgot where he parked his horse. As he walked away I noticed that he had his butt cheeks showing lol 😎😎

👀👀👀 I think you found a special kind of cowboy

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Are you sure that was a "Country Music Festival" that you were at?

We used to go to Fantasy Fest down in Key West all the time......that guy would fit right in.

·
Registered
629 Posts
There are a couple of manufacturers that offer Nomex panels sewn where they will protect the trousers from melt down. Nomex as you recall is fire retardant, used in flight suits and racing suits.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Here in Australia we have a product called Dry as a bone. These items are usually bought by farmers either in long coats or a combination of coat and pants. Now one thing was found that the material used can handle a fair amount of heat. Back in the day I had one of the long coats and they had fastenings that would go around your legs so that when riding a horse your legs would be covered and protected from the rain. Now when I rode I would do up the same two straps when it looked like rain. There was many a time the material would get scorched from exhaust pipe. It smelt, but wouldn’t burn. It would go stiff from the heat, but wouldn’t go brittle. Maybe you have something like that over there? Btw it was made from cotton, but can’t remember what was put with it to make it so strong. Anyway Google it and see if it would work for you?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Spell check it’s drizabone and they are a bit like an oilskin coat. I had one similar 3/4 length but I had no hot exhaust issues, I wore it to stay dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts