RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm looking for a simple guess/word of advice. I've went through this bike for the last month and it still has a miss/dead spot, will drop idle and almost quit when warm, etc. I have done the perfect install on my PCIII, had all recalls done, and a few other things. I believe tonight I diagnosed it as the rear cylinder not firing sometimes. It will fill the cylinder full of fuel and then puke it out the exhaust without burning it. I have basically one day to work on it. Getting married and honeymoon, then a month of work, then snow. So I'm hoping like **** I can get this thing fixed tomorrow and be able to enjoy it before the snow flies. What do you guys think? I'm going to pull/check/change the rear plugs and then check wires from there. Is there anything typically "bad" that I should check? Oh also, how exactly do I get the air box out? I have never been this stumped or frustrated with any machine in quite a while. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
955 Posts
There is nothing that goes "Bad", the engines seem to be bullet-proof. Check rear coil for firing. if good; replace both plugs in rear cylinder, (yep, 4 sparkplugs) Are there any codes shown?? Do you have a service manual?
You can download one for free on this site.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ Yep. Every problem/solution I have posted and have completed and fixed... Just none of them have fixed this

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That wouldn't be a recurring issue because it was a front cylinder plug cap... I can post underseat pictures tomorrow. Will also check for codes. Both coils look good in the diag mode...

·
Registered
334 Posts
That wouldn't be a recurring issue because it was a front cylinder plug cap... I can post underseat pictures tomorrow. Will also check for codes. Both coils look good in the diag mode...
Is it possible to swap coils and see if the issue follows the coil? Maybe a bad plug wire...

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Check primary coil wires, a known weak spot. Make sure clean and tight.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i have this problem with an other bike

the stator was broken and because of this the rectifier & regulator assy was killed

can you check this and the ignition coil assy too?

(i hope u understand because of my bad english)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled plugs and they all looked good. Replaced them anyways. Checked coils and all look good. No codes in diag. Still the same thing. Intermittently while idling it will bog and blow smoke/fuel out of the rear cylinder. When riding it will randomly cut power to the rear cylinder and just "click" without firing. Revving the bike and "blowing" it out remedies both problems and it will return to running correctly for a short while. Dunno, lost

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Pulled plugs and they all looked good. Replaced them anyways. Checked coils and all look good. No codes in diag. Still the same thing. Intermittently while idling it will bog and blow smoke/fuel out of the rear cylinder. When riding it will randomly cut power to the rear cylinder and just "click" without firing. Revving the bike and "blowing" it out remedies both problems and it will return to running correctly for a short while. Dunno, lost
I'm going to guess you have a short in one of the plug wires coming from the coil. We have had members report that their wires have deteriorated and corroded so much they fall apart right where they connect to the plug boot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the small primary coil wires need to be removed and checked for corrosion, then clean if needed, then tighten them up a bit with pliers, then put some dielectric grease on them. just looking at them to see if there plugged in does nothing to rule them out. good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would also postpone your wedding a few months or years, just to make sure you have time to get your bike running perfect again.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I traced plug wires and primary wires. Pulled rubber caps, cleaned terminals, etc. I'm not stupid mechanically and have been through most of this bike. In a last second effort I ordered a used coil and plug wire assembly. I'll have a few hours next Tuesday night when I get back from work to swap it in. Hopefully I can update this thread with some good news. My thinking was that it will all be out of the bike. I can go through all facets of that assembly and if the problem still persists I can rule that whole area out...

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
The stock Warrior coils have secondary (spark plug) wires fixed to the coil body as you know. The spark plug end of that secondary wire has a boot on it of course. That boot literally screws onto the end of the spark plug wire. Literally.

There are two spark plugs per cylinder therefore two spark plug wires and therefore two spark plug boots per cylinder. The odds that BOTH are unscrewed is remote. But there's always a chance. Its standard direction thread. Pull the boots off the spark plugs and gently thread them all the way onto the wire. Maybe if it feels wobbly then someone has threaded that one in too tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering if you solved this issue or not? I have a 2006 roadstar and I’m not getting spark to the rear cylinder at all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts