RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read yamaha's manual on how to break in a new motor, anyone have any tried and true technics for breaking in a rebuilt motor
Thanks,
Sharky

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
There have been about 3 threads like this in the last week!!!!!!! pretty much everyone agrees on using the hard break in method .... see forhttp://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm for more information. Most people are saying if you go by the manual your engine will be crap.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I took me advise off Oly's link.
I've been riding like I stole it. Watch for the Po-Po;
I lit mine up and saw the cop just in time to engine break
hard and regular break so that I happened to look like Joe
Citizen when crossing his path. Close though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yep, did nearly 400 miles on it the day after I got it back and rode it hard. The PCIII still has to be reset.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moot point guys, I could'nt stay off the gas even if I wanted to after picking it up from the shop some dyna rider wanted to go at a stop light. They never learn.
200mm thanks bro but my bike is like my lady, no one rides her but me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the stage IV kit installed before my bike left the dealer. When I picked it up, the service guy told me the bike was "real strong". I can only assume the test rider didn't follow the manual - its hard to be real strong reving to 2500rpm. I've put 250 miles on the bike in the last two weeks and couldn't help but wind it out a few times. I find it hard to believe it takes 1000 miles to polish the interior parts and I have not noticed any smoke, oil burning or other problems from reving it hard now and again.

Years ago (the mid 1970s), I had a Trans Am hopped up. The mechanic (who ended up going to work for a race team out of Michigan) broke it in by taking the car out to the country and doing a number of runs up to redline followed by engine deceleration. He said that was how to best seal the rings. He said it did not hurt the rest of the engine. Sounds to me like the same technique recommended at the above thread. The engine never had a problem in 3 years of hard driving.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I try to give everything that is to be broken in 100 miles then ride it, drive it, or screw it like you stole it!

·
Registered
703 Posts
There is a middle of the road alternative. 5-10 good heat cycles, change oil and filter, then varied rpm working up to but not beating on the red line for 500 miles, then change the oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts