RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a decent ride today and it's hot out, anyway I noticed a very concerning noise coming from in the motor case by the starter sounds like scraping of metal parts or a bearing going, doesn't do it when it's cool. Starter clutch or something in the starter gearing, like and iideler gear, any one every here this and do you know if it needs attention

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mine use to sound like a chaff cutter when starting. Eventually my starter motor karked it ( have pics in my gallery ). When it was removed it showed that the magnets had disintegrated. I had been riding the bike for about 3 months and the mechanic said it had been going for a long time. If I had had a Warrior for a couple of year I would have known the weird sound, but I didn’t. Finding a replacement here in Oz was impossible however, there were some SM that said they were for warriors but they weren’t. So my local Yamaha dealer order a brand new one from Japan. Lucky for me it was warranty work as that SM cost $1,000AUD & retailed first $1,280AUD. As you can see if you can’t find one at a wreckers going new might be the only option. When you convert my figures it will be cheaper in the US, but still expensive. I hope this all helps.

·
Registered
638 Posts
damm that's spendy mate.. mine gave up a cople of years ago, i replaced it with an aftermarket for a wild/roadstar.. which aparantly has more power than the original. couple of years late.. it's still going just fine.. and only cost me $100-150 or so

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
The wild/roadtar starters dont have as much power as the Warriors. If just your magnets broke but the armature is still good the best solution is to buy a Raider starter. You can take your armature and end caps and use the center housing from the raider. The raider uses the same magnets and center section as ours. I suppose you could take the magnets from the raider and glue them in ours.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wild/roadtar starters dont have as much power as the Warriors. If just your magnets broke but the armature is still good the best solution is to buy a Raider starter. You can take your armature and end caps and use the center housing from the raider. The raider uses the same magnets and center section as ours. I suppose you could take the magnets from the raider and glue them in ours.
Hi guys thanks for your input, I don't think it is the starter directly, the noise happens when it's running and hot, what do you guys think about the starter clutch going bad, once the bike starts that one way bearing is supposed to disengage the starter motor I'm sure

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
The Sprague Clutch Bearing, for the Starter, is located on the right hand side of the bike underneath the Alternator Cover and behind the Alternator Rotor.
  • Suggest you review Chapter 5-73 through 5-77 of the YFSM for the component assembly.
I can't say that I recall ever reading of a confirmed failure of the Spraue Bearing on this Forum but do recall mention of its failure over on the FB Yamaha Roadstar Warrior page!

I would suggest using a sounding board or another device to identify the exact area where the rattle or grinding is located and proceed as required ;)

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys thanks for your input, I don't think it is the starter directly, the noise happens when it's running and hot, what do you guys think about the starter clutch going bad, once the bike starts that one way bearing is supposed to disengage the starter motor I'm sure
Also sorry only at ideal
The Sprague Clutch Bearing, for the Starter, is located on the right hand side of the bike underneath the Alternator Cover and behind the Alternator Rotor.
  • Suggest you review Chapter 5-73 through 5-77 of the YFSM for the component assembly.
I can't say that I recall ever reading of a confirmed failure of the Spraue Bearing on this Forum but do recall mention of its failure over on the FB Yamaha Roadstar Warrior page!

I would suggest using a sounding board or another device to identify the exact area where the rattle or grinding is located and proceed as required ;)
Thanks Alan I will get a mechanics stethoscope and see if I can pin it down

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It's either Sprague clutch out an idle gear he bearing

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
Also sorry only at ideal

Thanks Alan I will get a mechanics stethoscope and see if I can pin it down
A 2x2, 2x4 or long handled screw driver (handle end to ear) will do the deed too ;)

·
Administrator
28,599 Posts
Screwdriver. Put the handle to your temple. Don't scratch the paint.

Wood. Watch out for splinters. Sand it down.

Once you have a mechanic's stethoscope you'll be amazed at the uses and the angles you can access with flexibility. Some have a synthetic hard sound-transmitting tip cover. But the bare metal tip is still pretty safe.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How could you please tell me if the right side cover can be removed easily so I can inspect all l parts, afraid to ride it now

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys anyone know if this is normal, I pulled the starter out of my bike and with my finger I could reach in and move the one way gear and it is VERY sloppy I can move it around very easily, is that normal? Can't believe it is

·
Administrator
28,599 Posts
The anti reversing assembly is integrated into a housing that is bolted with 6 bolts to the gear. Everything associated is shaft mounted and hard-bolted including right up to the starter output gear and both idler gears. There should be no slop. Its possible the gear will rotate somewhat in one direction. Try to leave the gear in the same rotational orientation as when the starter came off, although with this design it may not be critical.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts