RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got my 02 in for the recall, was never going to do it, but what the heck. its too cold to ride, and im keeping it for now. i got the O.E. 108 kit already (verified 99.975mm JE forged pistons, had to buy rings and head gaskets out of pocket; not a problem). I also have patrick racing cams. I have 32,000 or 38,000 (brain fart) miles on the bike. would you get a new set of lifters for the cams while they are in there? and would the GMC melling lifters work on these cams? or just leave the lifters that came with the cams in there?

doing the 5th gear mod, should i go with the 4nk or the 5vn part #s. does anyone know of a taller 5th gear set that will fit. would love to turn 2100 rpm @ 80mph [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]. with the 108ci and 130ft lbs it should pull it[/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

anything else you guys would get done while they are in there. anything you guys wish you would have done.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
You are definitely doing it the right way! Good deal! Anyway, if you're replacing the cams, I'd say DEFINITELY replace the lifters. The lifters/lobes wear in together. If you had like a couple hundred miles on the motor, then MAYBE keep the lifters, but several thousand - change 'em. From what I've read, the SBC lifters are the same, but I have no personal experience in that area...

...oh, by the way, YOU LUCKY DOG! [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
Well it seems you are doing some of the things I wished I had done when mine was in for recall. But I did none of the above. Yes get the new lifters, what is a few more dollars to insure proper match up with the cams. Do a search there are some post about chevrolet lifters for a certain model being the exact same dimensions needed.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no matt, i have had the 108 O.E. kit, and it has the PR cams already also. they have about 25k total miles on them since the install back in early 03. previous owner installed them, way before the recall even came out. I was never really totally sure i had the 108 kit (previous owner's word). it made too good of dyno #s for stock, but it was verified once the yamaha tech tore into my motor this week. so the previous owner's word is good. he sold me the warrior to buy a FJR. funny thing is, i was thinking of selling my warrior for a sport tourer also. Im keeping her now though. this is the best bike to have if you are single /emoticons/emotion-1.gif. I'll get a sport tourer later when i can afford to keep both bikes.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Ah, understanding. I wish I would've gotten that rodie 5th though... I don't know what is the tallest, but I'd get the tallest. 5th is strictly for the highway anyways, I wish yammi would have put a really tall sucker in stock.

Yeah, I plan on an FJR to add to the stable in the next couple years, but the Warrior stays!

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I just wish I had done the 5th gear swap so you're covering that. As for lifters, I would go with whatever Patrick Racing suggests since I know they have great service. Not sure if I should have got some headwork done but I have heard that short rear exhaust header is worth a couple of HP when ported properly. Apparently a valve job etc could have helped a lot but I'm pretty happy with my dyno'd 92hp and 125ft/lbs. The shape of the power curve is really important especially since low end power is important to me. Good luck and enjoy! Oh yes, your clutch may show signs of slipping like mine did after the mods. I just bought the Star spring which took care of it but the 'pull' is much stiffer. The SS Barnett clutch cable is best too:}

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i feel the same way. going to ride this bike til it dies. hopefully i got a longer lease on life with it going through the recall, new rings and all. the tech at the yamaha shop i dropped it off at has done all the recall bikes. he seems to know his stuff. in his late 30s. just glad i did not end up with a 20 year old straight out of MMI working on my bike. crossing my fingers the bike comes out good, and not bothced up like they did ohiomike's bike.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
andrew, thanks for the tips. the previous owner also match ported the heads to the intake and exhaust. he was a pretty good mechanic from what i can tell ( honest too, im finding out now /emoticons/emotion-1.gif). mikey and I replaced the entire clutch last year, replaced the half plates with fulls, and a V-max clutch spring. got all new steels and friction even the one behind the wire ring was replaced. my old plates were fine was only .001 wear, and the steels were not blue (it ended up being my cable out of adj, causing the slip b4) my best dyno was 103hp & 129 ft/lbs but i was also running a (light carcus) 190mm sport bike tire. you guys that have never tried a 190 rear should try it. the bike turns in soo much better. i had my bike for sale, pre recall, did not get much traffic, and im glad i didnt now. i get to take advantage of the recall myself and keep her. only costing me about 300 out of pocket to do all of it. and I am getting a new gas tank. I am interested to see what dyno #s it pulls after the recall/break in, new rings, cometic head gaskets and all.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I don't think there are any taller 5ths that will fit other than the roadie.
You are going to love the roadie 5th though.One of the best mods for the $$.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. They can by a nightmare.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would use the same lifters if you had no problems. Just be sure to put them back on the same lobe they were on when it was disassembled. If your cam is being installed new, always use new lifters.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nope same pr cam that was in it b4, was just thinking of putting new lifters in it since they had it apart.
yeah randy, i am hopeing all goes well. rings and head gaskets should be here tues/wen

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Yup, I hear what you're saying about the 190! Having said that, I went with a 200 Storm:} My girlfriend couldn't wait to change the 180 back to a 160 on her Vulcan 1600:} I really notice the difference going to a 240 but it sure looks good:} Keep in touch with what happens after the recall:}

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well. i got all my parts in, 108 rings, cometic headgaskets, the sealed power lifers from summit, and come to find out. i do in fact have a PR Cam, with the adjustable push rods, along with the ceramic faced lifters. so the stock replacement lifters are no good for me. anyone reading this needs a "new in box" set of lifters for a stock cam; first one to call dibs gets them. just please dont ask for them if you dont need them. would like to find someone in need, not just to have laying around /emoticons/emotion-1.gif. I ordered 5 of them, incase 1 was bad from the factory (you dont know my luck) so if you NEED them, post here and I'll send you a PM getting your info. i have to buy the "overpriced" ceramic faced lifters (sucks for me). but all will be new internals after the recall.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'll take those lifters...Did you get the roadie 5th gear set? I have set new in the packaging if you're intersted...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey ross, you rebuilding your bike? yes i got the gear set. i got the 4n models for the 02 warrior with the smaller dogs on the gear. the shop doing the recall cut me a deal on them that i could not pass up. you should be able to return your gear set in exchange for the newer ones you need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts